Why would anyone want a compound?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shyoldman

Why would anyone want a compound?

Post by Shyoldman »

I got my Axiom because it was a recurve, and the Vortex because the Axiom was so good. They are the cream,the pinnacle.
Quite,smooth ,simple,reliable, so why would ANYONE want a compound?
Pydpiper

Re: Why would anyone want a compound?

Post by Pydpiper »

Smaller, faster and quieter are the first things that come to my mind.
But maintainance and downtime keep the ball in the recurve court for most.
My next bow will be an Excalibur compound, just not easy to find these days.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
munch

Post by munch »

i bought excalibur exocet for my first deer hunting bow.excal just makes it so easy i wanted to try a compound bow so bought an old pse. now i cant begin to count the compound bows ive owned .i bought a new mathews helium last year and poked one deer with it then shot 3 more with crossbows .i do get more enjoyment hunting with a compound but the excals have saved me a couple years when i had health issues . i will keep shooting compounds when i can because i know i soon will be forced to only shot the xbows .i try to buy a new bow every year and this year hope to buy a matrix if things go right
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I love to play around with my APA, the compound is fun to shoot with. There is a certain amount of pleasure when it's not shooting worth a dang to trouble shoot the problem and get it shooting bullet holes again, and when it pushes me too far I just grab the Excalibur
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

My answer to your question is I personally would not own one again. I had a Parker many moons ago and since Ive had Excalibur Ive never looked back and wondered about the same question you are asking. Even if I never bought another Excalibur then there is no doubt that I would buy another recurve. Probably Kodabow or TenPoint but definitely a recurve.
Now if we can find out why people drive faster than the posted speed limit :lol:
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I was once busted for speeding by an officer with the last name Middleton. That hurt. Talk about adding insult to injury!

He was cool tho. It started rough but he cooled off once we talked a bit. I didn't mention his last name just in case he was related, in which case with my past history the interaction could only have gone downhill..
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

Pydpiper wrote:Smaller, faster and quieter are the first things that come to my mind.
But maintainance and downtime keep the ball in the recurve court for most.
My next bow will be an Excalibur compound, just not easy to find these days.
There is a used one on the rack at shooters right now.
Team Dryfire
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I've got both and see the differences, plus and minuses. Get one yourself then you won't have to ask. One size does not fit all.....unless you only have resources for one.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Shyoldman

Post by Shyoldman »

Of course I meant crossbows,have Martin and Mathews compounds too Went back to recurve when I was mentoring 50 times a year then too longbows.
Hot Pepper Dude

Post by Hot Pepper Dude »

I own a Bear Black Bear compound bow and enjoy the feeling of releasing the arrow by my own hand, and into the vitals of my intended target. I also own an Excalibur Exocet, and enjoy shooting it when the temperatures drop and movement is more difficult. Each has it's merits and downfalls given the situation and time of year. Enjoy both, or only one. Just enjoy and do not put one against the other. To each his/her own O.K.?

Regards, H.P.D.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Shyoldman wrote:I got my Axiom because it was a recurve, and the Vortex because the Axiom was so good. They are the cream,the pinnacle.
Quite,smooth ,simple,reliable, so why would ANYONE want a compound?
I think the O.P. is asking about recurve and compound crossbows!!!!

I don't think this is a crossbow vs. vertical bow comparison, but I could be wrong.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D :lol: :lol: i'm pretty sure he's talking crossbows here. i love my recurve,very forgiving. i could not imagin dry firing a compound,would not be pretty.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
coop

Post by coop »

I have both, My SZ 380 is so much quieter than my Vortex, faster, much smaller footprint, much better trigger, weight roughly same, accuracy roughly same. So that's why I own a Compound Xbow. I do like my Vortex, but the Bowtech meets more of my requirements and has taken over as my hunter.
M405+Swhacker=Awesome
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

They're alot of good compound crossbows out there but since I've been a proud owner of an Excal I don't want a compound crossbow even though some are smaller and quieter. My next crossbow will be a Matrix just don't know which one yet. I've killed just about everything I wanted to with my Vortex and I just love it. I would like to have an Ibex also one day just so many choices.

Some of my friends think I'm crazy because I shoot 3D archery tournaments all spring and summer with the vertical bow and then go to the crossbow for hunting. The thing is I've killed a lot of animals with the vertical bow as well but I just love my crossbow for hunting.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Back when I bought new my carved tip Exocet 165 in the mid-1990's there were other crossbows on the market of course, including compound crossbows, but if you were serious about quality there was Excalibur, then there was everybody else.

Since then the competition has come a long way. I'm not sure how many of the current crop of compound crossbows could hold up, season after season, on the 3D circuit, but just for hunting you could get a lifetime of satisfaction from some of them.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount