Serving gaps

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dougk

Re: Serving gaps

Post by dougk »

sumner4991 wrote:Your string shouldn't be worn like that . . .I can understand the seraration in the serving, but, something's happening with the string . . .just 40 shots? Looks like the string is hitting something . . .you using a cocking aid, and hooking the serving, right?

By the way, those tips are part of the limbs . . .you would have to replace both limbs, they are a matched set . . .if I understood your question correctly.
I am hooking the string and letting the hooks slide to the serving. Looks like I need to change that and hook the serving.

thanks
wabi

Post by wabi »

I put one hook (left side) on the serving with the hook tight to the rail, then pull the string back enough to be able to get the other hook on (about 3" is the way I adjust the cocking aid). Have both hooks tight against the rail before you start pulling the handles!

I also always put a few twists in the string before shooting. Even if it's above the second mark on the rail it will soon settle in.
Matter of fact - I seldom even pay any attention to the marks on the rail. I use my thumb as a gauge for brace height. My thumb is about 1 1/8" wide when pressed against the rail and I have always found that distance to be about perfect for every Excalibur I've owned.
wabi
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

I have seen the same type of fuzzies in the same location before which was a result of the person wearing gloves to preload the string to attach the second hook. ( Rough Seude leather) I also suspect that a rough heavyily callused left lhand could have the same effect.
They found it easier on the hands but was not so easy on the string however.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

dougk wrote:I am hooking the string and letting the hooks slide to the serving. Looks like I need to change that and hook the serving.

thanks
OK . . .that makes sense . . .yes, hook the serving, you don't want anything causing friction on the string.

I thought maybe the string was hitting your riser and if that was the case, then you would need a S5 system . . .which is a good idea anyway.

Keep shooting. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen