Sectional Density

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rej

Sectional Density

Post by rej »

In a recent posting here I was inquiring about arrow length and weight. The analogy of bullet weight was used in one of the replies I got. I had overlooked this and it felt foolish as I do a lot of Center and Rimfire shooting. It also got me curious. Sectional density is an important consideration when selecting bullets. I have seen that the manufacturers of BH's make the bodies out of aluminum, steel, stainless steel and who knows what. Blades are generally some kind of carbon steel or stainless. I see KE numbers but have yet too see SD OR BC numbers. With the ranges practical for a xbow this is taking it to the far side but I see some are posting about 100 yd. shooting. At that range these numbers become meaningful as they deal with downrange performance. Is this kind of info available? Seems you would need numbers for the shaft as well as it has length, diameter and a couple of inserts of different weight. Hmmmmm....wonder when we will see the first tips made of depleted uranium. They could make those small and improve arrow dynamics.
awshucks

Re: Sectional Density

Post by awshucks »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: That's getting pretty deep for a 40 yd weapon. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

All that fancy mumbo jumbo number stuff makes my head hurt!! :shock:
I just grab one of my excal's...screw on a slick trick and go kill something!!! :D :D don't get no easier than that. :mrgreen:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

I try to live with KISS
keep it simple stupid.
I have tried different set ups
With talking with Danny Miller
He reminded me that The Firebolt with a Bolt cutter is basically
all you need.
All I have changed is a wrap and 2 inch blazer vanes.
They kill out to 50yrds
I have nothing against people trying different things and experimenting.
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You can't equate a bullets SD & B C to an arrow shaft even a bare one. Jus isn't goin to work. Lets say you took a slick trick & shot it into a sand pile at 10 yds & shot a 150 gr 30-06 into same sand pile at 10 yds. The BH will go into sand pile deeper! Thats a fact.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Calcobrena

Post by Calcobrena »

arrows. bullets. apples. oranges. Although you were specifically talking about the 100yd range you're going to be hard pressed to find a practical interest in shooting game 300 feet away with a crossbow. Even with the accuracy, you're going to lose enough KE that many will consider the shot unethical on large game. :) In the practical context, the two are just two very very different. What you are considering is an intense physics project that would be so incredibly bow-specific it would be difficult to generalize the information to the entire xbow community. It would kinda be a buzzkill. :)
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
Slick Trick STX150 Xbow Trick 150 Grain on Diablo 18" Carbon Bolts
Nikon Archer's Choice MAX Rangefinder
Ameristep "Sisterhood" Ground Blind
DSD Upright Hen
Bones

Post by Bones »

deleted.