Any feedback from Matrix 380 owners?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Oelof

Any feedback from Matrix 380 owners?

Post by Oelof »

Hi Everyone,

I would just like some info/feedback from Matrix 380 owners, what they have experienced with the 380 thus far.. All the Good things, bad things, any problems etc...

Also, how do they compare to the older models?

Regards,

Oelof
When I go to sleep, I dream about hunting..

Matrix 380
PSE Diablo
7x75 BRNO, Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50, Harris Bipod.
.223 BRNO, Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50.
.22 LR CZ, Nikon Rimfire BDC
.357 Magnum, Rossi.
vixenmaster

Re: Any feedback from Matrix 380 owners?

Post by vixenmaster »

I don't own one but have shot a few shots wid a 380. It feels more like a Phoenix/E'cet to cock because of the short stroke. Its lighter shorter & abit more narrow. Personally i think they are very good Models. I like them more than the long stroke models other than the older Vixens n E'cets they the best Excal has goin
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Had a chance to shoot one on the weekend at the Michigan Crossbow Federation 3D shoot and fundraiser. (Thanks, See4Miles!)

I could cock it - even with a recent shoulder injury. Mike is right about the shorter rail making it easier to draw for it's draw weight.

Loved the balance. It feels really natural to hold, and easy to hold steady. The shorter limbs make it narrower and sleeker.

The bow I shot also had the TriggerTech hunting weight trigger in it - which made it super-sweet to shoot!

The bow has that recurve xbow "smack" when shot which doesn't bother me in the least. I'd rather have the noise of the recurve than the upfront weight of a compound xbow.

I've never come across a bow that would make me want to trade "up" from my Vixen. My old Vixen does everything I need it to do and it fits me well... BUT I sure wouldn't turn my nose up at a Matrix! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Oelof

Post by Oelof »

Great info thus far guys, thanks a bunch!

I actually bought a Matrix 380 last week already, for my wife's birthday next week. So I have not even assembled it yet, bummer! I was a bit worried that she would not be able to cock it, but its not a major concern because I'm always with her when she hunts.

Its really seems that the 380 cant be faulted. Please keep the info coming!

Matrix 380
PSE Diablo
.357 Magnum, Rossi.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Got mine last week, I have had Exomag, Exocet and Wolverines in past. This thing is amazing! I had no problem getting two inch groups off the bench at 70yrds! Few upgrades such as Boo string and trigger job, munch mount and a Leupold cross bones scope.

The cocking is no problem and the accuracy the best I've seen from Excalibur so far. I'm using GT Laser 3's with 100gr tips for 410grns at 350fps.
Bronzeback

Post by Bronzeback »

I've had mine a couple months now and have shot it quite a bit with the stock package...except for the arrows. It is an absolute pleasure to shoot and extremely accurate. There is nothing wrong with the stock package. The trigger is pretty good to me. I'm sure the after market triggers are better but probably not worth the upgrade for me. The scope is also pretty good if you don't mind a little "fish eye" effect and the chevrons. I will likely keep it and try it through the first hunting season but I might change my mind when the new Hawke Scope is released...Jury is still out on that one. I have strings with the cat whiskers ordered from Boo and can't wait for them to arrive....Will likely slow it down a little but more quiet. I'm shooting BEA Arrows and they work just fine. I have shot a couple NAP Spitfire Maxx and experience the same POI as my field points...I bought a bunch off of Amazon for $ 28.00/pack. I thought that was a pretty good deal...See link below.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Archery-Produ ... tfire+maxx
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

750 plus shots out my Matrix 380 and counting! :D

Had a Custom Boo String with Whiskers on it before it's very first shot, and I am still on the same string (still not showing much signs of wear!)
Don't own a chronograph, but can pass along it is Damn FAST!!

Stock arrows to this point (but The Best a Man Can Get just ordered :wink: ) and they have provided Amazing Accuracy out to 70+ yards.

Trigger was fine, but being used to Competition Rifle Triggers I wanted something just a hint better. Installed the new Custom Trigger yesterday with no grief, doing the same for the Exomax tonight, then shooting tomorrow. Will post my thoughts shortly after doing so.

Cocking has been No Issue with up to 50 - 75 shots per session - found that a pleasant surprise.

Scope is OK, but I'll be tagging one of the new Hawke 30mm Scopes soon (Rep informed me yesterday that wait will finally be over in the first week of July!).

I can Honestly say I do believe I've found my Forever Hunting Bow! Damn Impressed All Round, and just LOVE shooting her!

Here's a link to my first impressions and a comparison between the Matrix 380 and the Exomax, pictures and a few videos included:
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=47065

In short, methinks you are going to Love It!! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

VixChix wrote: I could cock it - even with a recent shoulder injury. :D
Yup, I had lot of folks cock the 380 over the weekend, including a couple gents well into their 70s, a couple gents with serious back problems, and one with a bad shoulder. Monica made it look easy by the way.

With a 13.5" power stroke, this crossbow is much easier than the Exomax or Equinox.

it is loud however. What was your comment Monica? "sounds like someone smacking a lightpole with a 2x4" Now that's just plain funny! (and true :()
In the Wind.......
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

See4miles wrote:...it is loud however. What was your comment Monica? "sounds like someone smacking a lightpole with a 2x4" Now that's just plain funny! (and true :()
It wasn't as tough to cock as I'd expected - after I figured out that I'd first hung it up on the ADF. :oops:

I think perhaps Spike Country a.k.a "Our Bob" maybe said that about the sound of the bow? Was funny for sure!

Sure appreciated the chance to try it out! Didn't mean to be pushy, but sure wanted to shoot that bow. :) Thanks!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Only had mine a couple of weeks it shot pretty good with my BEA I sold the stock arrows to one of friends that bought one also. The trigger has been sent to BOO for a great trigger since the stock one wasn't that great, it had a lot of creep compared to my Vortex.

My Matrix 380 chronoed at 369 fps with a 361 gr. arrow with stock string. It is definitely louder than my Vortex also. I have quietened it down a bit and shooting the BEA at 430 grs helps some also.

I've only shot out to 40 yards and it stacked the arrows right there. I will probably change out the scope before hunting season just haven't made my mind up yet what to buy.

Overall another great shooting Excal.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Oelof

Post by Oelof »

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I will post my review of the 380 very soon. :mrgreen:

Matrix 380
PSE Diablo
.357 Magnum, Rossi.
kevinr

Post by kevinr »

Have shot over 600 times. I like the scope but it can be hard to adjust, 1 click on my scope = about 1/8 inch not 1/2 inch. I shoot stock arrows and stock field points and only get 340fps with stock string or vixen string. Not happy about that. Other than that I love the bow.
Oelof

Post by Oelof »

Hi Kevin,

The matrix should shoot about 380 fps with a 350 gain bolt, but It seems the 18" Diablo bolts are 250 grain and field points 150 grains, totaling 400 grains. That might explain why your only getting 340 fps.

I dont know why Excalibur would do that because the arrow used to achieve 380 fps was 350 grains, its a bit confusing!?

Matrix 380
PSE Diablo
.357 Magnum, Rossi.
kevinr

Post by kevinr »

Oelof,

THANK YOU!! For explaining that to me I have been thinking something was wrong with my bow.
Bronzeback

Post by Bronzeback »

Oelof wrote:Hi Kevin,

The matrix should shoot about 380 fps with a 350 gain bolt, but It seems the 18" Diablo bolts are 250 grain and field points 150 grains, totaling 400 grains. That might explain why your only getting 340 fps.

I dont know why Excalibur would do that because the arrow used to achieve 380 fps was 350 grains, its a bit confusing!?
Ahhhh Yessss......The wonderful world of marketing!!!