Florida Gator Hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NovaBoy

Florida Gator Hunting

Post by NovaBoy »

I got 2 permits for gators this year. Well in the rules it says you cant use a firearm. But you can use a Bangstick, bow, or crossbow. My wife agrees I should use my excalibur ibex for the hunting as she doesnt want me to spend more money on a bang stick. I also plan to have the gators mounted so I dont want to destroy the skull/head when killing this animal. Any ideas or any tips would be awesome. My plan so far is to use a rod/reel with 80 lb braided line and a snatch hook to get it close to the boat then the excalibur finish it off. I do have a scope, but I think Ill need to remove it for a close shot.
rayman

Re: Florida Gator Hunting

Post by rayman »

A heavy rod & reel with 80 lb braid and snatch hook is a good idea for open water. Folks normally use harpoons, or bows with a harpoon type arrow rig, with a heavy line and a float at the end. You harpoon the gator, let it free swim with the float rig a little while, then grab the line and pull it close to the boat so you can bang stick it in the head. You could use a small caliber head like a 22 mag or .223 if you are concerned about blasting a big hole. Small ones are easy to kill with a steel pipe on top of the head, but I would want a bang stick for one bigger than about 7 feet I think. I wish they would let you take a rifle or pistol, but they are concerned about people shooting gators and not recovering them. Happy huntin!! :)
Joystyx

Post by Joystyx »

I wish we had gators in Canada... Would spend my days crafting me new boots and belts :D
Unfortunately, all we have are mooses and bears... oh wait?!
2010 Exomax - Leupold VX-I - HHA Speed Dial
2008 Relayer Y25 #954 -VariZone - S5
A bunch of Firebolts
Shockwaves & Crimson Talons
Inter arma silent leges
Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

My nephew has gator hunted for about 10 years. He suggests that you use 2 rods if possible. He says that if you hit a big 12 footer that you really need to get 2 hooks in him.If you have never hunted gators and want a few pointers from someone who is very good at it, I can give you my nephew's number and he would be glad to help you with any advise that you might need.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
NovaBoy

Post by NovaBoy »

I would love to do a bear hunt its my dream hunt. This will be my first gator hunt. But I live on a lake full of 10-14 foot gators. Ive caught them when fishing and got them all the way up next to my 16.5' boat and they would just sit there on the surface until they know whats going on. But I will have a spare rod and reel with a buddy helping me. I was just wondering If you guy would think the excalibur would kill this animal quick if shot in the brain/kill spot from a few feet away.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

If the shot is on it,s mark yes it would take it down
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Bobby B

Post by Bobby B »

I was unaware you could use bow or crossbow. I got invited to go first week of October, friend has 4 permits, and can't make my mind up if I'm going yet. My brother from NJ and his friend are going down, and I would feel kind of bad if I took one of the permits :)
Mathews z7eXtreme Tactical
Matrix 380 (New to This)
Sako A-7 308

Sling Shot if I have to do it....
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Bobby B wrote:I was unaware you could use bow or crossbow. I got invited to go first week of October, friend has 4 permits, and can't make my mind up if I'm going yet. My brother from NJ and his friend are going down, and I would feel kind of bad if I took one of the permits :)
Bobby B,
Be sure to let your brother and his friends know that they will need to buy an "agent license" if they are going to help the permit holder in any way. They can go and watch at no cost, but they best not get caught assisting the permit holder in any fashion. My nephew learned this the hard way, when he first started gator hunting. "THE MAN" will be watching.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
rayman

Post by rayman »

UPSMAN wrote:they will need to buy an "agent license" if they are going to help the permit holder in any way
This is true. I think they used to cost $50 for in-state. Probably more for out-of-state. The "men" really watch the popular gator hunting spots too. Also, don't wait to tag the gator. I know a guy that got a ticket because the FWC guy saw him pull an alligator into his airboat without a tag on it. Still got a ticket even though he started to put the tag on it immediately after pulling it in the boat. :shock:
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

what is a bang stick?...post pics of your gators too... good luck
Bobby B

Post by Bobby B »

UPSMAN wrote:
Bobby B wrote:I was unaware you could use bow or crossbow. I got invited to go first week of October, friend has 4 permits, and can't make my mind up if I'm going yet. My brother from NJ and his friend are going down, and I would feel kind of bad if I took one of the permits :)
Bobby B,
Be sure to let your brother and his friends know that they will need to buy an "agent license" if they are going to help the permit holder in any way. They can go and watch at no cost, but they best not get caught assisting the permit holder in any fashion. My nephew learned this the hard way, when he first started gator hunting. "THE MAN" will be watching.
Yes, brother has been once already, 2 years ago, and he got the agent license. I believe his gator was 11.5 feet long.
Mathews z7eXtreme Tactical
Matrix 380 (New to This)
Sako A-7 308

Sling Shot if I have to do it....
NovaBoy

Post by NovaBoy »

Its getting closer and Im going to be fishing/hunting for gators in a huge lake I know very well. I know this lake is full of big gators Ive pulled a few up next to the boat while bass fishing. For the next 2 months im going to be scouting alot to find the 2 that I want to take. I plan to have the biggest mounted I would trade a gator hunt out any day for a bear hunt. If anyone had a small cal bang stick they would be interested in loaning for the hunt I would feel safer then using the bow. Im sure the ibex bow could do the job but how strong is it at point blank rank?