Stripped scope mount screws... !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BravoKilo

Stripped scope mount screws... !

Post by BravoKilo »

Was restringing my bow a few weeks back and unfortunately didn't pay attention to which side of the arrow retainer the stringer was on -- long story short, bent the hell out of the retainer.

Left it for a rainy day to fix, and well today is that said rainy day. Attempted to bend it back with the mount in place but unfortunately the bend is too far back in the retainer to do much good.

Decided to pull the mount off and what do you know... managed to get 1 screw out successfully, but stripped 2 others :evil: (Wonder if they replaced threadlocker with JB Weld on these screws).

Anybody have any recommendations on successfully removing the damaged screws? At this point all I can think of is to dremel a slot into each of the heads and use a large flat-blade screwdriver to remove them. Any other ideas?

All that being said, any idea where I can pick up a new set of scope mount screws and perhaps a new arrow retainer?

Thanks!
Rufus

Re: Stripped scope mount screws... !

Post by Rufus »

That is what i did and it worked good for me
Normous

Post by Normous »

Dremel a slot first and use heat second then remove.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I would Dremel a slot and then take a automatic center punch and pop it several times to see if that would move it . and if it didn't I would use a GOOD screwdriver in the slot . Most of the time the punch will work and if it doesn't it will make it easier for the screwdriver to loosen it . Hope this helps .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Sears (perhaps others) markets a screw remover. You open up the damaged hole with one side of a special bit, the other end has a reverse thread that catches the sides of the enlarged hole. Works slick, sort of like a shallow Easy Out.
Prior to doing anything, tap a tight fitting bit into the screw head if possible, and heat the bit with a small butane torch. Heat will transfer from bit to screw and melt the LocTite if it's there.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
BravoKilo

Post by BravoKilo »

Turns out I was able to get the screws out without having to dremel. On the 2 damaged screws, only the tops were stripped out -- was able to seat a hex bit with a few mallet taps, applied some heat, and was able to break them free. Thanks for the help guys!

Question now is if I should keep the fancy new Dremel 4000 kit I picked up earlier today or keep the fiancee happy and return it :lol:

Post by newbie »

I say keep it. Need to get them used to it sooner or later.
I just ask basically the same question to her after i "needed" something....need another pair of shoes hunny?
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Dayelight

Post by Dayelight »

KEEP IT!!
One of the most handy tools I own.
There are a million different attachments for them.
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Call Danny Miller for new screws/hold-down at 740 483-2312.......He's quick........
"Eze 18:21"
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Happy wife = happy life....... oh wait, yer not married yet so keep it !! in fact, get out and buy some fun toyz NOW before your married and its to late LOL
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
BravoKilo

Post by BravoKilo »

awshucks wrote:Call Danny Miller for new screws/hold-down at 740 483-2312.......He's quick........
Bought a few items from Danny in the past and always had nothing but great things to say about him. Today was no different.

Gave him a call this afternoon and told him what I was looking for. After some gentle ribbing on the proper use of the stringer ( :) ) he took down my info and said he'd get the items out shortly. He was about to hang up when I chimed in that he forgot to take my payment info down -- made a quick joke and said not to worry about it. Tried to insist but he wasn't having it.

Now it's a few hours later and I'm still amazed. Awesome to see that this world still has some great individuals with outstanding character and generosity.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

BravoKilo wrote:
awshucks wrote:Call Danny Miller for new screws/hold-down at 740 483-2312.......He's quick........
Bought a few items from Danny in the past and always had nothing but great things to say about him. Today was no different.

Gave him a call this afternoon and told him what I was looking for. After some gentle ribbing on the proper use of the stringer ( :) ) he took down my info and said he'd get the items out shortly. He was about to hang up when I chimed in that he forgot to take my payment info down -- made a quick joke and said not to worry about it. Tried to insist but he wasn't having it.

Now it's a few hours later and I'm still amazed. Awesome to see that this world still has some great individuals with outstanding character and generosity.
Hello fellow Michigander,

I am glad Danny got what you needed. He is one of a kind, they broke the mold.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's