TenPoint Crossbow Technologies Purchases Horton Assets

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Mogadore, OH. Rick Bednar, Chairman, President, and CEO of Hunter’s Manufacturing Company , Inc., dba TenPoint Crossbow Technologies, manufacturer of premium level crossbows recognized for their precision performance, quality engineering, and dependability, has announced that his company purchased selected assets of former competitor, Horton Archery LLC, Kent, OH, effective July 1, 2013.

“Recently it appeared that Horton’s ability to operate deteriorated.” Bednar said. “The company released most of its employees in April, and its primary (secured) creditor finally took possession of all Horton’s assets, and closed its doors. We have purchased machinery, equipment, and other selected assets, including trademarks, licenses, and the rights to the Horton name from the secured creditor. It is important to understand that we did not purchase the Horton Archery LLC operation. That operation no longer exists, and TenPoint will not continue making or servicing any of Horton’s current or past bow models.”

“To put all of this in simple terms,” Bednar continued, “our research made it clear that it was neither functionally nor financially prudent to resume the Horton manufacturing and servicing operations. We intend to spend the months ahead creating a new company with a new lineup worthy of the storied Horton name. We expect to reintroduce the new company as soon as it is feasible. While that effort is underway, we will continue to remain focused on managing TenPoint and our subsidiary, Wicked Ridge Crossbows, as industry leaders in technology and customer service.”

Ironically, Bednar was one of the four investors who created the original Horton USA brand in 1985. He served as its Chief Operating Officer from its inception until 1991, when he sold his stock and left the organization. At the time, Horton was approaching the apex of its reputation. In 1994, Bednar formed Hunter’s Manufacturing Company, Inc. dba TenPoint Crossbow Technologies. Since Bednar left Horton, different entities have tried to reorganize the brand three times but have never succeeded.

Bednar believes the entities strayed from Horton’s original founding principles, and signed on to a plan that included imported engineering and offshore parts. The original Horton relied on quality customer service and manufacturing, exceptional value, and responsiveness to the marketplace - similar principles that have propelled TenPoint Crossbows to its current position as a market leader. He is firm in his belief that he can re-instill these principles in a new Horton brand.

Bednar is proud of his successful tenure at Horton and clearly relishes the opportunity to bring the brand back to its former position of prominence as a standard-bearer in the industry. “I wish my Dad were still here to witness this.” He said. “We used to talk about the possibility of someday getting the brand back. When you play a part in creating something of value, there is no pleasure in watching it lose its luster, even when it is a competitor. I want to make the brand better than ever.”
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
rej

Re: TenPoint Crossbow Technologies Purchases Horton Assets

Post by rej »

Agree with you about lost jobs in the home market, however, it is likely Horton was not really North American other than geographically any longer. Sale or succession can cause a large difference. Excalibur is navigating the same things but by wise order of succession and IMHO make the best xbow available, period. This can have a lot to do with the demise of competition. Brings to mind the X29 aircraft. It was technically interesting and had forward swept wings. In the end it couldn't cut muster. The public are entitled to best dollar value and committed, business specific enterprise. Get an Excalibur and enjoy it, it won't let you down.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

TP is trying to put a positive spin on this but all the customers and dealers are stuck with obsolete product with no market.

Nothing guaranteed with TP either as they move forward with this.
The first hiccup they have with the new Horton and they'll drop it like a hot brick.
The way they treat past customers will reflect on their future.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Boo

Post by Boo »

Apparently there are a whack of Horton bows that were sent in for repair. I wonder if Ten Point will offer those owners a Ten Point bow in lieu of their Horton bow value? It would be a wonderful way of increasing sales (read getting Horton people to experience Ten Point products) while at the same time creating some good will gestures?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D to bad to hear this, but tenpoint is a good company. it will take time, but as long as they stand by there name, they can pull it off.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Boo wrote:Apparently there are a whack of Horton bows that were sent in for repair. I wonder if Ten Point will offer those owners a Ten Point bow in lieu of their Horton bow value? It would be a wonderful way of increasing sales (read getting Horton people to experience Ten Point products) while at the same time creating some good will gestures?
I've heard that TeNPoint is addressing that. I don't know exactly what that means, but TenPoint doesnt want someone else's bows. I'd guess any future problems with existing bows it will be all on the owners.
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
tman74

Post by tman74 »

Maybe they'll finally do something about those ugly TenPoint stirrups. :mrgreen:
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

tman74 wrote:Maybe they'll finally do something about those ugly TenPoint stirrups. :mrgreen:
And perhaps the square scope mounts that are as high as the stars. :mrgreen:
ranger

Post by ranger »

It says they did NOT buy Horton archery llc that no longer exists now, so to me that means there are bows out there that no longer have service, I think Horton Archery LLC will file bankruptcy and well.....Just glad I do not own a Horton.
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Boo wrote:Apparently there are a whack of Horton bows that were sent in for repair. I wonder if Ten Point will offer those owners a Ten Point bow in lieu of their Horton bow value? It would be a wonderful way of increasing sales (read getting Horton people to experience Ten Point products) while at the same time creating some good will gestures?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Boo,you must be hitting the "FIRE WATER" really hard. Be about as much of a chance of that happening as there would be of you going on a bear hunt. :lol: :lol: :lol:
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Boo

Post by Boo »

UPSMAN wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Boo,you must be hitting the "FIRE WATER" really hard. Be about as much of a chance of that happening as there would be of you going on a bear hunt. :lol: :lol: :lol:
There's zero possibility that I'd be near a bear on purpose! :shock:
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

UPSMAN wrote:
Giving them TenPoint bows might be easier than fixing the problems with the Horton bows.

Not that long ago when a competitor of TenPoint was having all kinds of limb problems and was having an extremely difficult time fixing the problems. That left a bunch of crossbowers without a crossbow during deer season. TenPoint offered to loan TenPoint crossbows to these individuals so they could keep on hunting. Numerous crossbowers took them up on that offer.

TenPoint has been very active in giving the Wounded Warrior project crossbows so the Wounded Warriors can hunt.

So what Boo has suggested is not out if the realm of possibility..
Woody Williams

Boo

Post by Boo »

Ten Point is a busy place recently. I bet Rick's head is spinning! There isn't just this on his table there's much much more!!!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Boo wrote:Ten Point is a busy place recently. I bet Rick's head is spinning! There isn't just this on his table there's much much more!!!
Yep
Woody Williams

Boo

Post by Boo »

Woody Williams wrote:
Boo wrote:Ten Point is a busy place recently. I bet Rick's head is spinning! There isn't just this on his table there's much much more!!!
Yep
BTW, nice pic on the front cover of Crossbow Magazine. Too bad your bow has those wheeliethingm'bobs on the ends of the limbs. :mrgreen: