Steady your shot method?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dan/kingfish

Steady your shot method?

Post by Dan/kingfish »

I was out yesterday with the new Matrix 380 for the first time, great x-bow, never thought I'd be sending arrows 60 yards at a target with confidence let alone the accuracy I was getting, I'm sure that will get better once Big Johns arrows arrive. I was using a saw horse or a mono-pod shooting stick to steady my shots as well I have used homemade tri-pods with sticks and a section of intertube in the past for the shotgun with turkeys or my knee when in a tree stand for deer. Anyone have a method that helps them hold the crosshairs steady?
steve rodo

Re: Steady your shot method?

Post by steve rodo »

Dan/kingfish wrote:I was out yesterday with the new Matrix 380 for the first time, great x-bow, never thought I'd be sending arrows 60 yards at a target with confidence let alone the accuracy I was getting, I'm sure that will get better once Big Johns arrows arrive. I was using a saw horse or a mono-pod shooting stick to steady my shots as well I have used homemade tri-pods with sticks and a section of intertube in the past for the shotgun with turkeys or my knee when in a tree stand for deer. Anyone have a method that helps them hold the crosshairs steady?

Breathing will help hold steady .Without the use of anything .
Freehand.
Breath-in -breath out . Hold your breath on the out fer

second ,then shoot.Your heart beat will distract your shooting .

I bury my left arm into my body side to shoot free hand .Acts as a rest against the body.Hard to get use to .but it works to steady your shot too.

It;s kinda like your knee for turkey hunting ,except your

standing up .using you body instead of your knee.

Enjoy your 380 ,it's a nice shootin x-bow .
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

BRAS Breathe Relax Aim Sqeeze Works for me and the military for decades :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

JPjunkie wrote:BRAS Breathe Relax Aim Sqeeze Works for me and the military for decades :D
All of that plus
http://rifle-craft.com/product/rs1-rein ... oop-sling/
MSC

Post by MSC »

For me, I am much more accurate with a bipod shooting stick. Especially longer shots.
2011 Exomax
Boo Custom String
Shadow Zone
Gold Tip Lazer II Pro
G5 Strikers 100gr
Dan/kingfish

Post by Dan/kingfish »

Thanks Guys, all good points and it looks like that sling may be the next addition to the xbow and I'll attempt to use the BRAS mantra. I was out again and realised another. From shooting skeet I learned that proper consistant form is a major player in hitting targets and I'm sure that it holds true for the xbow. I wasn't putting the butt of the stock into the shoulder pocket as solid as I should possibley due to the lack recoil or just being sloppy but it improved my shot when I did and kept the crosshairs steady.
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

That sling takes a little getting used to and time to get it set but once you've got it sussed it's solid.
Must adjust it so the elbow is well into the hip and the butt is tight into the shoulder.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

steve rodo wrote:Breathing will help hold steady .Without the use of anything .
Freehand.
Breath-in -breath out . Hold your breath on the out fer

second ,then shoot.Your heart beat will distract your shooting .

I bury my left arm into my body side to shoot free hand .Acts as a rest against the body.Hard to get use to .but it works to steady your shot too.
I use that position a lot, with both crossbow and rifle. Its the same position that biathalon shooters use.

When breathing out and holding your breath, don't breath out all your air. Release a half-breath and hold it.

I use a rest only to confirm my bow is sighted in (which is easy because my Excalibur never shifts zero!). Afterwards I do all my practicing freehand or sitting (resting my elbow on my knee like I would sitting in a stand).
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount