Ok lets talk about scopes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcattrapper

Ok lets talk about scopes

Post by bobcattrapper »

Since I just had a issue with mine and it looks like another fella now possibly does too? I have put my share if differnt ones on severl rifles over the many years but one thing I really have never dealt with on a scope ever!! On the SMF kit the scope has friction adj. as well as a positive click.I never have seen this on a scope.Ever.So whats the purpose? Crossbow specific? What if you stay in the friction part on your sight in? Will the scope track? Does it matter? Will it only change POI in a positive click position?And does the Vari zone work like the SMF one in regards to friction and clicks??
Last edited by bobcattrapper on Sat May 16, 2020 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ont_Excal

Re: Ok lets talk about scopes

Post by Ont_Excal »

Interesting topic.
I don't have the scope you have a problem with but I have a MaxZone, VariZone and ShadowZone.
Other than they each have different features in magnification and illumination, I have not had any issues with either of the three and not the one before that and I cannot remember what it was called.

Crossbow scopes are different from rifle scopes although some use rifle and shotgun scopes on their crossbows with good success.
I have not ventured out away from Excalibur scopes and I'm not saying that I won't at some point.

I wouls think that with shorter ranges parallax needs to be set accordingly.
Not sure where Excalibur scopes in that topic.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

bobcattrapper wrote:Since I just had a issue with mine and it looks like another fella now possibly does too? I have put my share if differnt ones on severl rifles over the many years but one thing I really have never dealt with on a scope ever!! On the SMF kit the scope has friction adj. as well as a positive click.I never have seen this on a scope.Ever.So whats the purpose? Crossbow specific? What if you stay in the friction part on your sight in? Will the scope track? Does it matter? Will it only change POI in a positive click position?And does the Vari zone work like the SMF one in regards to friction and clicks??
Those are "click" adjustments...... They are just "mushy" click adjustments.Never felt an Excal scope that had really positive clicks.Click...slide...move...click again, repeat. Mine have all been sorta that way, some worse than others.I think it has something to do with adj.1/2" at 20yrds vs1/4" at 100yrds.( gotta move farther) All of mine have adjusted though. and are-were good scopes for the price.If you think about it they do a lot of stuff for under a hundred bucks.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

flightattendant100 wrote:
bobcattrapper wrote:Since I just had a issue with mine and it looks like another fella now possibly does too? I have put my share if differnt ones on severl rifles over the many years but one thing I really have never dealt with on a scope ever!! On the SMF kit the scope has friction adj. as well as a positive click.I never have seen this on a scope.Ever.So whats the purpose? Crossbow specific? What if you stay in the friction part on your sight in? Will the scope track? Does it matter? Will it only change POI in a positive click position?And does the Vari zone work like the SMF one in regards to friction and clicks??
Those are "click" adjustments...... They are just "mushy" click adjustments.Never felt an Excal scope that had really positive clicks.Click...slide...move...click again, repeat. Mine have all been sorta that way, some worse than others.I think it has something to do with adj.1/2" at 20yrds vs1/4" at 100yrds.( gotta move farther) All of mine have adjusted though. and are-were good scopes for the price.If you think about it they do a lot of stuff for under a hundred bucks.
I got real lucky as I was having scope issues with a cheap Tasco I had on my Vortex-Scope wouldn't hold POI So I went into my local Woodbury Outfitters here in Ohio after my friend told me where he got the scope he gave to me, and low and behold they had some more of them for 49.99 regular price 149.99 with lighted red/green reticle yes they are made by Hawke Optics for Horton and Horton being no more I jumped on another one for a back-up. I will be honest with you this scope is crystal clear even for these aging eyes and dose it hold POI shot the nock off at 20 yds and tube one at 30 yds last Sunday- Not to mention a 10 yd Robinhood too. :D
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Dave may I ask the model # of that Hawke sourced Horton?

Thanks Fred
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Fred T wrote:Dave may I ask the model # of that Hawke sourced Horton?

Thanks Fred
Fred it is a model # SS320 and yes it is made in China but is holding up just fine.
I did call Hawke and ask them if they would warrant or repair since it was made by them for Horton and was a brandnew scope. They said they wouldn't warrant it but it would depend what it needed in reguards to parts for repairs.
I just wanted to know for the future in case of any issues or problems that may crop up. So that is why I grabed a 2nd one as a back-up but like I said before so good. Hoped that helped ya out-Dave :D
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Thanks Dave ,thats a big help it looks good.I'm looking for other economical options for my Ibex.There are a few on ebay but getting shipping to Canada is a problem.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Fred T wrote:Thanks Dave ,thats a big help it looks good.I'm looking for other economical options for my Ibex.There are a few on ebay but getting shipping to Canada is a problem.
Hey I wish you all the best in getting one. They seem like a really nice scope for the money. Hey they also got Hawke 2011 etched or painted in small print on the front lens you can see it if you look through the scope. Here is Woodbury outfitters #'s740-426-6559 also 740-526-0550 and 740-623-2227. You might want to see if that price is still good at 49.99. Hope it works out good for ya-Dave :D
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Thanks again Dave.Hopefully I can find a similar deal on one.How is the eye relief?There are some good deals to be had on Tact Zones but a number of folks have mentioned they are very critical as to eye position.This to me would make it highly undesirable.

Fred
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
rbcss

Post by rbcss »

Dave, does that scope ss320 have the yardage markings or just a crosshair.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

rbcss wrote:Dave, does that scope ss320 have the yardage markings or just a crosshair.
It has the yardage markings from 20 to 60 yds and you can use the bottom of top post for a close 10 yard shot. Also has a Multi- a-range reticle for arrow drop compensation is calibrated with 425 grain arrow for the following bow speeds
For example 7x= 405 fps, 6x=380 fps,5x=350fps,4x=316fps3x+277fps,2x=230fps
Another words to make it simple it is a 2-7x32mm scope multi-a-range reticle system and Vari-range technology with Intergrated Power Ring Selector,Windage Marks,and pre- calibrated arrow drop compensator for enhanced accuracy. Also is red/Green lighted Reticle which makes it nice for low light situation and as you know if the CR-2032 battery goes out you still have darkened cross hairs whgich means you always do have a scope you can use. Hoped that helped :D :D :D
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

xiaomingzc wrote:We at Hushbabies have a http://www.rsgoldfast.com exclusive technique in which we concentrate on the development of our company with do it again client buys. We believe that clients come to us not just for the wide variety and great high quality of items we have on provide, but also for the information and knowledge we provide them. We also perform on http://www.WOWgoldpvp.com developing a variety of WOW encounters (for example, delivering customized greetings during the child's first birthday).Moreover we track the ROI of every client and then choose whether to spend money on a particular advertising technique or http://www.d3face.com not.How is the competitors in this classification coming up?
Say What?????
rbcss

Post by rbcss »

thanks. I see a Horton ss320, ss330 and ss331. the ss330 and ss331 show the yardage markers but the ss320 says lighted reticle.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Fred T wrote:Thanks again Dave.Hopefully I can find a similar deal on one.How is the eye relief?There are some good deals to be had on Tact Zones but a number of folks have mentioned they are very critical as to eye position.This to me would make it highly undesirable.

Fred
Fred -eye relief is 4"-3" Does have fast eye focus :D
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

It's a shame, but Horton products no longer have any warranty, while Excal's are fully warrantied, something to think about..................
"Eze 18:21"