What is wrong?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Metro

What is wrong?

Post by Metro »

Went to shoot my new Phoenix today and there was a loud crack and my shot missed the target entirely hitting the backstop and breaking the bolt, upon inspection the bolt had damage just infront of one of the vanes and the vane nearest the damage was torn away. On the bow there was a scuff and a bit of the vane plastic on the the limb assembly near where it meets the main frame of the crossbow. In the first picture the yellow arrow is pointing to the bit of vane plastic and you can see where the bolt impacted the aluminum.

I thought I may have loaded the bolt off center so I cocked again to try a second shot and noticed the wrap on the string is way off center as shown in the pics, the wrap is noticeably off center when not cocked and it is painfully obvious when cocked. I took the pics and de-cocked. What is wrong? It seems as if one limb is stronger than the other and pulling the string off center which threw the bolt off center striking the frame of the limb assembly.

I have regular archery experience so I am not some rookie idiot, I gave up regular archery because of a shoulder problem and figured I'd try a crossbow. I am leaving for a hog hunt in 2 weeks and wanted to use this new crossbow.

The above text is a direct copy and paste from the email I sent Excaliber service dept. I have since learned the serving is cocking off center. No mater how slowly and evenly I pull that cocking rope the serving is ALWAYS way off center. Think I got a lemon?
Last edited by Metro on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Metro

Re: What is wrong?

Post by Metro »

VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Sounds like a partial dryfire - the arrow not seated tight against the string?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

There's a good chance your serving is not centred perfectly on the string which is not uncommon. You can check that quickly with a tape measure.

I had a hard time navigating around those big pics but it sounds like you had a partial dry fire. The arrow will still launch but the string slips under the arrow and rips the fletching off or damages it. :(
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Metro

Post by Metro »

The serving will not cock in the center no mater how slowly and evenly I pull the cocking rope.
Metro

Post by Metro »

The serving will not cock in the center no mater how slowly and evenly I pull the cocking rope.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Are you using a rope cocker? They are much more accurate. just a thought.
Metro

Post by Metro »

Yes I am using the rope cocker that came with the bow. I have now slooooowly and evenly cocked this thing a half dozen times and it is consistently cocking off center to the left. The right side will show by tape measure a little over an inch of serving and the left side will have almost an inch and a half.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Where ya at? If in the USA, call Danny Miller, he probably made your string. [740] 483-2312.

How many times did it shoot ok? The serving off center isn't a big deal but Danny will make it right or the factory will if you're in Canada........

What arrow were you shooting? Sounds like it was broke when you loaded it?
"Eze 18:21"
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Being I am old, Can you blowup the pictures bigger?
Metro

Post by Metro »

The arrow was fine, I inspected them when I opened the package and before shooting. The break happened from hitting the OSB backstop, that is not even pictured and there is a piece of plastic from the vane on the limb assembly you can see it in the pic. This happened the very first shot. I haven't shot it again and I won't as long as when I cock it the serving is off center.

This is very disappointing and I think it's goin back. I have a hunt in less than 2 weeks and I don't have time to deal with getting another bow and sighting it in.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Ive never made a string and am new at the crossbow thing but that string looks unraveled :shock:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Metro

Post by Metro »

Not that it matters but this bow is the Axiom not the Phoenix. I just saw that looking up my order info on Amazon.com
Metro

Post by Metro »

Well its a mute point now anyway, I've broken the bow down and boxed it up to send back. I've had a couple people mention now that the consistent serving off center sounds like defective limbs cracked limbs and possible limb failure in the future and I don't feel comfortable shooting this bow. I may just go buy another Xbow at Bass Pro or Gander Mountain so I'll have it in the next day or two and wait for Amazon the credit my card.

The big question now is will the bad taste of Excalibur stay in my mouth.
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Metro wrote:Well its a mute point now anyway, I've broken the bow down and boxed it up to send back. I've had a couple people mention now that the consistent serving off center sounds like defective limbs cracked limbs and possible limb failure in the future and I don't feel comfortable shooting this bow. I may just go buy another Xbow at Bass Pro or Gander Mountain so I'll have it in the next day or two and wait for Amazon the credit my card.

The big question now is will the bad taste of Excalibur stay in my mouth.
I think any other brand will make you puke :lol: Get an Excal you wont be sorry :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things