could plastic knocks cause misfire

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

havok

could plastic knocks cause misfire

Post by havok »

I was shooting 20" Carbon Express PileDriver bolts, 125 gr field points and plastic knocks with my Phoenix. I have never had a misfire but today I had 3. I have used firebolts with aluminum knocks until today when I used the piledriver bolts with the plastic knocks. Could the plastic knocks be causing the misfires? Thanks
Excalibur Phoenix
Hawke 3X32 IR SR crossbow scope
Cheekpiece
Excal Fast Flight string
S5 Sound Suppression System
Munch Lite Mount
Firebolts with 150gr Boltcutter BH
kd8jgu

Re: could plastic knocks cause misfire

Post by kd8jgu »

It has been brought up before
If I remember right others have had problems with plastic nocks.
I do have some firebolt nocks here if they will work pm me and I will mail them off
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

havok wrote:I was shooting 20" Carbon Express PileDriver bolts, 125 gr field points and plastic knocks with my Phoenix. I have never had a misfire but today I had 3. I have used firebolts with aluminum knocks until today when I used the piledriver bolts with the plastic knocks. Could the plastic knocks be causing the misfires? Thanks
Let me start with I am not a fan of plastic nocks. And... I never had a partial dryfire with aluminum nocks.... If your plastic nocks are shiny and have ANY amount of an eased edge, you WILL have partial dryfires. I think the cure has been to sand them flat and leave a not so slick surface and leave the edges SQUARE and then they seem to work fine.Using a larger diameter string aka the fact. endless loop over the factory FFF will help as well. I know there are a lot of folks that shoot the plastic nocks and do well with them but they are not what I like to use. jmho
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I had a few partials last year with a FFF string and some plastic nocks. The string slides under the arrow. Sand them flat and keep them a bit rough. This was an older FFF string with the thinner serving material. They are using the thicker stuff now (I think it's 0.032" Angel Majesty). All my strings have the thicker serving material now and I have not had any more problems.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Big John

Post by Big John »

I as well have had no problems with Plastic nocks so far. This after many, many, shots from at least three different high poundage Excal's. "I'm not ever going to say it cant happen", but it never has yet. However, I may add, many people have had partial dryfires from any nocks simply from not seating the arrow properly. Or not checking the seating just before release. A good case point for doing so every single shot before letting that Fly!

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Could be, but make sure you're inserting them all the way back to string. Check to see where the string lines up on the nock and that arrow retention spring has enough tension to hold arrow firmly down. Are you using the same string as with the alums?
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
havok

Post by havok »

Thanks for the advice. I will try roughing up the plastic nocks, they are pretty smooth. I do make sure the arrow has not moved before firing but good advice. I use the same string on all the arrows. The firebolts are carbon fiber, don't have any aluminum arrows. Haven't had misfires with the firebolts, only the piledrivers with the plastic nocks that's why I was thinking that it was the plastic nocks. Thanks for replying.
Excalibur Phoenix
Hawke 3X32 IR SR crossbow scope
Cheekpiece
Excal Fast Flight string
S5 Sound Suppression System
Munch Lite Mount
Firebolts with 150gr Boltcutter BH
Wisc Mac

Post by Wisc Mac »

Not sure if it was a nock, shaft, other issue or some I did ( I.e. not fully seating the bolt). Was shooting a like new zoombie that I got from Newbie as part of a trial kit (3 executioners and 3 zombies), heard a strange sound and saw a weird flight. It was the first time i had shot that bolt, but I believe he had shot it a couble time. Plastic nock was missing and the shaft was splinter down one side and the Cock Vane was missing (that's also the side it was splintered), so it appears the string popped of the nock.

PS - Haven't had any problems with the plastic nocks on the 3 Executions or the other 2 Zoombies - I've probably put 50 shots down range with these 5 with no problems.
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (143.91 KiB) Viewed 5459 times
Last edited by Wisc Mac on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 380 Xtra
Winchester Model 94
Benelli SBE II
greybuff

Post by greybuff »

Does anyone know of a dealer that has a good assortment of aluminum flat nocks? Will the front inserts work as a nock?
thanks.....paul
MICRO 335 CAMO
Nikon Bolt
2Stage TT
FOR THE LITTLE LADY:
VIXEN from an EXOCET (VIXOCET)
Varizone
BOO STRING
Homemade Bumpers
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Interesting situation, as mentioned a thread like thishas come up more than once and never ending with a clear answer. I think there are too many of us who use plastic and never had a problem to blame it on the plastic nocks. Lumenoks are plastic and I never heard anyone say they have problems with those. Maybe its a certain combination of plastic nock with a certain string or certain poundage bow ???? There has to be an answer.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone

Post by newbie »

I have yet to have an issue with plastic nocks. They are all I am shooting now. chipped, dented, smooth shiny all shoot fine so far. I believe like others stated arrows weren't fully seated to cause it.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

In my case I think it was the combination of a weaker spined arrow and a smaller diameter FFF string. I have lots of arrows with plastic nocks, and only had the issue on a few arrows and only with that skinny string.

If the spine of the arrow is oriented so that when the arrow flexes on the shot the middle of the arrow moves upward away from the rail, that will cause the nock to angle away from the string and could help the string slip off. A weaker spined arrow will flex more and create more nock angle.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it :D

like I said though, the 0.032" angle majesty serving material seemed to fix that problem for me.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
KGDPD

Post by KGDPD »

Let me add another observation: Has anybody noticed the vanes on Easton 2219 Magnums touching the ADF? (the mount itself) to the point that they have a slight curl to them? could this be a potential cause for misfire if there is enough downward pressure? Even if it is slight?
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Nine times out of ten people cause mis-fires, and I'm not being smart just stating a fact :mrgreen:

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:Nine times out of ten people cause mis-fires, and I'm not being smart just stating a fact :mrgreen:

Wes
I agree