All over at 30 yards!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

massbow

All over at 30 yards!

Post by massbow »

Hey all new to this forum. Just bought my Matrix 355 and love it. Still shootin all the stock equipment and im spot on at 20 yards. The problem starts when I move back to 30 yards. Im shooting off a bench that's very steady and im all over the place. Im high low left and right by as much as 4 inches im kinda confused any suggestion? Thanks John
Team 355
vixenmaster

Re: All over at 30 yards!

Post by vixenmaster »

Dead on at 20 but all over at 30, sounds like either scope or its mount/ screws rings. Or the arrows & vanes, cause yer usin a solid rest unless you flinch!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
massbow

Post by massbow »

Not sure this whole shootin thing isn't new to me. Ill get two three high and center then ill be low and to the right. Might be me but I want to blame the scope. looked at all the mounting screws they all seem tight.
Team 355
Boo

Post by Boo »

How did you set up your scope for 30/40 and 50 yards? How sure are you that your bow is level when you are shooting?
Are you using a level on the bow?
Are you shooting field points or broadheads?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
massbow

Post by massbow »

Set the bow up for the longer yards with the speed ring presently set at 325. Using the diablo arrows with 125 gr field points. Don't have a level on my bow but that woudnt answer the up and down im getting. thanks for the repleys
Team 355
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You must sight yer scope in wid xhair at 20 yds. The speed ring is fer 30-40-50 yds.
Half Bubble Off BD360

Post by newbie »

That was exactly my issue yesterday. It was the scope base loose my fault I had it off and didn't tighten enough.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
massbow

Post by massbow »

Did sight in crosshairs at 20 yards first. Then used speed ring for the rest. Where would a level be mounted on my bow? Its very accurate at 20 yard leading me to belive its not any thing loose.
Team 355
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Some ppl. put a small one up on their Riser to ck as they shoot. If'en everything is tight & its shootin all over then my guess the arrows would be the suspects
Half Bubble Off BD360

massbow

Post by massbow »

Iv'e been shootin the same bolt the whole time. maybe its time to change that bolt! Has anyone used the Nikon bolt scope and if so do you like it?
Team 355
Boo

Post by Boo »

Shooting while the bow can account for some up and down.
Setting up not level or shooting not level has little effect with your center crosshairs and as you extend your shooting the angle of error is magnified greatly kinda like parallax.
If you haven't done a nut and bolt check I would unstring the bow and do one.
The question of broadheads or not is an important one because moderate tiller issues will not effect field points but will drive fixed broadheads nuts.
Shoot one arrow several times using the same vane down consistently to eliminate arrows.
If all else fails let someone else shoot and if that other person experiences exactly the same issue look at it as a possible scope problem.
massbow

Post by massbow »

Ive got this thing in a rifle shooting rest like a lead sled. Maybe more than 5inch groups at 30 yards is asking too much?
Team 355
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

If everything noted above checks out OK, the next thing to mull over is possible operator error. Errors multiply with distance. With a 355 you will have about a 4" drop with a stock Diablo arrow from a 20 yard zero.
Checking the mirror is a 'hard seed to swallow' but it does, unfortunately, exist :mrgreen:
Boo

Post by Boo »

TheTinker wrote:Checking the mirror is a 'hard seed to swallow' but it does, unfortunately, exist :mrgreen:
That's usually after my wife and I have a heart to heart. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post by newbie »

massbow wrote:Ive got this thing in a rifle shooting rest like a lead sled. Maybe more than 5inch groups at 30 yards is asking too much?
Dont get frustrated. Come back to it another time start fresh. Set your 20 then go from there. Do as Don suggested unsptring the bow do a bolt check. I was so frustrated yesterday after 20 yard sight in cause I knew it couldn't be the scope base cause I just tightened it. 2sexonds it's all it would have taken me to grab it and find out but being a man I just knew it wasn't it. Spent 45 minutes all over the target at 40 yards. Well guess what it was.
Boo wrote:
TheTinker wrote:Checking the mirror is a 'hard seed to swallow' but it does, unfortunately, exist :mrgreen:
That's usually after my wife and I have a heart to heart. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Come on Don it's never the man haven't you learned that yet? Lol
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!