string flew off

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cthunt

string flew off

Post by cthunt »

I bought a Ibex a few weeks ago and bought a JBK string i put the string on the bow let it stretch for about a week i shot about 15 arrows every thing was fine until this morning i went out to shoot it i shot four arrows everything was fine then i cocked it aimed and shot the string the string flew off one end and slap me around my arm.
I am still trying to figure out what happen i check the limbs for cracks everything looks ok i took the stringer and put the string back on i am going to wait awhile before shooting it again ,does anyone have any idea what went wrong ??
Ten point TL-7
Excalibur Ibex .
GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazer
nap nightmares 100grn.
steve rodo

Re: string flew off

Post by steve rodo »

Was the string totally wrapped around the end of the limbs in the grove.
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Is your brace height adjusted?Post a pic if you can.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

What should the brace be anyhow .Mine is 7/8 ''
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

wabi

Post by wabi »

Several things could cause it.
Among them are -
- end loops too big
- brace height too low
- damaged mag tip
- partial dry fire (arrow not seated tight against string or string jumping off nock)
wabi
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

With a partial dry-fire the down vane would be wrinkled or partly ripped.
Sounds like a complete dry-fire, but I could be wrong.
These are one tough bow.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

I speak for most of us here ..Ive had a few dry fires myself.Good thing i have a dry fire pin .It does work ,sounds like thwack a deer with . :D :D

cthunt

Post by cthunt »

I am working on trying to get pictures off my cell phone, it was not a dry fire the arrow went half way to the target i was shooting at 30 yards ,i am very careful about dryfires i had a few problems with my tenpoint and learned by them.
Another question where do you measure for the brace height is it where the rail meets the bow?
Ten point TL-7
Excalibur Ibex .
nap nightmares 100grn.
cthunt

Post by cthunt »

off to work i will post the pictures later thanks for everyones help ..
Ten point TL-7
Excalibur Ibex .
nap nightmares 100grn.
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

cthunt wrote:I am working on trying to get pictures off my cell phone, it was not a dry fire the arrow went half way to the target i was shooting at 30 yards ,i am very careful about dryfires i had a few problems with my tenpoint and learned by them.
Another question where do you measure for the brace height is it where the rail meets the bow?
yes you got it .

Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

cthunt wrote:I am working on trying to get pictures off my cell phone, it was not a dry fire the arrow went half way to the target i was shooting at 30 yards ,i am very careful about dryfires i had a few problems with my tenpoint and learned by them.
Ok that clears that up about a dry-fire.
Yes you measure brace height from where the rail meets the riser.
If brace height is too low, then it will throw the string.
I am very careful about dry-fires as well but I have had one happen.

Make sure the arrow is fully seated against the string. The smallest of a gap will cause the same issue.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
wabi

Post by wabi »

If the arrow only went half way to the (30yd) target I'd bet you did have a "partial" dry-fire. The string jumped over/under the nock and did not transmit it's full force to the arrow. Could be the arrow wasn't seated tight against the string, or I've heard of problems with the string jumping off plastic nocks.
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

If not a partial dryfire, it can be caused by combination of brace height to low and end loops to big.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
cthunt

Post by cthunt »

I got home form work and took the bow out looked at the brace it looked good to me i loaded another bolt on it took the shot the string flew off the bow again now i am getting gun shy ,I thought about trying the string that came with the bow so i got the string and put it on makeing sure the end loops were right i cocked the bow put a bolt on and squeezed the trigger it flew prefect i shot 3 more bolts everyone flew good the string stayed on .
Now to figure out whats wrong with the JBK STRING??????
Here is a picture of the brace with the JBK string on the bow..
Ten point TL-7
Excalibur Ibex .
nap nightmares 100grn.
ldock

Post by ldock »

This just happened to me yesterday 3 times and finally woke up and checked string good. The culprit was the loops on the string stretched and couldn't stay on changed strings and noticed right away difference in size. Learned a new lesson for this newbe. happy shooting