Shooting Distance

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Re: Shooting Distance

Post by vixenmaster »

I posted my opinion of the huntin yardage & the target shootin yardage. Now to ferther expound on subject is ppl's findings & their experiances while shootin. In huntin yer shots near or far will be dictated to you by the lay of the land area yer huntin in. The faster the the arrow the quicker it gets there, less time game animals have time to react. Most animals don't react to the Bow shot, its the arrows noise as it gets very close to them they react to!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Here is a simplified chart showing how long it will take an arrow to travel a given distance. This assumes it does not slow down during flight - but can be used for comparisons between different initial velocities.

The times are in seconds.

Anyone have any ideas on how long it takes from trigger pull to when the arrow leaves the string?

Speed, fps Shot Distance, Yds
10 20 30 40 50
250 0.120 0.240 0.360 0.480 0.600
260 0.115 0.231 0.346 0.462 0.577
270 0.111 0.222 0.333 0.444 0.556
280 0.107 0.214 0.321 0.429 0.536
290 0.103 0.207 0.310 0.414 0.517
300 0.100 0.200 0.300 0.400 0.500
310 0.097 0.194 0.290 0.387 0.484
320 0.094 0.188 0.281 0.375 0.469
330 0.091 0.182 0.273 0.364 0.455
340 0.088 0.176 0.265 0.353 0.441
350 0.086 0.171 0.257 0.343 0.429
360 0.083 0.167 0.250 0.333 0.417
370 0.081 0.162 0.243 0.324 0.405
380 0.079 0.158 0.237 0.316 0.395
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Limbs and Sticks wrote: I'm not aiming at the shoulder nor hunting bison, besides my tractor tire shot with heavy weights 500gr were beat by the 350gr at 20yds, I won't shoot over 40yds anyway and I hit what I aim at.
Wes,
I looked up your tractor tire post and that was not exactly an "apples to apples" test of arrow weight. You shot a 350 grain with a Magnus 2 blade right? And the other arrows had different BHs?

In more scientific tests a 2 blade head always out performs a 3 or 4 blade head when shot from the same bow/arrow combo into real animals.

And I'm glad you always hit exactly where you aim and that nothing outside of your control ever effects the animals you shoot at, that could possibly result in a "less than desirable" hit.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

FNARSCOT wrote:The question is not weather the bow can kill at a given distance it is can you. I have taken game at distance with gear that was chosen to do so and after lots of practice. Know you gear and know your limits. Only you can know what you can do with your gear. That said 50 yards is where I practice with my vertical bow and have killed at that distance. Every time, Did I start there ? Hell no it takes years of practice, everyday ,year round.Being new to cross bows I practice at 50 yds everyday. Will I kill at that range? I will let you know after I shoot for a while. How long ? Results will be different with everyone, My Matrix hits harder and flys flatter than any bow I ever owned .I shoot every day ask me I a year or two but If I were to guess 50 yds with the gear tuned is a goal within my reach. Is it for you? Only you know
It will do fine at 50 yards and beyond if you can do your part. I have an original Axiom and the furthest I've shot a deer was 53 yards. Complete pass-through and buried up several inches in the dirt about 10 yards beyond her. Arrow was a GTII with a 125 grain G5 Striker.

Each hunter has to determine what their effective range is. The Doe above was in a field feeding along peacefully. Broadside and I had a solid rest on the railing of the stand. Since I shoot at 50 yards and beyond quite regularly in practice, I had no doubt about the shot. I would only recommend this shot to those who have the confidence to do it.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

Why not make it a little more complex, Besides yardage is the target standing still or moving. Hogs hardly stand still. Some deer tend to not stand still during the rut. How much closer for a moving target? :shock:
Ride Hard ,Shoot Straight, Tell the Truth
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

nchunterkw wrote:
Limbs and Sticks wrote: I'm not aiming at the shoulder nor hunting bison, besides my tractor tire shot with heavy weights 500gr were beat by the 350gr at 20yds, I won't shoot over 40yds anyway and I hit what I aim at.
Wes,
I looked up your tractor tire post and that was not exactly an "apples to apples" test of arrow weight. You shot a 350 grain with a Magnus 2 blade right? And the other arrows had different BHs?

In more scientific tests a 2 blade head always out performs a 3 or 4 blade head when shot from the same bow/arrow combo into real animals.

And I'm glad you always hit exactly where you aim and that nothing outside of your control ever effects the animals you shoot at, that could possibly result in a "less than desirable" hit.

I don't hunt STUPID OR TAKE STUPID SHOTS, I'll say it again I hit what I aim at
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Proverbs 16:18
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
tradshooter

Post by tradshooter »

ok I would like to re iterate here............ ****** PLEASE READ******
This is about a question if you ever shot over the 50 yards...... not about speed or ethics. either yes you have tried or no....... not going to let this get into ethics....... Just a curious question that is all...... :) I apologize if this thread starts anything of argument nature.

Thank you for respecting others humble opinions
Steve
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

tradshooter wrote:ok I would like to re iterate here............ ****** PLEASE READ******
This is about a question if you ever shot over the 50 yards...... not about speed or ethics. either yes you have tried or no....... not going to let this get into ethics....... Just a curious question that is all...... :) I apologize if this thread starts anything of argument nature.

Thank you for respecting others humble opinions
Steve
We wont let It go there had enough of that for awhile to each his own Have a wonderful and delightful day :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

Saw Ted Nugent hit a running deer at 70yrds. Dropped like it was hit with a hammer. Dead right there. But he was shooting a recurve. And he is a super hero :roll:
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Sorry if this semed to get out of hand. I was just trying to make the point that these crossbows are quite lethal at longer yardages - but that you might want to up the weight a bit to make sure. Although I would never try it, I think my 575gr arrow would pass through a deer at 100 yards - it just might be from top to bottom though :mrgreen:
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Always a lively topic. Based on being around for several decades I have concluded that some folks just have a knack for certain skills. Hard work can hone these skills to a level most of us will never approach. As an example may I point out an archer/hunter from times past that hailed from my home state, Howard Hill. Just google a little about his exploits with arrows. Ethical limitations are directly related to ones proven abilities.
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

sipsey wrote:Always a lively topic. Based on being around for several decades I have concluded that some folks just have a knack for certain skills. Hard work can hone these skills to a level most of us will never approach. As an example may I point out an archer/hunter from times past that hailed from my home state, Howard Hill. Just google a little about his exploits with arrows. Ethical limitations are directly related to ones proven abilities.
Here here and very well said- Howard Hill Fred Bear were 2 of my hero's in archery :D
tradshooter

Post by tradshooter »

DaveShooter wrote:
sipsey wrote:Always a lively topic. Based on being around for several decades I have concluded that some folks just have a knack for certain skills. Hard work can hone these skills to a level most of us will never approach. As an example may I point out an archer/hunter from times past that hailed from my home state, Howard Hill. Just google a little about his exploits with arrows. Ethical limitations are directly related to ones proven abilities.
Here here and very well said- Howard Hill Fred Bear were 2 of my hero's in archery :D
I have to add as well Byron Furgusson and Fred Eichler!!!
Practice practice and more Practice!!!
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

If I could insert 1 point that was taught to me at a tender age. What ever you determine to be your hunting range your practice range should be 2x that. So if your max on game range is 30yds. you should practice out to 60yds. The extended range will make any mistakes standout . Helping you to correct them. Also try having somebody else watch for bad form .I have set up video to share a session and found mistakes also. I assure you modern gear(and most of the older stuff) will out preform the operator in most cases. F.Y.I. archery shots on game in Africa are crazy far and kill stuff much bigger and harder to kill than whitetails.
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String