turkey setup

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbhntr

turkey setup

Post by xbhntr »

I have a choice to setup over a plowed field or a wheat field . Both fields are bordered by a hardwood forest , which would turkeys prefer ? Ray
rayman

Re: turkey setup

Post by rayman »

If you have a chance to check it out, it would be good to ease around and try to figure out where the turkeys are spending a lot of time, without running them off. It might also be good to slip out with a pair of binoculars the evening before your hunt. Stay out of sight and see what you can see and listen for what you can here. :)
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Oh man you folks are so lucky, it is coming closing, good luck to you all. I am just as excited for you as if I were going to be hunting. Take lots of pictures and tell lots of stories. It would be great if someone could video a hunt with the sound and all of those Thunder Chickens doing their thing.
Thanks,
Raymond
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

I just patterned my Pheonix :D Monday is my opener!
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Ray only a turkey would know!! :wink:
I would think whichever is the easiest route for them to go from roost to feed.

If you can find a spot where you can set up on a travel route either where they go to feed or find the community dust bowls thats where I will be opening day.
The best things in life are not things!!
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Think I would take the wheat field but the roosting area would also would play a roll as to where along the field I would set. Make sure you back off 5-8 yards from the edge of the field with your setup. Any decoy place right on the edge with in 3 feet....
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
wabi

Post by wabi »

Can't really help you decide, but here in southern Ohio they were in a wheat field along the route I drive taking my son to school.
wabi