Moon Nocks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Moon Nocks

Post by nchunterkw »

I bought some GT Laser IV's at Bass Pro and they had moon nocks in them. In shooting last night I was seeing some POI change - like 1.5" at 20 yds. I just put a new (used) scope on the Vortex so I am wondering if it is the scope or the nocks. Switched to shooting some arrows with flat nocks and didn't see the change, so I am hoping it's the way the nocks and string play together. Shooting an Excalibur FFF string (kinda thin)

Anyone see moon nocks act up like this?
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Limbs and Sticks

Re: Moon Nocks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

nchunterkw wrote:I bought some GT Laser IV's at Bass Pro and they had moon nocks in them. In shooting last night I was seeing some POI change - like 1.5" at 20 yds. I just put a new (used) scope on the Vortex so I am wondering if it is the scope or the nocks. Switched to shooting some arrows with flat nocks and didn't see the change, so I am hoping it's the way the nocks and string play together. Shooting an Excalibur FFF string (kinda thin)

I don't give them a chance to act up :mrgreen:

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Cherokeeson

Post by Cherokeeson »

nchunterkw wrote:I bought some GT Laser IV's at Bass Pro and they had moon nocks in them. In shooting last night I was seeing some POI change - like 1.5" at 20 yds. I just put a new (used) scope on the Vortex so I am wondering if it is the scope or the nocks. Switched to shooting some arrows with flat nocks and didn't see the change, so I am hoping it's the way the nocks and string play together. Shooting an Excalibur FFF string (kinda thin)

I looked at some GT IV's last night a Bass Pro here the moon nocks but they also had a bag in the end of the box with flat aluminum nocks in it.
Equinox (Exodus) - Vari-Zone - Big John Custom Arrows
Swhackers, Mangus Stingers
The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
—Albert Einstein
strum

Post by strum »

if your flat nocs flew good then theres your answer.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I know but the problem was that the others flew good too for awhile. Then I got a step change. Checked the mounts and they might have been a little loose. So I quit, went in and re-loctited them and left it sit for a day.

Yesterday all was good, then 1 arrow was high. But the next was dead on. Then it was high and the other was dead on. So I changed to the other arrows with the flat nocks and all seemed well, but I had to quit before I was satisfied.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried them and seen POI changes
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Did a lot of shooting last night with some CE Maxima Hunters with flat nocks and everything was solid. No POI changes at all.

Didn't get too many replied on this thread, so I guess not too many shoot , or have tried to shoot moon nocks. But anyway, here is my observation from this recent activity

Previously, with an endless loop (thicker) string I did not have any POI issues while shooting some old stuff with moon nocks. However, in shooting these GT laser4's with a FFF Excal string, I saw the POI be fine for awhile and then change by about 1" (high) at 20yards. Then maybe on the next shot, be perfectly fine again. This did not happen initially and only after I had been shooting awhile. My theory is that the FFF string is "thinner" so it might not hit the moon nock exactly in the center, and as I shot, the serving wore down or flattened out a bit and made that situation worse. The result was a flyer.

I hope this helps anyone trying these out, or thinking about it.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

When I first switched to an Excal cb some years ago, I still had some arrows with moon nocks in them that I wanted to use instead of buying any new ones. I tried using them, but had similar results as you have had. There was no consistency in my POI. In looking carefully at how the string contacted the nock, I could see that it was catching the nock a little low on the center of it. I was guessing that it was putting some downward pressure on the arrow and possibly flipping the nose of the arrow up....which in turn must have been making them fly eratically. I got rid of all the moon nocks and have had little problem with that ever again. My thought anyway...

Larry
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Thanks Larry....that confirms it to me.
I think you might get away with it with a thicker string that hits in the middle, but it's not worth the hassle.
I'm just happy it's not my scope
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hawkeyemd

Post by Hawkeyemd »

nchunterkw: Before I purchased my Excal. Vortex, Ihad a HortonNitro Hunter. It called for moon nocks. I tried them in my Excal., they shot OK, but didn't want to be bothered with "cock fletch" down all the time. I took all my moon arrows to local archery shop, he carfully set-up his arrow cut-off saw and cut the moons off, making them flat nocks !! They work great, and saved me from selling or trading my arrows ! Thanks, Hawkeyemd
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

ive used moon nocks with good accuracy. about 2 years ago i herd of several having issues with plastic flat nocks slippng under. never had it happen to me but my carbon express maximas came with both type nocks. i changed them out to moons just to be safe. i even purchased Parker capture nocks as an experiment because they will fit the maximas. havent tried to change them out and dont even know if they will work with Excaliburs latch and clearance but someday i will see if they fit under . i never got the whole inconvenience with cock feather down . coming from recurves and compound upright bows its almost engrained in me.i now shoot black eagles with aluminum flats. great arrow!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Hawkeyemd wrote:nchunterkw: Before I purchased my Excal. Vortex, Ihad a HortonNitro Hunter. It called for moon nocks. I tried them in my Excal., they shot OK, but didn't want to be bothered with "cock fletch" down all the time. I took all my moon arrows to local archery shop, he carfully set-up his arrow cut-off saw and cut the moons off, making them flat nocks !! They work great, and saved me from selling or trading my arrows ! Thanks, Hawkeyemd
I've done the same thing to a bunch of my old moon nocks - just make sure to square them afterward - and it works great.

For whatever reason these GTs did not come with flats and I need to come up with a way to cut down the aluminum moon nocks. Maybe my bow shop here could do it with their saw.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

I find I can shoot either moon or flat nocks okay out of my Vortex. Just with moon got to keep the one vane down to line up on the string. :D
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

nchunterkw wrote: For whatever reason these GTs did not come with flats and I need to come up with a way to cut down the aluminum moon nocks. Maybe my bow shop here could do it with their saw.
A belt sander and then use a squaring tool.
Lightly take the sharp edge off with some sandpaper.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Ont_Excal wrote:
nchunterkw wrote: For whatever reason these GTs did not come with flats and I need to come up with a way to cut down the aluminum moon nocks. Maybe my bow shop here could do it with their saw.
A belt sander and then use a squaring tool.
Lightly take the sharp edge off with some sandpaper.
That will work for sure!!!! I once use a file on some carbon shafts with moon nocks smoothed them out nocks to flat came out real nice and true.