What do you do with your bow in a tree stand?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

What do you do with your bow in a tree stand?

Post by Boo »

Recently a couple of videos raised a point. The video was not witnessed nor was the equipment verified for its authenticity (tampered with). Not to mention it was made by someone that some consider has a somewhat dubious past. However it did raise a point with me.
When you are in a tree stand it was proposed that if you loaded your arra in your bow and forgot to put your safety or forgot to put it back on and the bow was dropped and the bow landed on the butt the bow may discharge. Now I know that's a whole lot of ifs and maybes as well as a Darwin thing but I can tell you that it won't happen to me because when I hunt from a tree stand I always tether my bow to the stand. I never did it because I was afraid of it discharging but I did it because I'm afraid of falling asleep and dropping my bow. I use a fairly heavy cord about the same strength as the rope cocker.
Does anyone else do the same?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Re: What do you do with your bow in a tree stand?

Post by Normous »

100% of the time my crossbow is tethered so only about a 4 foot drop could result if it my crossbow happens to fall by accident (never has yet). I also want to add that my tether always goes through the thumbhole cutout and not the stirrup for safety. This season my tether is going around the palm swell of the Y25 stock , with a little bit of slack the rope should not be noticable too much.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Dayelight

Post by Dayelight »

Definitely alot of what ifs here.
Of course its better to err on the side of caution when it comes to these things.
Honestly, I cock my bow before I get up in my stand and then load it once I'm seated. On the current hang on stand Im using I have a nice bow rest on the front so generally I dont even hold onto my xbow when Im seated.
Two years ago I dropped my Ithaca model 37 out of my climbing stand. I was pulling it up and the rope came undone. Fortunately I hadn't loaded a shell in the chamber and the gun landed barrel down like a spear. I took it home and cleaned it up with no damage done. Could have definitely been worse if it was loaded and sent a pumpkin ball my way. :shock:
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I pull my pack up and tie it off so it sets at my feet but I just hold my crossbow in my hands
Boo

Post by Boo »

enormous wrote:100% of the time my crossbow is tethered so only about a 4 foot drop could result if it my crossbow happens to fall by accident (never has yet). I also want to add that my tether always goes through the thumbhole cutout and not the stirrup for safety. This season my tether is going around the palm swell of the Y25 stock , with a little bit of slack the rope should not be noticable too much.
Yep! I forgot to say that I tie mine off so it would point down if it fell overboard. It's never happened nor has it come close. I'm just paranoid! :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Boo wrote:
enormous wrote:100% of the time my crossbow is tethered so only about a 4 foot drop could result if it my crossbow happens to fall by accident (never has yet). I also want to add that my tether always goes through the thumbhole cutout and not the stirrup for safety. This season my tether is going around the palm swell of the Y25 stock , with a little bit of slack the rope should not be noticable too much.
Yep! I forgot to say that I tie mine off so it would point down if it fell overboard. It's never happened nor has it come close. I'm just paranoid! :shock:
The fall wont hurt you ...its the sudden stop that will :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I cock mine on the ground tie hoist cord to it. Go up & untie then put a tether cord tied at rear to sling bottom. Then i load my arrow & wait fer my tick toter
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D i have an e-z hanger above me, hook the stirup on it. when the time comes the bow is right off to my side and ease it off the hanger.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
trashedback

Post by trashedback »

I use a High Point Products crossbow holder attached to the rail and also always have a small length of paracord tied to my Exocet with enough length to be able to swing in all directions. Had a buddy drop his .270 and it went off....but went out the other direction....lucky guy!!!!!! The crossbow holder is really nice cause it can adjust to all different kinds of angles. :roll:
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Never thought of tethering, probably the best idea. I saw the video you mentioned, and in a duck blind I've seen a good friends double barrel shotgun blow both barrels from an impact, (like the one in the dubious video), with the safety ON!

I make heavy duty screw-in bow hangers and the crossbow hangs off to the right of my shoulder. I make my own for two reasons: commercially made hangers are expensive and most are not strong enough to hold the weight of a crossbow. I tested one at ground level with an unloaded bow and the three little tack welds that held the lag screw to the bar broke almost instantly...so buyers beware!
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I tie every every thing to the bottom of my climber or ladder stand, if I do lose it being bow or gun it swings underneath me, I also make sure the bottom of the climber is tied to the top and secure,knew a guy who spent the nite with the owls because he didn't.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
strum

Post by strum »

I pull my bow up and cock it in the stand. never had any trouble doing so and I hate pulling up a cocked bow. but I never thought of the tether till I saw the dubious post too 8)
I think im going to do it this year . I have almost dropped it before.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16

Post by newbie »

I cock my bow on the ground and attach the rope to the bow through the thubhole then when I haul it up I tie the haul rope to a hook leaving 4-5 feet of slack and then load an arra. I also give my haul rope a tug before attaching to bow had thw vortex drop 15 ft due to a chipmunk that used my rope as floss.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The Summit has a "shooting bar" across the front, when I get seated I take one end of the shoulder strap off and pass it through, the bow can't fall past the bottom half of the climber.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

Shoot it !! just kiddin :lol:

I hunt out of a Summit Climber !!
I put it on the front top rail.Ready to shoot.Sometimes's i use a bipod .
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.