Heavy bolts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Taylmatr

Heavy bolts?

Post by Taylmatr »

Local archery shop has some Easton aluminums not sure the number that are gonna weigh in at 453 gr with BH. Is this too heavy to shoot out of a ibex with the excel string? I was afraid it might slow it down enough to make the scope point not line up at the yardages. Anyone with experience with this bow or heavy arrows would be appreciated.
Bobby B

Re: Heavy bolts?

Post by Bobby B »

It will slow the bow down, but upside, heavier arrow will be quiter.
Mathews z7eXtreme Tactical
Matrix 380 (New to This)
Sako A-7 308

Sling Shot if I have to do it....
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

Id go with the heavier shaft myself ..I did lose speed but still dead crazy accurate and a little less zing.i went from 359 to 315 fps .
Ill have a punchy area when it thwacks the deer .It will probably knock them over ,it's gonna hit so hard with the heavier shaft.

Id have the knock down power before i need speed .The heavy arra's will still zip through them like butter.
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

Bobby B wrote:It will slow the bow down, but upside, heavier arrow will be quiter.
10/4 you wont notice that much of a difference .just have to adjust your scope elevation a to the up side .Your windage should't change .I't wont be much from lite arra's to heavier arra's.The heavier arra's will shoot lower then the light arra's.
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

automated11

Post by automated11 »

I was using a 650 grain arrow on a vixen II and shot 4 deer with them last year. None are still alive to talk about it. Heavy arrows will give you extra penetration power, for example a speed boat hitting an object at high speed will do damage but a barge moving at full speed will pummel something and keep going.
Super Vixen - AKA Matrix 355 with Vixen II Stock
Buggy Bumpers
Gold Tip Laser 4 Arrows with Swhacker 125 Heads
Miller Quiver Mount
Leupold Shotgun Scope (Miller)
Flemish String

Micro 355 Tact-zone Package, soon to be modded.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Since 1992 I have had complete pass throughs on ever single deer using my Excalibur and 345-375 grain arrows, even the largest Ontario Whitetail I ever harvested took a 4 blade Rocket 2" x 2" attached to a 360 gr. arrow through and through. 25+ dead deer is proof that heavy is not always required on deer sized animals.
When deer hunting my preference is to get the arrow there fast with minimal drop.When I hunted moose, heavy arrows sending higher KE were used exclusively.
Just my thoughts.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

enormous wrote:Since 1992 I have had complete pass throughs on ever single deer using my Excalibur and 345-375 grain arrows, even the largest Ontario Whitetail I ever harvested took a 4 blade Rocket 2" x 2" attached to a 360 gr. arrow through and through. 25+ dead deer is proof that heavy is not always required on deer sized animals.
When deer hunting my preference is to get the arrow there fast with minimal drop.When I hunted moose, heavy arrows sending higher KE were used exclusively.
Just my thoughts.

You are correct .Heavier dosen't mean it's any more potent to a deer.I've also shot deer with lite arra's as low as 300 gr .and they also blew thru the deer .
I also shoot hogs and bear on my deer hunt's .Them hogs have some tough part's to get thru too.

Post by newbie »

Arrows do their work by cutting unlike bullets that transfer energy. it all depends what you are after. flatter shooting or quieter arrow slower arrow.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthrea ... d+momentum
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

lets do a "best case"..... its about totally black out, time to call it a done deal..but,
then... a healthy whitetail,
(gender not important if you hunt for meat like me 8)
walks out at 30yrds with flat elevation from you....
what would you prefer to be nocked-up in your excal ??
me, above 425gr to penetrate both shoulders so I ain't gotta blood trail the swamp most of the evening !!!
time is of the essence, in my part of the world :wink:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
mbc4

Post by mbc4 »

a golf in the head at 150 mph, or a bowling ball at 60 mph both are going to smart but i think we know which one will crush it for sure! :lol: :wink:
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I had a pass-thru on a 1000 lb cow buff at 20 yds w/ 446gr total weight at about 310 fps.

The Slick cut a rib in two on the way out.
"Eze 18:21"
Dayelight

Post by Dayelight »

http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/Ashby-O ... n-W19.aspx

I read the entirety of this article. I feel like I accomplished something. It has a great deal of detail regarding arrow weights and all that jazz that goes with making an arrow and broad head pass through a deer.
This was also part of the Archery Talk link someone else posted up here earlier in this post.
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I am shooting 2219s with brass inserts and 125 gr heads just over 520grs total out of my ibex 295fps scope works great
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Heavy gets it done no question, this old tractor tire test shows a little something to think about, some of the favorite bh's were used, the 350gr tipped with magnus stinger showed it's stuff, the other three were 450 to 485grs and the tire destroyed the bh's, these were shot at 20 yds, like I said heavy get's it done, I have confidence in my 350gr arrows :)

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Taylmatr

Post by Taylmatr »

Thanks for the advice guys think ill grab a half doz after work Tomm and give them a shot. Hopefully it will quiet the bow down some too.