Factory fff string life

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Horizontal Hunter

Factory fff string life

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

What is the life expectancy of a factory fff string? I honestly never gave it any though until yesterday.

I had my fff string break in the middle under the serving on the first shot when shooting. The arrow was in the target,the xbow was undamaged, and the string ended up around my neck.

The string was about 6 or 7 years of and had been re-served 3 or 4 times.

I will be ordering a couple new strings this week. I will also keep better track of their age and re-servings.

I am glad that it happened at the range and not while taking a shot at a deer.

Thanks,

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
vixenmaster

Re: Factory fff string life

Post by vixenmaster »

I had one do the same about month & half ago. It were about 7 yrs old. It din't wrap up around me neck but were out to the sides of my shootin table. Hey pm me if'en you want custom strings reasonable prices. Can never have too many strings! :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Think about it. Compound verticals recommend new string and cables every year. Material goes bad with time. Like my arrows I have had since 2008. Busted five in a week from shooting 125lbs so I threw the other seven out and bought new ones. What's an eye or other body parts worth to you? :wink:
rej

Post by rej »

I use the FFF string. The oldest are around 2 yr. and have been served 3 or 4 times. I have noticed they keep stretching. When that stops I would think the string is end of life or near it. The exocet, vortex, equinox, exomax have long draw length giving a sharper string angle off the claws. That does not help the string or serving life. I am looking at it from the mechanical view. The choice of materials and making of string I leave to the experts. I can do a passable serving and that is good enough for me.
Boo

Post by Boo »

REJ, I think you are playing it safe. I think when Danny's string stops creeping its at its best. It should be stable for quite a bit of time but when it creeps again (a braceheight change) is the time to toss the string.
The initial creep is the wax being squeezed out and the stands settling into each other.
Your method is certainly the most prudent.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I ditch my string after three yrs or three reserves, whichever comes first. Just make another one
Last edited by Cossack on Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I quit usin mine when they have more than 2 strands broke or it breaks on the shot :shock: Jus the Scottish in me, need to get the last shot out of it :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:REJ, I think you are playing it safe. I think when Danny's string stops creeping its at its best. It should be stable for quite a bit of time but when it creeps again (a braceheight change) is the time to toss the string.
The initial creep is the wax being squeezed out and the stands settling into each other.
Your method is certainly the most prudent.
They quit??? I wouldnt swear to it. :lol: They are great strings for speed but do require a bit of upkeep.
cthunt

Post by cthunt »

Vertical bows they say toss it after a years use ...
Ten point TL-7
Excalibur Ibex .
GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazer
nap nightmares 100grn.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

A wide variety of responses for sure. Thanks for the comments guys. It is interesting to see what others think and do.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire