squaring arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Deaf jeff

squaring arrows

Post by Deaf jeff »

I am going to try building my own arrows in the near future and am wondering if squaring arrows is a must for 35 yard maximum hunting distance?
thanks,
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
j.krug

Re: squaring arrows

Post by j.krug »

I've been doing my own arrows for some time now and have had great results without squaring the ends of my arrows. That being said I think that every little detail you do while making arrows will improve performance a bit.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

thanks for the replies. it's obvious that squaring does help. I am afraid if I try to be too perfect right off the bat it will take the enjoyment out of it. so, I will do some arrows up first without squaring to be sure I will enjoy doing this before I jump in and buy everything in order to make good arrows great
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Spect sq'in the shafts is really good. Do you need them that good to hunt wid out to 40 yds ? No! I don't own a sq'in tool, i get all my huntin arrows able to shoot a 3" group at 40 yds. I call it me hardball size group, been doin that fer 55 yrs now. If'en you were shootin in Competion i would say get a good sq'in tool.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boo

Post by Boo »

vixenmaster wrote:Spect sq'in the shafts is really good. Do you need them that good to hunt wid out to 40 yds ? No! I don't own a sq'in tool, i get all my huntin arrows able to shoot a 3" group at 40 yds. I call it me hardball size group, been doin that fer 55 yrs now. If'en you were shootin in Competion i would say get a good sq'in tool.
Mike, the answer to your question is "its all about your expectations". So you think 3" is good enough but some of us don't. Not that either one of us is "right".
Why because that's the way I am. I've always been a person to avoid "tolerance stacking" (Dan knows what I mean) and reduced broadhead accuracy is just one of those variables that affect accuracy that can be dealt with easily without spending too much time or money.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Boo wrote: Why because that's the way I am. I've always been a person to avoid "tolerance stacking"
You've been hanging out with "my kind of people" haven't you? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Boo

Post by Boo »

nchunterkw wrote:
Boo wrote: Why because that's the way I am. I've always been a person to avoid "tolerance stacking"
You've been hanging out with "my kind of people" haven't you? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LOL! I can't help it! My daughter is an Engineering PHD candidate and my son in-law is an Electrical Engineer. Nothing worse then tolerance stacking, it'll bite you when you least expect it, like a 1911 going full auto. :shock:
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Boo wrote: Nothing worse then tolerance stacking, it'll bite you when you least expect it, like a 1911 going full auto. :shock:
Boo .. is this the "Voice of Experience" talking? :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Y'all gettin way to Tech fer me on that stuff. I jus fletch n shoot n watch the tick toters fall dead
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

[quote="Boo"]LOL! I can't help it! My daughter is an Engineering PHD candidate and my son in-law is an Electrical Engineer. quote]
I love it.

It's OK, really. Stop blaming the kids and embrace your "inner-nerd" :lol: You don't have to wear the glasses or the pocket protector
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

So for you people that think arrow squaring is so important, If inserting brass that is an inch or longer how is it possible to be not square unless brass is to small for arrows?
Boo

Post by Boo »

nchunterkw wrote:
Boo wrote:LOL! I can't help it! My daughter is an Engineering PHD candidate and my son in-law is an Electrical Engineer. quote]
I love it.

It's OK, really. Stop blaming the kids and embrace your "inner-nerd" :lol: You don't have to wear the glasses or the pocket protector
I know you're right Keith. I see a problem and I get consumed by the possibilities!
JT, that was not from personal experience. One of the handgun clubs I belonged to had a line of half inch holes in the roof of the outdoor shooting shelter. It was explained to me that someone's 45 went full auto after some drop in parts. I guess the shooter should have had 2 or 3 rounds rather than a full clip when he let his slide rip the first time after his mods. :mrgreen:
Boo

Post by Boo »

Xbowkiller wrote:So for you people that think arrow squaring is so important, If inserting brass that is an inch or longer how is it possible to be not square unless brass is to small for arrows?
Squaring the arrow insert refers to making the face of the front insert a perfect 90% to the axis of the shaft. It ensures that the broadhead sits straight and in the same plane as the arrow shaft. It prevents your broadhead from wobbling. Once you start squaring some arrow inserts you quickly realize that most broadhead accuracy can be improved upon.
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

Boo wrote:
Xbowkiller wrote:So for you people that think arrow squaring is so important, If inserting brass that is an inch or longer how is it possible to be not square unless brass is to small for arrows?
Squaring the arrow insert refers to making the face of the front insert a perfect 90% to the axis of the shaft. It ensures that the broadhead sits straight and in the same plane as the arrow shaft. It prevents your broadhead from wobbling. Once you start squaring some arrow inserts you quickly realize that most broadhead accuracy can be improved upon.
Thank you. Guess I was thinking the wrong thing.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Another consideration is how mating surface of the field tip treats the insert face and how the resultant surface can effect how a broadhead seats. I always square my inserts when I go from field tips to broadheads.