TriggerTech Target Trigger Review

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ELLIS

TriggerTech Target Trigger Review

Post by ELLIS »

I received the TriggerTech target trigger (1.5 pound pull) a week and a half ago. In the small white box was the trigger, detailed instructions and new screws pretreated with loctite (any screws that fit into the trigger unit are included) and an allen key.

I put the new trigger into the bow easily, without incident. The next day I went off to the range to sight in the scope. The first shot was totally unexpected as I pulled/squeezed the trigger as I always had. I forgot the trigger was no longer the 3.3 pound factory one. After that I took up the pressure slowly and quickly learned the feel of the 1.5 pound trigger with the new design. The take up was only a very very short distance (feels like a mm or so) then the solid wall was hit. Slightly more pressure and the shot broke and the arrow was off. The "glass rod breaking feel" described in other threads concerning this new trigger design was truly correct.

I shot from 10 to 50 yards free holding. The scopes left-right was perfect, the only adjustment was the bow shot a little high. Once that adjustment was made the bow was dead on. The arrows grouped tighter than they ever have before. The target face of my target is covered in small dots. After slapping a few arrows and robin hooding one I thought it a good idea to put one or two arrows per dot though the friend I was shooting with thought I should continue using the same dot. He really enjoyed the robin hood and wanted to see more. My improved accuracy due to the trigger was remarkable in his eyes and mine. The proof in the pudding was the 3D shoot I went to this weekend past.

Last Sunday was the first outdoor 3D tournament of the year in my area. The course was super wet and muddy. The temperature was 3C with a slight wind making it feel colder. The bow performed as it did in practice the week before. Unfortunately I was having too much fun and made a couple of scope errors, used the wrong chevron. Even with those mistakes and distractions, I still shot a high score.

The trigger reminds me of the feel of a two stage match trigger. The crispness of the shot break is startling.

The improvement in my accuracy and enjoyment of using the bow is worth the cost. Compared to the Excalibur factory with its long distance from take up to the final shot break, the TriggerTech trigger completes this in a fraction of the distance. The shot's feel is like comparing apples to oranges between the two triggers. This short, sharp, firm wall breaking, described as breaking a glass rod in forum threads makes the factory trigger seem like pulling a popsicle stick.

I lost the ability to shoot compound due to a bad shoulder. When I was shooting compound there were endless toys one could buy to help or claim to help with accuracy. Each year new and improved releases, stabilizers, dampers, rests, scopes, peeps, etc were on offer. Not so for the crossbow, until now. If any of you get the chance to try this new trigger, TAKE IT! If any of you that can afford the trigger without the chance of trying it, make the purchase. You won't be sorry. I am certainly glad I did.
Equinox (2011)
Leupold VX-2 3-9x33mm Ultralight EFR Scope
HHA Optimizer
TriggerTech Target Trigger
OFAH Member
automated11

Re: TriggerTech Target Trigger Review

Post by automated11 »

Thanks for the review, I am going to get one this summer!
Super Vixen - AKA Matrix 355 with Vixen II Stock
Buggy Bumpers
Gold Tip Laser 4 Arrows with Swhacker 125 Heads
Miller Quiver Mount
Leupold Shotgun Scope (Miller)
Flemish String

Micro 355 Tact-zone Package, soon to be modded.
Hoagy

Post by Hoagy »

Great review Ellis, thank you for taking the time. Sounds like a winner! Your reference to tighter groups & improved accuracy tells the story. Enjoy that new trigger. :D
Hoagy
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Great Review ... thank you for sharing.
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

Great review and you've put my mind at rest.
I bought the target trigger to go in the bow I've just built and I was thinking did I choose the wrong one.
Any way it's all in now a dim looking forward to tomorrow evening to sight it in.
rej

Post by rej »

Anyone know what their web address is? I tried one posted on here and it does not link.
ELLIS

Post by ELLIS »

Equinox (2011)
HHA Optimizer
OFAH Member
rej

Post by rej »

Thanks for the quick reply. Shopping we go.
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

would you hunt with the 1.5 or not? would it be to touchy for hunting ?
or would you go with the 2.5lb trigger for hunting only as the company describes it for?
I mean there will be some people im sure that will try it...just want your thoughts since you have the 1.5
ELLIS

Post by ELLIS »

I am not a hunter so I can't tell you. I have not shot the bow with this trigger in the rain nor with gloves on.

Question, how many pounds pull is your rifle? Would the answer to that question work for a crossbow?
Equinox (2011)
HHA Optimizer
OFAH Member
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great review. Good to hear you are happy with the new trigger. I hope to put one in my bow later this summer. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Excellent review!

I had the privilege of shooting one several times last summer - the crisp, light, and positive break is difficult to describe adequately. It's a beautiful feeling. It makes shooting a xbow even MORE fun! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

Thanks for the great review. I hope you have continued enjoyment.
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
ELLIS

Post by ELLIS »

Thanks for the compliments for the review. I wish you folks were close by Ottawa so you could give the trigger a try.

With the new trigger and the recent removal of the dissipator bars the bow feels pleasingly different. I never thought my bow could be any better than it was after the day I bought it. It was fun to shoot and accurate then, now it is much, much better.
Equinox (2011)
HHA Optimizer
OFAH Member