Ground Blinds

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

prossbow

Ground Blinds

Post by prossbow »

I see there are a few threads that have recommendations and some review type responses on different ones.

I'm in the market for one to use with the crossbow this season. I see the doghouse and similar clones are spoken highly of and are readily available from a few sources in my area.

I'd just like to ask if there is anything new or opinions have changed etc?

What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Kevin
Husband of one, Father of two, Brother of three, Friend of many.

2017 Micro Suppressor
2009 Vortex
vixenmaster

Re: Ground Blinds

Post by vixenmaster »

I have 2 of the Doghouse models & they serve the intended perpose rather well. Picked'em up a maul-mart on sale couple yrs back
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Bobby B

Post by Bobby B »

Are you packing in and packing it out each time? I'm a firm believer you get what you pay for and that is one I use Double Bull. But, I leave mine out all season, in fact just put them out a couple of days ago.
Mathews z7eXtreme Tactical
Matrix 380 (New to This)
Sako A-7 308

Sling Shot if I have to do it....
prossbow

Post by prossbow »

Bobby B wrote:Are you packing in and packing it out each time? I'm a firm believer you get what you pay for and that is one I use Double Bull. But, I leave mine out all season, in fact just put them out a couple of days ago.
I may have to take it out with me near daily, at most leave it over night if I'm going to be back in first light.

Thanks,

Kevin
Husband of one, Father of two, Brother of three, Friend of many.

2017 Micro Suppressor
2009 Vortex
Bobby B

Post by Bobby B »

A couple of guys I've hunted with had the Doghouse and had problems with fading and sun damage, basically the sun was eating the material. But if you pick it up everyday....
Mathews z7eXtreme Tactical
Matrix 380 (New to This)
Sako A-7 308

Sling Shot if I have to do it....
Backstraps

Post by Backstraps »

I have a couple of the doghouse blinds and they work ok. I like to leave them out most of the season so they get a little beat up. I am also in an area with quite a few sticky fingers running around so I lose one every so often to them. Can't afford to lose too many double bull blinds so I stay with the cheap ones.
Matrix Grizzly
Vixenmaster strings
100 gr. Magnus Heads
BEE .001
AAE Max Stealth Vanes
_woods

Post by _woods »

Bought a Barronett ground blind two years ago after reading a lot of positive reviews... Thing lasted less than a season before the hubs broke and the fabric started tearing.
Can't say I'm a fan.
2012 Eclipse
Home-brewed D10 Flemish string
GT II III w/ 175 'Tricks
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I think the sun will fade any of them. Brother in law leaves his out yr round, got to be nearly white!! deer didnt care. I personally think the Doghouse is smallish. I prefer the larger hub style Brickhouse blinds and watch the sales for them. LOTS more room inside and can get farther back from front window( a good thang) Dont get me wrong, you will fit in a Doghouse, but you will be COZY!. Bigger really is better in somethings.jmho
mbc4

Post by mbc4 »

if you live where it snows a decent amount and leave your blinds up get the doghouse, they can generally stand all but the worst snowloads, where as the hubs can not, they will be crushed. my own personal experience.
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
chicotrout

Post by chicotrout »

I've had great luck with the Ghost blind, not enclosed but it fools all of the critters. Here is their website if you want to check it out... (copy and paste)
http://www.ghostblind.com
Happy Hunting!!!
Matrix 380 Blackout
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Have always wanted to try the ghost blind, i like the concept but cannot justify the price for what you get. I think it would be great in a corn field thats just been cut.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
chicotrout

Post by chicotrout »

It is pricey for sure but I have had turkeys and does bump my blind. So if you look at it that way, the price doesn't seem so bad after all. :D :D
Happy Hunting!!!
Matrix 380 Blackout
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Lol an honest answer from me would have been "dam, I wish I had the coin to buy one". :lol:
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Fur&Feathers

Post by Fur&Feathers »

I've got a couple of the cheap Guide Gear popup blinds from the Sportman's Guide. My blinds get packed in and out each day. Leave them sit too long where I hunt and they won't be there when you come back. In any event, because I don't leave them out, they don't get exposed to the elements all that much so I can't speak to how they'd hold up for an extended period left out, but I can say they've worked very well for me. Setup in minutes. Add some natural camo to them and you're good to go.