Watchin Deer From Ladder Stand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Watchin Deer From Ladder Stand

Post by vixenmaster »

How many of y'all pay attention to their lookin as the come close to yer stand. I watch them alot even in the off season out of my stands. One thing comes to mind at the ladder stand at feeder. The older deer start lookin up into my stand while am watchin them. The small fawns of the yr seldom pay any mind to you or the stand itself. If'en i blend in well & don't stink the older ones always are head on to me always lookin. They jus picked that stand out & its jus not right to them. So i will move the stand North of where its at now, will be 32 yds to feeder itself. When older Doe's aren't comfortable at feeder the bigger Bucks can tell & stay back up into the blk jack oak thickets. I seldom ever have a deer of any age pickup on me where my hang-on stands are or my climber. Ladder stands jus stand out like a sore!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
evaughan

Re: Watchin Deer From Ladder Stand

Post by evaughan »

For years at our hunt camp, practice has been to hunt new areas with portables then build permanent box blinds in the spots that produce well. Invariably, we have found that the spot isn't as good after the box blind is erected. Portable hangers just seem to kill more deer.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Since bowhunters started using tree stand some years back deer have acclimated to immediately look up when approaching a food source. They never used to do that as they had very few is any predator5s that came from above. Years back I put a mannequin in my tree stand and sat in a ground blind to see what the reaction was, The deer came in on a trail and immediately looked up to the treestand but payed no attention the ground blind
In the past few years they ignore a ground blind when it is camoflaged well but after sitting in it several times they become leery of it, so I have to move it. They get smarter and smarter every year!
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
IH8ATTN

Post by IH8ATTN »

Ya its crazy how smart they are becoming but only the strongest..and smartest survive. I sat in 2 separate tree stands depending on wind and what my gut feeling says. Some days they would go up to the bait pile sniff here and there and carry on but some were reluctant from 110 yards and made it for a long and painful wait, then 60 yards and noses right up in the air, they knew something was up, no pun intended. I hear of all these things like Ozonics and what not but I don't think I would drop 300 bucks even if it worked. I started using scent killer but even weary on that. I try to be one step ahead of them but its always a crap shoot when you go out. I think that's hunting though, yea you can spend 1,000's on gadgets and scent blocker this and that but if its meant to happen, it will, if not maybe next time. I got my first buck ever and it was a dandy on November 5th, during the rut so you know they only have one thing on their mind. Its those times they slip up and those are the times you have an advantage of the situation. Good luck everyone in the upcoming season, I am counting the days!
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »