How to remove a glued nock from carbon bolt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chicotrout

How to remove a glued nock from carbon bolt

Post by chicotrout »

Today, I received my Matrix 380 Blackout with 10 Diablo carbon arrows already assembled :D and I removed 3 nocks in order to replace them with Lumenoks. I know a lot of you already know this but I just wanted to share a super simple way of removing a glued nock from a carbon bolt without ruining the bolt.

I took an 8-32 x 1" machine screw with a nut for a lock stop and threaded it 4 full turns into the nock then proceeded to lock it down with the nut. I then put the head of the screw into a vise and locked it down tight on the vise so that the bolt (arrow) was horizontal (3 or 9 o'clock position.) After that I began to heat the screw and simultaneously applied twisting pressure to the bolt and as soon as the glue reached its melting point, it slipped right off. The carbon bolt was warm to the touch but it never got hot.

So there you go...Nothing to it!
Happy Hunting!!!
Matrix 380 Blackout
hummer

Re: How to remove a glued nock from carbon bolt

Post by hummer »

There's an easier way. I just shot one of mine into a rhino Block. When I tried to remove it using my Excal arrow puller, the nock came right out! The rest of the arrow took a little more work.

Newbie question: what should I use to re-bond the nock into the shaft?
Matrix 355
TriggerTech Matrix Hunter
BEA Executioners
Wac'em Exits
String by Vixenmaster
massbow

Post by massbow »

Had the same thing happen to me like three times! I just use fletching glue.
Team 355
chicotrout

Post by chicotrout »

You don't glue the lighted nocks since you have to pull them out in order to service them. The Lumenoks are actually activated by making contact with the end of the bolt. When the bolt is launched it pushes the nock against the end of the bolt therefore closing the circuit; so to turn it off you have to actually back the nock off a hair in order to break the circuit.
Happy Hunting!!!
Matrix 380 Blackout
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

That's a great way to remove nocks and inserts too.
Thanks for sharing your tip. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads