Matrix 355 vs. Matrix 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Matrix 355 vs. Matrix 380

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
First off, I was wondering what the serving life is like on the Matrix 355 and the Matrix 380 crossbows, is there any difference in the serving life between the two?
Secondly, when I purchase a crossbow as a package deal I like to have everything on it that I can at the time. So what is missing off of the Matrix 355 that is already on the Matrix 380, other than the speed difference and the colors?
Thank you,
Raymond
ShooterJohn

Re: Matrix 355 vs. Matrix 380

Post by ShooterJohn »

Hi Raymond...

As far as I know, the missing items are; a cheek piece, R.E.D.S bumpers and anti - dry fire system .

Hope that helps Ray. That totals about $170 - 200 for the 3 items.

All the best.
:D
- Dog's are mans best friend !

" Carpe Diem"

" Amare parentes tuos "

OFAH , Ducks Unlimited, NRA , WWJD.
volfan

Post by volfan »

I'm thinking I may have messed up getting the 355 instead of the 380.
Matrix 355
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

volfan wrote:I'm thinking I may have messed up getting the 355 instead of the 380.
I don't think so, what is the other 20fps good fer? I shoot a vixen that gets 240 fps & it misses nutten out to 35 yds!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
cspot

Post by cspot »

Don't have the 355, so I can't comment on it. I do have the 380. Serving wear has been surprisingly very good. I had hundreds of shots on the original and it still looked good. Only reason I changed it was I bought a custom Flemish from Vixenmaster. Like someone mentioned the 355 doesn't come standard with the REDDS, anti-dryfire, and the cheekpiece. I was actually planning on buying the 355, but I wanted the REDDS and cheekpiece also. If I would have added them, the price would have been getting close to the 380. The other deciding factor is I liked the black color.
Excalibur Matrix 330, Micro 335
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

cspot wrote:Don't have the 355, so I can't comment on it. I do have the 380. Serving wear has been surprisingly very good. I had hundreds of shots on the original and it still looked good. Only reason I changed it was I bought a custom Flemish from Vixenmaster. Like someone mentioned the 355 doesn't come standard with the REDDS, anti-dryfire, and the cheekpiece. I was actually planning on buying the 355, but I wanted the REDDS and cheekpiece also. If I would have added them, the price would have been getting close to the 380. The other deciding factor is I liked the black color.
For someone who wants a cheek piece, a Guardian ADF, and the REDS it would only make sense to buy the Matrix 380 and then you get the choice of full camo or black also.

What kind of factory string comes with these Matric crossbows? They appear to be an endless loop string in the photo on their web page. I must say that hundreds of shots sounds pretty good on the original string. Now , off course I am judging that to my Equinox, that was terrible, I got maybe 25 shots on a factory string before the serving would separate at the right side of the trigger claws where it was holding the string. Even with a Flemish handmade string it is still hard on the serving. Hopefully this Matrix line-up will be easier on the servings. Is the trigger assembly with the Matrix line-up any different than what the Equinox and the Exomax have?

Thanks,
Raymond
Calcobrena

Post by Calcobrena »

I think the key selling points of the 355 is are the shorter powerstroke for SLIGHTLY easier cocking and lighter weight, but it really isn't that great a difference. I KIND of understand it but it's pricing feels off. Unless those two points are VERY important to you, it makes more sense to go with the 380 because by the time you purchase the stuff the 355 package doesn't include, you basically own a slower 380 for the same price.

Oh, and the 355 doesn't offer color options. I just don't get it...

But I went with the 380 camo anyways. My clothes are realtree so it breaks up my outline nice :)
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
Slick Trick STX150 Xbow Trick 150 Grain on Diablo 18" Carbon Bolts
Nikon Archer's Choice MAX Rangefinder
Ameristep "Sisterhood" Ground Blind
DSD Upright Hen

Post by newbie »

I'm just about to purchase the 355 as well. I am going with this over the 380 for a few different reasons. the 355 is plenty fast, faster the my vortex was. I don't need the cheek piece, tried both feels better without. I don't want the guardian, just another thing that could go wrong break down. The r.e.d.s I will add probbly in the future but I will try the bow without it for a while. the last two things are it felt better balanced to me when I shouldered it and I personally like the look of the non camo rail. The rail felt smoother without the camo finish on it I am unsure if it will effect the serving life or not. Oh and I'm not sure I would want to cock the 380 for an extended target shoot, but its just my opinion.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

mine was an easy decison black only on this one.i dont think this is that hard cock. if in doubt get a crank.
automated11

Post by automated11 »

Raymond,

There is a couple things to think about. One is the redds system. The bumpers are the same one on the S5 and they seem to wear out quickly, if you have them try to keep a string width space between the string and the bumpers for longer life. I shot both the redds / S5 and the thetinker style with the 3/8 bow stoppers, I prefer thetinker style. I have over 200 shots on thetinker style and no noticeable wear. So if you would change there is money down the tube right there. If you know someone who machines you could easily have them made up. Mine were free :mrgreen: So all I had to buy was the rubber bumper and a 2 stainless set screws. A total of $12. I didn't care for the cheek piece either but you may. What I did find as a good cheekpiece was the better 1/2" black pipe insulation. If you put a piece of double sided tape on top of your stock the insulation holds fine. So that's another savings. From what I understand the serving wear is better on the 355 than the 380 but I do not have personal experience with that. Then onto the anti-dryfire scope mount. I feel its just another piece on the bow that can fail, my way of thinking. I have a shot sequence I follow all the time to make sure I don't have a dry fire but even if you would Im sure excal would take care of you.
Super Vixen - AKA Matrix 355 with Vixen II Stock
Buggy Bumpers
Gold Tip Laser 4 Arrows with Swhacker 125 Heads
Miller Quiver Mount
Leupold Shotgun Scope (Miller)
Flemish String

Micro 355 Tact-zone Package, soon to be modded.
Calcobrena

Post by Calcobrena »

I'm a weak girl and I have no problem spanning and "unspanning" my Matrix 380. If you are decently tall, it doesn't matter. I'm 5'9".

But anywho, I'm getting off track. The thing is, I understand that you may not want/need those extra things that come in the 380 package, but you can always take them off if you don't like them and even sell them and have a 380 for the price of a 355. It isn't the 355 that doesn't make sense it's the price of it. It should probably run about $849 (about $250 less than the 380). THEN it would make a little more sense to save the money and only buy the features you want. If you don't want Guardian and REDS and cheekpiece, then buy the 380, and sell those parts to a 355 owner who wants them. That's $200 of stuff. The 380 is only $150 more. You'd have a faster bow without the stuff you didn't want for less (or about the same) cost as a 355.
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
DSD Upright Hen
automated11

Post by automated11 »

Not sure about it but I heard that there might be issues with limb longevity by using the 380 without the redds.
Buggy Bumpers
Miller Quiver Mount
Flemish String

Calcobrena

Post by Calcobrena »

well i personally didn't plan to take mine off, but that's an interesting problem... thank goodness for excal's kickass warranty :D
--Ami

Matrix 380 Xtra ; )
DSD Upright Hen
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

automated11 wrote:Raymond,

There is a couple things to think about. One is the redds system. The bumpers are the same one on the S5 and they seem to wear out quickly, if you have them try to keep a string width space between the string and the bumpers for longer life. I shot both the redds / S5 and the thetinker style with the 3/8 bow stoppers, I prefer thetinker style. I have over 200 shots on thetinker style and no noticeable wear. So if you would change there is money down the tube right there. If you know someone who machines you could easily have them made up. Mine were free :mrgreen: So all I had to buy was the rubber bumper and a 2 stainless set screws. A total of $12. I didn't care for the cheek piece either but you may. What I did find as a good cheekpiece was the better 1/2" black pipe insulation. If you put a piece of double sided tape on top of your stock the insulation holds fine. So that's another savings. From what I understand the serving wear is better on the 355 than the 380 but I do not have personal experience with that. Then onto the anti-dryfire scope mount. I feel its just another piece on the bow that can fail, my way of thinking. I have a shot sequence I follow all the time to make sure I don't have a dry fire but even if you would Im sure excal would take care of you.
automated11 wrote:Not sure about it but I heard that there might be issues with limb longevity by using the 380 without the redds.
I am happy with my Equinox for now, but I must say I have been thinking about a Matrix 380 Xtra. Now you made some very strong points for me.

I may want the Matrix 355 instead, since I don't want the The Guardian Anti-Dry Fire Scope Mount, Tact-Zone Scope, or the R.E.D.S. (Recoil Energy Dissipation System). My thought is if Excalibur didn't put these items on the Matrix 355 then its not needed. I also agree if someone takes these items off a Matrix 380 then they may be voiding Excalibur's warranty.

I would need a new camo dipped Deluxe Munch mount, cheek piece, because it is night and day for me for proper eye to scope alignment. I would also keep the 1 inch stock X-Tender since I defiantly need it for proper L.O.P. I would sell my Equinox with the Lite Munch mount, new Tact-Zone Scope and transfer my Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm scope to the Matrix 335.

Are 18 inch Diablo arrows the same shafts used for 20 inch Firebolts, if so I would just cut mine down and add the weighted inserts?

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
automated11

Post by automated11 »

They are not the same arrows. The diablo's weigh more. But that is not saying that the firebolts will not work. I have never tested them but I have shot the black eagle exocutioners and they are about the same weight as firebolts and they shoot great out of it.
Buggy Bumpers
Miller Quiver Mount
Flemish String