New ibex owner here!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

iBexSlayer

New ibex owner here!

Post by iBexSlayer »

[*]Takes a bow[*] Thank you kind folks of the Excalibur Forum.

Just bought it last week, and shot it for the first time yesterday. I have to say, I am very impressed with the ibex. My buddy brought over his Barnet Jackal Compound Cross bow, and we shot together at a Hurricane Bag.

So far, I just added the S5 System ( Don't ask me if I noticed the difference as I installed them before I even starting shooting the bow )

Firebolts with 150 grain heads I believe came with the SMF set up.

Now, on for some questions...

1. What is an ideal bolt / broad bolt setup for deer? I am new to all of this, and I don't know the technical terms for everything. I pretty much want a ready to fire setup.

2. The scope that comes with the ibex is ok, but I was wondering, are there scopes out there with built - in range finders? I am horrible at judging distance, I mean really bad. Or do I have to have a range finder mounted off to the side to judge the distance of the deer?

3. Are there any digital books out there I can purchase for my iPad that gives detailed instructions on how to field dress / gut various game?

I have never hunted in my life. I will be practicing with my friend until deer season starts with targets / 3D targets. All in all, I am trying to avoid a bad experience taking down my first kill. I am softie, meaning I don't have it in me to see animals being killed. However, I am 40 years old now, and honestly believe I can take a life of an animal in which I intend to eat. I won't kill for sport or fur, I just won't.

Thank you in advance for helpful insights and criticism :mrgreen:
kd8jgu

Re: New ibex owner here!

Post by kd8jgu »

Welcome and congrads
I had a Ibex used Firebolts with Boltcutters
Killed a lot of deer and hogs with that setup.
As far as scope with range finder
The price is why I have not considered one.
I carry a range finder if I am hunting a certain area I will mark out distance.
I also will go out to an area carry range finder.
First I will pick something in view try and figure distance then check my distance with range finder
With practice I am getting better
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Welcome to the Forum & congrats on a fine Excal you bought. S5 i believe it will help dampen the string vibes & its really ok as an add on. Dbars on the other hand now are obsolete because the S5 is much better product. To each his/her own on arrow weight n BH's. I preferr 100-125 gr BH's, i use alum. 2114 & 2216 arrows. Plus i do use carbons & hope to have Blk.Eagle Executioners .001 by this summer. Someone else chime in on range finders as i am great wid that in my head, plus i seldom ever shoot deer or hogs past 35 yds. Lots of practice is very good!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Hoagy

Post by Hoagy »

Welcome to the forum & congrats on the Excal choice. Glad to have you ibexslayer.
You can search the forum knowledge base for answers to a lot of things & theres always a great group of people here glad to help you.
Hoagy

double post please delete

Post by Hoagy »

delete
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Welcome and congrats on the Ibex.

I shoot the Equinox and use fixed bladed broad heads and had great luck with Excalibur's 150 grain 3 blade boltcutters, but now I switched to 150 grain 4 blade Slick Tricks Xbow broad heads. I feel the added 150 grain weight is important when using firebolts.

Optics with built in range finders are very expensive and heavy. I recommend a handheld range finder. Also practice at judging ranges around your home then pace it off. If you hunt out of a stationary stand, put out markers of known ranges too help when a deer walks in. Making an educated guess out to 30 yards isn't too hard, plus a few inches high or low on a broadside shot is usually lethal.

I used Google.com and found https://www.deerdummy.com/mobile_app

I am not sure if its good, but I bet its better than nothing, but I strongly recommend watching a veteran hunter on how to field dress properly.

Enjoy,
Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
iBexSlayer

Post by iBexSlayer »

Thank you all for the inputs so far! So, built in range finder scopes are out. I haven't got that kind of money :lol:

The D-Bars were never really an option for me to consider. Before making my choice on Excalibur, I lurked the forums for lots of information. Money was a factor in which model to get. The Ibex was 550.00 new, and the Matrix 380 was 1099. They had several Matrix 380's and a few 355's

I will certainly attempt to learn to judge distance, I like the ideas given so far. Portable range finder is something I can put into my budget. I will be in a tree stand, so when I go to scout ahead of time, I guess I can place visible color markers on nearby trees. Different colors for different yardage for fast target placement.

I knew I made the right choice, and came to the right place ;-)
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Check out the Excalibur range finder mount. Put's it on top of your scope. Welcome to the forum!
"Eze 18:21"
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

welcome to the forum!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

A few more ideas
Where I have been hog hunting I have a haybale bling and 3 tree stands.
For distance marks I have used things that are around the area.
Things the animals are used too.
There are a lot of old fence post that I have moved to 20, 30, 40, and 50yrds
I do my measurements from base of tree.
For the blind it is 20yrds off a brush pile I can pack with bait.
There is a corrall that is 35yrds out.
These are all things that the yotes, hogs, and deer are used too.
So good luck
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D welcome, nice bow you got. my first bow was the smf axiom. shoots great. and now i have an vortex also. i use firebolts,150 fp's,and 125 rages,125 g5 montecs. fly great for me. i bought a range finder on ebay for 90.00. comes in handy. good luck.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.