Broadhead troubles???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

goosesmasher

Broadhead troubles???

Post by goosesmasher »

Hello all,I've been trying to get my exomax set up for turkey season this spring. For deer hunting I use firebolts and boltcutters and they work great for me but I'm trying to find a 100 gr. broadhead for turkey hunting so I can flatten the trajectory a little bit and I don't need the penetration the 150 gr. boltcutters provide. So far I've tried the nap. gobbler getter spitfires and the excal. exact mechanicals and I've been very disappointed with both of them. They are both very erractic hitting all over my target bag at thirty yards. I thought the mechcanical heads were easier to use but this hasn't been the case for me. Anyone else ever have problems with these broadheads before out of an exomax? I'm thinking I might try a 100 gr. fixed blade instead. Any suggestions? If I have to I can just use my deer set up.

Goose smasher
ShooterJohn

Re: Broadhead troubles???

Post by ShooterJohn »

I was told by a few long time hunters on this forum - to go with G5 or Slick Tricks fixed. They were right.. Amazing - both of them work great. :D

Good luck
- Dog's are mans best friend !

" Carpe Diem"

" Amare parentes tuos "

OFAH , Ducks Unlimited, NRA , WWJD.
Cryon

Post by Cryon »

Sounds like you need a bit more weight up front on your arrows with the Exomax. Try 125 gr field tips in them and see what happens before you bite the bullet and buy some 125 gr broadheads.

Also just be sure the mechanicals aren't opening prematurely in flight before they are striking the target.
Unlikely scenario but worth checking.

Let us know what happens.
Exocet 165
Vixen Deluxe
Shadow Zone
Ibex SMF
Boo Custom Strings
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
goosesmasher

Post by goosesmasher »

The spitfires were opening in flight but the exact's didn't seem to be. Heavier might be the ticket. The bow loves the 150's.

Goose smasher
Calcobrena

Post by Calcobrena »

slicktrick150s here. the heavier front helps stabilizes the flight of shorter arrows and those damn STs are just so damn aerodynamic :) but if you dont like your arrows going through the birds, you could always pick up some of those grasshoppers to put in behind your tip. not sure if they actually work though :) You could always just try to get closer to the turkey to flatten your trajectory ;)
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
Slick Trick STX150 Xbow Trick 150 Grain on Diablo 18" Carbon Bolts
Nikon Archer's Choice MAX Rangefinder
Ameristep "Sisterhood" Ground Blind
DSD Upright Hen
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Just shoot your 150 gr boltcutters. They will work great. If you want to slow the penetration, put a muzzy grasshopper on your arrow.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Calcobrena

Post by Calcobrena »

LOL me and UPSMAN made such similar posts at almost the same time! funny!
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
Slick Trick STX150 Xbow Trick 150 Grain on Diablo 18" Carbon Bolts
Nikon Archer's Choice MAX Rangefinder
Ameristep "Sisterhood" Ground Blind
DSD Upright Hen

Post by newbie »

I had the same issue. add mor foc you will be good to go. Now all my arrows will wear brass upfront have a wider range of broadheads you will be able to use.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Chefrific

Post by Chefrific »

My vortex LOVES the 125 grain NAP Gobbler getter. Shoots exactly like my field points out to 40 yards.
-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex
goosesmasher

Post by goosesmasher »

Thanks for all your help everyone. I guess I'll just stick to my boltcutters for this year.

Goose smasher
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Need to get your FOC higher...18-20% range to stabilize your arrow. Boltcutters work fine for turkey's. I prefer 125 grain spitfires myself. Have taken a lot of different critters with them and they fly pretty close to my field points. Plus...you can buy the practice blades and convert your used broadheads into practice heads. My 2 cents!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

You can forget the Grappler type add ons w/ an Emax, even the undersize 21/64th shoot off the arrows. They mess the vanes up too...........
"Eze 18:21"