Bear?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fred T

Bear?

Post by Fred T »

So say your in a ground blind and a big bruin decides to stroll on over for a look see.Should one yell and make lots of noise?Be quiet and don't attract attention?Hit him/her with bear spray,or if appears snarly a broadhead at short range?

I ask because there is the potential for bear in the area I hunt.I have never encountered a bear in the wild so not sure what a good course of action would be should the situation arise.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
vixenmaster

Re: Bear?

Post by vixenmaster »

You gotstid a tag ? Shoot the yogi! :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
lscha

Post by lscha »

Most of the time they just leave once they realize you're in there. Low noise will send him running. I wouldn't try to startle a bear if you know what I mean.

If you have a crazy one, an air horn would work as well as bear spray and safer for you too. :D
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
_woods

Post by _woods »

What style bear reside in your area?
The black bear that we have around here will flee for nothing more than an audible "get outa here"
Not sure how Grizz, or Browns would react, but I assume their response would be different?
Last edited by _woods on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Eclipse
Home-brewed D10 Flemish string
GT II III w/ 175 'Tricks
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

Give it a taste of an arrow.Don't give it a chance to get to close.In most case's a bear is more scared of u them himself ,unless it's a she with cub's, Black bear run just like deer,Unless it's cornered.Ive shot a few black bear at 20 yard's is the closes't to me anyhow.Just be ready to shoot.
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
Oppie

Post by Oppie »

If it's a blackie, just a bit of noise will do it. Where I live in Pa we're infested with em, no real problems other than stealin your garbage bag an scattering it all over the neighbors property :lol:
Just Makin Wine on the Hill!
Exocet 200 wth Leupold Crossbones, Munch mount
xcaliber FFF strings
VM FFF Strings
Black Eagles Executioners Wth Blazers
Slick Trick 100
timbikeride

Post by timbikeride »

I normally just give them a smack on the rear end and they run off. :D

Most of the black bears I've ran into take off once they smell or see you. A "shoo bear" will send them packing. A sow and cubs can be very different though. I once had two cubs run up a tree while momma just stood there and glared at me while I slowly backed out of sight.
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Yes it is strickly blackies in our area.No tag but I might get one which would open up another target option. :) So I gather as long as it is not a sow with cubs there's a high likelihood it will bail If I make some noise.

Oh and the Ibex will be cocked and ready to play just in case.
Last edited by Fred T on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

Fred T wrote:Yes it is strickly blackies in our area.No tag but I might get one which would open up another target option. :) So I gather as long as it is not a sow with cubs there's a high likelihood it will bail If I make some noise.
10/4
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Black bear, just be human and they will head for the hills.

I am able to conceal carry my Ruger New Model Blackhawk on 45 Colt loaded with my hand loads of 310 grain LBT style hard cast lead bullet with H-110 powder for Black Bear and Gray Wolves here in Michigan.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I would just call Boo and ask him what to do. :lol: :lol: :lol:
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

Dont trust any black bear. :wink: they all have different personalities.I live in north west Jersey where the bears dont act normal. They are all used to people and most have very little or no fear of humans. The ones that are dumpster diving today could be the same one you come across a mile away in the woods tomorrow. I usually see just as many bear and sometimes more than deer where i hunt. :roll: I've had more experiences where the bear stays it's course even when I stand and make noise. Then have to retreat for it to pass. I've even been caught in a situation where the bear came to within twenty feet or so of me (in ground blind made of branches. Was too late to make noise or retreat for fear of startling it.) Can't carry in N.J. :roll: so I always keep bear spray @ the ready and rarely hunt from the ground with bow. Once had one eating out of my garbage when I pulled up @ home in dark. Would not leave till he was able to drag bag with him.They can be pretty brazen around here where they are used to people. :wink:
Good luck and be safe
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

As was just mentioned it depends on the bear, usually a blk bear takes off the second he catches your scent, if not, yelling and making yourself look big usually will make em take off running , but, as said, if its a bear thats used to people and is not scared of you, I consider that a dangerous bear. My thinking is if that bear sees you and does not run off, be Very careful, he will be very unpredictable.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

UPSMAN wrote:I would just call Boo and ask him what to do. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Or just say Boo if I see one. :P
The bears around here are not used to people so they hopefully still have their fear of them.We can't carry hand guns and I'm sure a CO would frown on a loaded 12guage being in the blind during bow season.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

If your nervous just get some bear spray, they usually have a holster to attach to your belt, just be careful spraying while in your tent blind or you will end up with burning eyes also lol Cost you around $25 but you will have peace of mind.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone