Styrofoam target for crossbow!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rudolph

Styrofoam target for crossbow!

Post by Rudolph »

I decided to save some money and to make my own crossbow target from thermal isolation plates. It costs me 1/3 of a real target, so why don't give it a shot.
Well, because it is a stupid idea.
Yesterday I went on a shooting range, placed my pink 2 X 2 X 2 feet styrofoam block and shot a GT 4 from my phoenix from point blank. The arrow penetrated 2/3 of its length. All seemed good, until I tried to pull it out. It didn't come out at all. It was like glued. I shot my remaining 8 arrows in the block. The phoenix is really smooth shooting bow. I like how the recoil pushes you, without a minimal amount of vibrations at the end. Anyways. Soon I was out of arrows and I destroyed the block. The reason why the arrows did not come out, was because the temperature by the impact the arrow molds the styrofoam (it only needs 240C) and the first 3-5 inches of the arrow are literally glued to the block :evil: Styrofoam target for crossbow= very stupid idea. Now I have also some GTs to clean. :oops:
2012 Phoenix
Dash

Re: Styrofoam target for crossbow!

Post by Dash »

The best (and cheapest) target for a crossbow is an old feed bag packed full of rags or ripped up sheets etc. Stops bolts no problem, but best of all the bolts will pull out with 2 fingers :wink:
For testing broadheads you'll need another type of target.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

hehehe thats why I changed my rag bags from shrink wrap to old cloths. Shrink wrap stopped arrows fine and target was 50 pounds lighter but it made a mess of my arrows and had to scrape them with a knife. We learn by our mistakes.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Actually i don't knowed if'en its the cheapest but a big pile of sand & card board targets really do well. Carbon arrows fair better than alum. Alun. will become polished :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Use a bit of lube on the first inch of your arrow for any foam target - it will help prevent the "weld". Also, use a Danny Miller puller to gently twist the arrow 1/8 turn to break the "weld" before pulling. Don't pull at an angle - make sure you always pull straight back (don't stand behind the arrow when you pull - stand beside it).

Sorry - just blurting out some random arrow pulling stuff there. :oops:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Rudolph

Post by Rudolph »

Thanks for the advice VixChix. The arrows were pre- lubed with some rail lube (ordered by mistake). Seems that the lube was not enough. Now I'll just order a normal target, like the normal people do :oops: The main thing is that this phoenix shoots so smooth and the trigger is good and I even don't have e problem with the peep sights and the overall balance. Can not wait for the new target to arrive :D .
2012 Phoenix
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Rudolph wrote:Now I'll just order a normal target, like the normal people do :oops:
What did you order?
Rudolph

Post by Rudolph »

I have not decided yet, this target STRONGHOLD CROSSBOW I seems to be good enough, it is rated up to 350 fps.
http://www.bogensportwelt.de/STRONGHOLD ... 60x60x20cm
But there is different sizes Target Tech RHINO and Bearpaw HP Strong Block. Which of these targets can serve me longer? Do you have some experience with some of these targets?
2012 Phoenix
TrevorOntario

Post by TrevorOntario »

To go one step further on the rags in the bag target.
I found that even tightly stuffed rags/clothes there are still a few weak spots where my 380 buried the bolts, so...
With the same concept in mind, I started with an old blanket.
Laid it out flat and folded the side edges in towards the middle so the final width is slightly smaller than the height a corn feed bag.
I then placed old shirts and blankets and such to cover the blanket evenly.
I then tightly rolled it up so the finished diameter was the same as the corn feed bag.
I then stuffed this roll in the corn feed bag.
Now it seems like I can hit the target anywhere and i am going through the same amount of layers.
I will take some pics.
20 yards my bolts are approx 1/2 way in.
My kids fetch my arrows for me

When the bag gets all shot up, just drop the whole thing into a new bag.
ngamokai

Post by ngamokai »

OK guys, rags are ok but are heavy to lug about, and do not stop arrows all the time.
Use neoprene, get hold of a wetsuit maker or a company that makes waders and ask for off cuts, you will need a fair bit to stuff in a bag but it works and is light. Stops my matrix arrows very well.
Dream as if you'll live for ever, Live as if you'll die today!
http://www.bowandfishnz.com
KATIPO matrix 380 blackout
Dash

Post by Dash »

They used shreaded wet suit material filled targets here for the world championships and it worked quite well. But its as rare as rocking horse crap around here. I think there's quite a few uses for the scrap stuff so its still in demand :roll:
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

rag bags ... very hard to beat :)
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

Rudolph. You think your arrows were messed up, you ain't seen nuttin. I got this wild idea to try and restore a shot up block target by putting the tube on a can of that spray insulating foam like you buy at the building supply and sticking that tube deep into several of arrow holes and spraying. Thought a week should be sufficient to let it cure so decided to test it. Wow, I thought, it stopped my broahheads great. I am so smart...eh eh eh. Shot six at different spots and went to pull them. Deep inside a block target foam doesn't cure in a week. After a near double hernia I finally got them out and noticed some were stil sticky. By this time I had that "sticky" everywhere. I promise you spray insulation half dried and half sticky does not want to come off even with acetone, especially carbon composits. My hands looked like I had them tattooed in a blotchy manure brown for three weeks. It had to grow off. Finally got half the arrows cleaned, the rest, well they got tossed along with a pair of jeans, a shirt and an old pair of crocks. I still haven't figured out how I got that dried foam in a wad of hair in my belly button. Cheers
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

i pack old beer cartons with old newspapers. costs nothing and great stopping power.
Rudolph

Post by Rudolph »

Mister B, that's a cool idea taken to the next level :D .
I have one more target concept, this one is so idiotic it might actually work. The idea is real self healing crossbow target, which is a container (a bucket, a carton, whatever)+ Non-Newtonian fluid in it. It should be something like putting a whole into pudding. The wholes "heal" automatically and you can shoot the thing forever :mrgreen: . Cool concept.
2012 Phoenix