Leuopld

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sloppy Does

Leuopld

Post by Sloppy Does »

Is there any difference between the 2-7x33 shotgun scope and the crossbones besides price and the reticle? Or is it the same scope other than that?
Axe 340
308 SHORT
ZEISS XB 75
paxbowhunter

Re: Leuopld

Post by paxbowhunter »

Pretty sure its a different scope. Also alot of people have said leupold threw that scope together to get into the market and it isnt comparable to some other models out there.

I have not tried one personally just going off what others said.

Edit: Changed some wording around to further explain.
Last edited by paxbowhunter on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355
2012 Excalibur Apex
Normous

Post by Normous »

In the Master Leupold catalogue they both weigh exactly 9.9 oz. The tube is the same but I don't know if the glass is equal in both. IMO they are close.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Dash

Post by Dash »

Its funny, I've heard many negative opinions here on the crossbones scope since it came out, but the people who gave negative opinions hadn't actually tried one themselves :wink:
I've used many scopes but the crossbones is still by far the clearest crossbow scope in low light Ive tried. Thats comparing against the 2 x excal scopes and 3 x hawks at dusk. They didn't come close to the crossbones.
I also have the leupold 2x7 shotgun scope. Both have great clarity, just depends what type of setup you want personally (recticle). For close up hunting only maybe the 2x7 will suit you, but for a bigger range of shots to longer distances I'd lean towards the crossbones.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

the crossbones uses the VXI glass. i own and have used them and like them much.the click adjustments arent like most crossbow scopes thats why people say they were rushed to market i guess. theres many shooters out there that use a whatever model rifle scope on there xbow. the way the crossbones adjusts doesnt bother me.if your shooting 20 or 30 yards i think a regular VX1 2x7x33 would be awesome.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Sloppy Does wrote:Is there any difference between the 2-7x33 shotgun scope and the crossbones besides price and the reticle? Or is it the same scope other than that?
Yes, It's the same VX-1 scope body and glass, so other than parallax and markings they are the same scopes.

The Leupold Shotgun scope parallax is set at 75 yards.

The Leupold Crossbones scope parallax is set at 40 yards, plus it has a speed ring that goes up too 425 FPS.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Todd I

Re: Matrix 380

Post by Todd I »

Hey everyone. Shooting the new 380 with GT Laser II pro series (cut to "18), 3" fussion vanes tipped with 100 grain NAP spitfire max. Also using the Nockturnals. Seems to be a nice combo. Having one issue with the scope being very blurry. It almost seems like a film on the inside of the lens. Contemplating switching to the Leupold crossbones. Any opinions?
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I tried the Crossbones scope on my Equinox BUT could not get it adjusted for the vertical without using shims and/or something else as the adjustment had maxed out. However, there are several folks that have the Crossbones installed on their Excals and they have no problem with them what-so-ever. I currently have the Nikon Bolt Xr scope installed and as far as I am concerned it is the best CB scope. JMHO
Last edited by Deerstalker on Tue May 07, 2013 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Todd I wrote:Hey everyone. Shooting the new 380 with GT Laser II pro series (cut to "18), 3" fussion vanes tipped with 100 grain NAP spitfire max. Also using the Nockturnals. Seems to be a nice combo. Having one issue with the scope being very blurry. It almost seems like a film on the inside of the lens. Contemplating switching to the Leupold crossbones. Any opinions?
I am sure Excalibur would quickly replace the Tact-Zone scope.

The Leupold Crossbones would work flawlessly. It is made in the U.S.A. only weighs 9.9 ounces and is crystal clear which will gather light under those last critical minutes of hunting. I suggest mounting it with Leupold rifleman detachable low rings.

I have the Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 scope mounted low with the rings I mentioned above and has the same body size on the Leupold Crossbones.

Andrew

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

yooper_man wrote:The Leupold Crossbones would work flawlessly. It is made in the U.S.A.
Andrew
Are you sure? I have read that they are made off shore. Perhaps assembled in the US, but made elsewhere.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Pydpiper wrote:
yooper_man wrote:The Leupold Crossbones would work flawlessly. It is made in the U.S.A.
Andrew
Are you sure? I have read that they are made off shore. Perhaps assembled in the US, but made elsewhere.
Yep, all Gold Ring, Leupold scopes, are designed, manufactured and built in Oregon. Leupold does import glass from companies in Japan and Germany.

The Leupold Crossbones is a Gold Ring scope.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,
Andrew

Todd I

Post by Todd I »

Thanks Andrew, I have three 2-7 VX II's on various firearms and love them all. Sending the tac-zone back for warranty, but I'm all in with the Leupold. I'll, also try the leupold low rings. The excalibur base should work fine, right?

Todd
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

yooper_man wrote: I hope this helps you.

Regards,
Andrew
It does, thanks!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Todd I wrote:Thanks Andrew, I have three 2-7 VX II's on various firearms and love them all. Sending the tac-zone back for warranty, but I'm all in with the Leupold. I'll, also try the leupold low rings. The excalibur base should work fine, right?

Todd
Yes you use your Excalibur base.

I went without ballistic reticle, because I don't care to use them for my needs. I sighted my Equinox in at 25 yards and plan on shooting from zero to 30 yards using the center crosshairs only. I still have to do more testing are various ranges.

Andrew