Nikon Pro Staff Crossbow Scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hawkeyemd

Nikon Pro Staff Crossbow Scope

Post by Hawkeyemd »

Forum Members: Has anyone had the above scope ? If so, what are the Pro's 'n' Cons ? Let me know ! Thanks, Hawkeyemd
Deerstalker

Re: Nikon Pro Staff Crossbow Scope

Post by Deerstalker »

I have the Nikon Bolt Xr crossbow scope mounted on my Equinox and I believe that it is a great scope.
This scope does NOT have a speed ring and uses small circles for 30, 40 & 50 yard targets. I estimate that my bow shoots about 320/340' sec and it is dead on for 30 & 40 yards after setting the X hairs for 20 yards. I can't find a Pro Staff Crossbow Scope in the Nikon line. Do you have a link?
Example of 20 yard shots using the Nikon.
Nikon site:
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Niko ... index.page
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
bman940

Post by bman940 »

If you go to Nikonhunting.com and look under Crossbow scopes you will find the Bolt XR. My son and I have used mine to shoot apples at 60 yards. Utilize Nikon's Spot On ballistic Program to enter the fps of your crossbow and the weight of your bolt. Pretty awesome accuracy.

Bart
Nikon Pro Staff
Huronsteel

Post by Huronsteel »

What kind of rings do you have holding that baby on
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

That Bolt appears to be a nice and compact little fella.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I put the Weaver Black Matte Tactical # 48349, 1" medium rings on my Equinox using the Nikon Bolt Xr scope.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I used a Nikon 2-7x Prostaff shotgun scope on my Exomax for a while. I like my Leupolds but I really cant say anything bad about the Nikon.It was clear and bright and worked fine.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I had the Nikon bolt scope. It had great glass nice and clear. With good eye relief.

One big disadvaantage is it has no speed ring to adjust the 30 to 60 yard aim points. Also I was not a big fan of the circle reticles. It claimed to be designed for a bow shooting 305fps. My bow was shooting this speed and the longer range aim points were way off.

If Nikon did some research on building an effective crossbow scope they would sell a ton of them.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
SkOrPn

Post by SkOrPn »

Hawkeyemd wrote:Forum Members: Has anyone had the above scope ? If so, what are the Pro's 'n' Cons ? Let me know ! Thanks, Hawkeyemd
The only Crossbow Scope I know of being made by Nikon is the Bolt XR.

Pro's:
I love my Nikon mainly because of how much light it gathers. It is super bright when looking through it and crystal clear optics. They also have a java site that you can use to figure out exactly the yardage for any arrows you may use. Just select the arrows you are using and the speed and it gives you a guesstimate of where each reticle hits at. Example 20 yards, 40yds, 50yds, 60yds etc.

Con:
What I do not like much is the fact that the scope is quite short making me have to position my eye further forward than I would like (I have a neck injury that gets painful when I move my head forward over dead center of my body). I had to get the ADF just so I could have an extra 1" more of rail length and then I mounted it using an off-set scope mounting ring system for an extra inch or so to the rear. Now it is comfortable to shoot, no more neck pain and deadly accurate to boot. Not sure if this will be a con to you but it was for me.

Other than that the price is right and the optics can't get any better.

Good luck with your scope selection...
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

Been wondering about that Nikon XR Crossbow scope.So after reading this I ordered 1.I'll use my vari zone this season and put the Nikon on my Axiom for next season.It does look short so I hope it has enough eye relief. :shock:
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

The bolt XR, is actually part of their pro staff line of optics. I have nikon scopes on several of my rifles and love their BDC system which is basically what their bolt scope is. The price of the Nikon bolt scope can generally be found at a very attractive $130 which is comparable to the cost of their other pro staff scopes.

Another option is to look at a low power BDC scope (say 2-7 for example). You would basically have the same system used by most Excalibur scopes but in a much brighter package and you would have a horizontal line crosshair rather than a circle. This would also give you some options to upgrade to their buck master or monarch scope lines if desired for even better optics.

The other nice thing about Nikon scopes is that they come with a lifetime warrantee.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em