New Season Structure for Nova Scotia

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NSIan

New Season Structure for Nova Scotia

Post by NSIan »

After several years of pushing for expanded crossbow hunting opportunities in Nova Scotia, it finally happened!

There are now two separate deer hunting stamps,: (1) the general deer hunting stamp, under which all weapons approved for big game hunting may be used; and (2) the archery and muzzleloader deer hunting stamp, under which only bows, crossbows, and muzzleloaders may be used; each licence has a specific season during which it is valid, and a specific bag limit of 1 antlered deer (however, sex of the harvested deer will be subject to the specific regulations in place for the Deer Management Zone in which you are hunting).

The period for hunting deer under an Archery and Muzzleloader stamp is from the second Monday in September to the second Saturday in December, excluding Sundays; however, only bow hunting is permitted during the first two weeks, after which crossbows and muzzleloaders may also be used; the total time available under the Archery and Muzzleloader licence is 14 weeks for bow hunting, and 12 weeks for crossbow and muzzleloader hunting.

Bows and crossbows can now be used during the special 6 day October hunt in the Liscomb Game Sanctuary, in addition to muzzleloaders.

Bows and crossbows can now be used during the special 6 day October hunt in the Tobeatic Wildlife Management Area, in addition to muzzleloaders.
Nova Scotia Association of Crossbow Hunters.

www.nsach.ca
Boo

Re: New Season Structure for Nova Scotia

Post by Boo »

That's great news! Too bad the rest of Canada doesn't have full inclusion as well.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
pphoenix

Post by pphoenix »

Good to hear, When I moved to Nova Scotia a few years back I ended up having to go to Compound bow, after hunting with my Phoenix in Ontario. Since Crossbows weren't allowed.

Now in Saskatchewan I can use both. Last fall ended up missing a nice one in September (Bows only) and then got my buck in October (Muzzleloader and Crossbows) with the Phoenix.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Held onto mine because I knew it was only a matter of time.
There is still a two week gap between vertical bows and crossbows - early "bow" starts sept 9 and "bow, crossbow, and muzzleloader" starts sept 23.

I find it more strange that they have almost put crossbows and muzzleloaders on the same plate. Definitely not the same kill range. I'm sure full inclusion will occur in the next 5 years and I see them backing off on the duration for muzzleloaders. Not sure how popular muzzleloaders are here due to the liberal 5 week rifle season, but I'm keeping that as well. :D

Sept 9th may give me an opportunity at a velvet buck!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

It is good that we are combined under the new Archery and Muzzleloader Season. We are finally making headway, we need to make more progress and we will, we need the same rights as the vertical bow. The NSACH executive has been working hard on our behalf and is to be congratulated for the success, and the NSACH members and crossbow hunters alike are also to be congratulated.

I feel that we crossbow hunters were slapped in the face by this part of the new season. We shoot with a crossBOW, a string, and arrows, all the BS needs to stop.
Thanks,
Raymond