Pondering a Bear Kill

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dewy

Pondering a Bear Kill

Post by dewy »

I've got a 250lb male and a bit smaller female with cub hanging around one of my stands on my good friends farm. I've never shot a bear nor have I ever eaten any bear meat. Can you guys give me a little insight into what bear meat most resembles, beef, pork etc...
Is it best to slow cook it all or can it be steaked or used for kabobs and that kinda thing.
Thanks for your help.
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers
Fletch2

Re: Pondering a Bear Kill

Post by Fletch2 »

chicken :lol: just kiddin not sure.
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

Neighbor got a 235 lb sow last fall, she was very tasty.
I helped skin her an process her, not a bad job at all, keep lots of "Fast Orange" hand cleaner on hand, helps cut the grease off your hands an knives.

The meat was very dark an tender, flavor was actually better than beef. I cooked a roast for a couple of my nonhunting friends and they really liked and enjoyed it.
I told them what it was ahead of time, both liked it better than beef. Not gamey at all, of coarse she'd been feeding on apples, berries and corn, mainly corn, same as local deer munch on.
Yep, steaks, roast, kabobs, all would be good. Few yrs ago I had some sausage made with bear, was wonderful stuff.
Just remember, it's all fun and games till they hit the ground :mrgreen:
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Should'nt you worry about shooting it first?? I made mine into sausage. Ends all the problems with the wife. Good luck. :D
Hot Pepper Dude

Post by Hot Pepper Dude »

Hi. A lot of people are turned off by bear meat. The animals do have a lot of fat, especially going into the Fall season. However, you can "tame the game" by careful trimming and utilizing various cooking methods. Just be aware that bear meat needs to be cooked very thoroughly due to trichinosis, a parasite that is present in them.

There are many excellent recipes for bear. Some are in magazines, others are on websites. In any case, respect the animal and make the most of it after you harvest it. Anything less is unacceptable.

Regards, H.P.D.