Who needs snakes?!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rayman

Who needs snakes?!

Post by rayman »

With insects like these, who needs snakes?!

Mowing on the tractor yesterday morning I found this hornets nest. They found me too and lit me up pretty good. Been in lots of wasps and yellow jackets over the years, and would say it was all a walk in the park compared to those SOB hornets. Sting-Eze works good on most insect bites, but didn't seem to help much here. Today it just feels like I had a bunch of tetanus shots. Wife took this picture from inside the truck cab.

Had a couple glasses of wine yesterday evening to ease the fire a bit and went to start up the grill and saw this spider on the little table by the grill. Crap!!

So, any ideas on how to get rid of a bad a-- hornets nest? :roll:
chopfather

Re: Who needs snakes?!

Post by chopfather »

Shoot a roman candle at the hornets nest until it catches fire. Just kidding but it might work. :lol:
Member of the P.A.D. Club
Excalibur Ibex
Hawke SR Scope
Wyvern quiver mount
S5's and Dis Bars
Custom Thumbhole Vixen
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

Check out this website
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/
Or you can give them a call
They have helped me out more then once
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
rayman

Post by rayman »

Was thinking about one of those old marine tanks with the flame throwers that shoot 200 yards, or maybe one of those drone air craft could drop some napalm on it. :)
Bugflipper

Post by Bugflipper »

Tobacco moistened and put on the stings will help. A few years back I had one just outside the front door in a crape myrtle. I was spraying weed killer and they got me in the nose and back. The one in the side of the nose felt like I got hit by a slingshot then when the one hit me in the back I figured out what it was because it stung.

My method of removal was to crack the door open, one step on the porch, a blast with a shotgun then retreate back into the house. After a few hours I hit it with another blast but there wasn't much left. I don't think there was any left on it.

When I was a kid my grandpa took care of one about the size of the one you have. He was going to wait until winter but they started attacking the mailman. We got in the car somewhere and he stuck out the shotgun and blew the bottom off. When we got back a few hours later there were dozens hitting stinging the car. He waited until dark and did it again. They were gone the next day.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Wait til its dark & use wasp spray up their entry hole at bottom of nest. Don't save on the spray once you start empty the whole can up inside. I done been down that Rodeo
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chopfather

Post by chopfather »

I like the shotgun idea. A few rounds of 12 gauge target load should do the job !
Member of the P.A.D. Club
Excalibur Ibex
Hawke SR Scope
Wyvern quiver mount
S5's and Dis Bars
Custom Thumbhole Vixen
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

You could always set a couple hundred of these baited for wasp
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
birddog10

Post by birddog10 »

Definitely take it out in the evening when they settle down. I've hit them with a 30 foot shot of wasp spray. Hit it, back away, hit it a few minutes later, repeat. In the morning you shouldn't have too much left. But if so, do it again that evening. The residual affects of the spray lasts a long time.
Bugflipper

Post by Bugflipper »

I had had some several years ago in a persimmon tree as well. They caught me weed eating. Dropped the weed eater and ran. They kept on bombing that thing. Both barrels of a 16 gauge coach gun wiped them out.

Had another on my eaves a few years back. They didn't get anybody. I used what they call an x jet for the pressure washer. It shoots a 3/8" stream about 100 foot or so. Just blew them off and swept the nest across the yard. Never did see any able to fly. Guessing they just crawled around until they dried off and went somewhere else.

They keep one guard out all the time. At night he's usually peaking out the hole so be careful. Would be enough in that nest to seriously hurt somebody.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Judging by the angle of the picture, and that it was taken from a vehicle..
Wait for a cool, dark (or rainy) night, walk up, slip an industrial garbage bag (or double up 2 regular ones), bag the nest, zip tie the branch and cut it off.
I do this several times a week, never been stung.

I tried the shotgun technique once, camera on a bi-pod to witness what turned out to be a very painful experience. It was funny the next day though.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
strum

Post by strum »

I had a friend who once found one in the winter time,.
it looked so good ..he cut the limb it was on and took it into his cabinet shop,
sprayed it with a coat of clear lacquer.. then he hung it up in his house..
it looked realy cool....untill he noticed that it wasnt emty :shock:
as it warmed the hornets started moving (slugishly) ..
he doubled up some garbage bags and got it out before they warmed up fully..
great decoration..bad decoration :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
timbikeride

Post by timbikeride »

Pydpiper wrote: Wait for a cool, dark (or rainy) night, walk up, slip an industrial garbage bag (or double up 2 regular ones), bag the nest, zip tie the branch and cut it off.
I do this several times a week, never been stung.
You're a braver man than me!
rayman

Post by rayman »

If I ever get a TV sized box from Pydpiper I'm going to mark it "Return To Sender" and put it back in the mail!! :lol: