Anti Dry Fire - New String?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

woodsy

Anti Dry Fire - New String?

Post by woodsy »

Well, after many shots, I messed up and only pushed the bolt back to the anti dry fire spot. Pulled the trigger and boom, nothing but a loud clank. Question is do I need to replace the string because of that? I never did, but I also had one of the limbs during a hunt scrape the side of a tree when shot , I was too close acoming arund it to shoot. Not sure what the effects are or if one of these caused my bolts to all be 2-3" lower vertically afterward. Took it back to the range and I had to adjust the scope up several clicks (side to side was fine). Seems to fire ok, but Im wondering if theres more of an issue than I am seeing. Need to have it at 100% since I use it a lot for hunting hogs and they dont take kindly to be knicked. thx
Boo

Re: Anti Dry Fire - New String?

Post by Boo »

No you should not have damaged your string. It's happened to my 380 a few times, once by me!
No too sure about hitting a tree but anytime I've hit anything with a limb tip the limb tip won and the incident had no impact on my POI.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

If you haven't dry fired your bow you aren't shooting it .It didn't hurt what you did ,
Just shoot it and all is normal again.
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I did the same thing last night and noticed that my serving frayed a bit...no big deal. Didn't affect POI for me.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
woodsy

Post by woodsy »

racking up points wrote:I did the same thing last night and noticed that my serving frayed a bit...no big deal. Didn't affect POI for me.
Thats what mine did, just a little fray. I was concerned that when the end of the limb scraped the tree, the bow kicked back some. When i got it home the hits were off by 1-2" lower vertically this being my first crossbow and only hunting with it for just under a year i was afraid I messed it up. With my compound Hoyt bow, Id banged it a few times in the stand and it was always somewhat messed up after. One of the reasons I went to the Excal, as hog hunting in the brush its much easier to manage and shoot with.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Would suspect the dryfire resulted in a little more stretch of the string all at once then one would normally see. Hence the lower POI afterwards.
My quess would be that a few twists of the string may have also put you back to your POI.

What I have done with my back up string is to take the time inadvance to prestretch it to hit the same POI as the one in use.
Saves a lot of time and gives me a little more confident if I have to perform a string change in the field when set to the same original brace height which should / will most likely be the same POI.
Plus a switchout of the string to the prestretched backup is also a good check to determine if the string is the issue or something else with the crossbow may be in play if a change of POI has occured after a dryfire situation.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Check your limbs w/ a cotton ball.......Just to be sure....
"Eze 18:21"