Tagged out early with Doemaster

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Old Buck

Tagged out early with Doemaster

Post by Old Buck »

Well it has been one of our most productive first weeks of a turkey season . I may be wrong but I don`t think there was not a day that one of us did not see a bird or hear gobbles . :)
Yesterday started the same way it has since the beginning of the season . The Doemaster/torture master :lol: prodding me all the way back in the bush . Walking an hour plus in the dark :shock: to get to a spot he thinks will be productive for that morning .
We got to the spot picked out about 30 minutes before legal . This gave my back and hip time to rest against a uncomfortable tree .
Well daybreak comes and goes . NOT A SOUND !!!!!!
We waited for about a half hour and Kevin decides we need to move . Further away from the truck . :?
We set up in a nice spot that looked like a possible strutting area . We spent another half hour there . STILL NOT A SOUND !!! :?
But dragging my butt we move once again . Further from the truck . :lol:
We set up close enough to a field that maybe something might hear us . So we sat and waited doing the odd call here and there .
About 8:00 we stand up to stretch . Kevin breaks out another call once again . He said it was a call he had won last year for the Turkey contest on the forum . ( Cane Creek custom glass call) . Well he proceeds to stroke out some ear piercing kee`s kee`s :shock: and yelps a series of times . I`m starting to think that this spot didn`t produce either . Time to put a fork in it . :? Then all of a sudden we notice this black spot in the field about 300 yards or more away . Then that spot turned into a volkswagon with the doors open strutting . :shock: :)
The hunt is on !!!
We sat down and started to call . Let me tell you they don`t move very fast when they are strutting . He comes down the side of the field then all of a sudden turns left into another block of woods off of the property . :o But after walking 20-30 yards in there he came back out to our field . He gets down to about 40 yards from me on the side of the field . BEHIND BRUSH !!!! He strutted and strutted and gobbled and gobbled . Back and forth . We could see him by filling in the blanks through the brush . But he stayed put teasing us the whole time . Then Kevin started to direct his call back and to the left with his hand . Those soft inviting clucks and purrs must of sounded pretty good to him . :lol: He broke from his little area and walked to my left . The whole time kevin keeps asking have you got a shot yet . When I replied yes finally . He let out a sharp cluck . Up went his red,white and blue periscope . BOOOOOOM !!!!!!
This whole scenario took 15 minutes of adrenaline pumping excitement . My heart was pounding like I was running a marathon . :shock: :lol:
Here is the shooting lanes .
Here I am finally posing with this great game bird .
Here is a picture of my guide with the bird . He is even kind of smiling . :lol:
While walking out we decided it was a good idea to also take a picture with the game changing call . :)
It has been a good season that I got to spend with my two sons doing what I instilled into them from an early age . A deep respect for the Great Outdoors and her bounty .
Here is a video of some of my excitement . :D
http://s119.photobucket.com/user/Doemas ... 8.mp4.html
Last edited by Old Buck on Sat May 04, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
VixChix

Re: Tagged out early

Post by VixChix »

GREAT JOB! Congrats on getting it done!!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: Tagged out early

Post by Doe Master »

It has always been a pleasure to hunt with you and Scott . :D
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Raymond

Re: Tagged out early with Doemaster

Post by Raymond »

Way to go, I loved it. Man it even got me excited, man was I waiting to take the shot, LOL. Thanks. I enjoyed the video also, it got me excited.
Raymond
Lady Di

Post by Lady Di »

:D Congratulations to all my turkey hunters!!! Finally I will be able to sleep past 6:30 am without the phone ringing. :shock: :shock:
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Look at this way . You didn`t need an alarm clock the last week . :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
TPM

Post by TPM »

Good going Lorne! I know what you mean about getting dragged to the back of that bush. Every time Kevin drags me back there we end up having to drag a deer back out with us. :D
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Congrats on a fine bird and a great adventure
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads