Arrow length question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Old Mountain Man

Arrow length question

Post by Old Mountain Man »

I have been researching crossbows and arrows. One article I read stated that the length of the arrow by the crossbow maker is the minimum length that should be used for the type of crossbow that one is using.
If that is true , what would the pros and cons of using a longer arrow.
Instead of say a 20 inch arrow use a 22 inch arrow instead
vixenmaster

Re: Arrow length question

Post by vixenmaster »

Thats not exactly true. You can good accuracy from 16" & on up arrows from crossbows. Jus have to see what yer Model happens to like!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
rej

Post by rej »

I shortened standard Firebolts from 20" to 18" and the accuracy from my Vortex got better. I think it is because arrow flexes less(more spine). If you go to a 22" arrow that does not have good spine and are using a high draw weight xbow it may flex a lot and accuracy might be poor. That longer arrow might stick down into the stirrup which could be a serious safety issue in a number of ways. The length and style of vanes on arrow and the way they are mounted(straight, angled, helical) affects arrow performance. The weight of nocks and front inserts with a broad head mounted affects FOC(front of center weight). Xbow's seem to like quite a bit of FOC and a number you will see on here a lot is 18%. Depending on your components that number may not work for you. I kept increasing it until I experienced archers paradox then backed off. There is a lot of good info on here to read and learn from. Search it out then make some arrows and do a lot of shooting to see what works for your set up. Good luck and have fun.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I,m now shooting an testing some 16 inch BEA arrows with 110 gr brass inserts ,blazers , 125 tips an weight of 423 gr an so far from my shooting out to 50yds they seem to be one of the most acurrate an consistent for poi as I ever shot. a bunch of my new shafts will be getting the saw!!!!!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

If spine isn't a factor - and that's a big IF - the longer arrow has a higher ballistic coefficient and will thus have a flatter trajectory, assuming the same speed at launch.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Cossack wrote:If spine isn't a factor - and that's a big IF - the longer arrow has a higher ballistic coefficient and will thus have a flatter trajectory, assuming the same speed at launch.
Not to mention it will be easier for the fletching to stabilize the longer arrow which should be more forgiving with a fixed blade head. And longer arrows (of the same kind) would be slightly heavier - if you are trying to make a heavy arrow. The Easton FMJ Bolt is pretty darn stiff if you want to try.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><