When are you happy?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Whats speed did you become happy on a 200lb bow?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:54 am

300-310
29%
311- 319
32%
320-325
7%
326 -330
14%
above 330
18%

Total votes: 28

wheelie

When are you happy?

Post by wheelie »

Reading a post in trading post makes me wonder and ask a question. Advertised speeds on a 330FPS bows. On a 330 bow I got to 318fps and was happy and stopped fiddling with it.

Now my Question:

What speeds did you stop at and be content with on a bow advertised as a 330FPS bow?
UPSMAN

Re: When are you happy?

Post by UPSMAN »

Are we ever satisfied. Would like to get my bolt traveling at "light speed" if I could.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Honestly Kevin I was happy when I shot a deer with my wolverine many years ago . Doing maybe 250ish . Complete passthrough . :)
Now my bow doing 312ish does the same thing and is a passthrough . I`m happy with the harvest . :D
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

UPSMAN wrote:Are we ever satisfied. Would like to get my bolt traveling at "light speed" if I could.
True.

This is all new to me since I just went to full time crossbows this year.
tman74

Post by tman74 »

My Exocet 200 was shooting at 310 ish and I liked that way. I didn't intentionally set it up to reach that velocity, it just ended at that speed once I had it shooting the way I liked it. My old nox was shooting the gonads of gnats at 330 ish, and my favorite little hybrid vixen is shooting around 285.
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

I heard it real well once by a bow hunter" Speed kills air" -Not that speed isn't important but a lot of other veriables that come into play as well too. Yes it is also true a lot of todays bows/crossbows have gotten a lot faster than the bows of the past- but if you give me a 80 or even a 90 lb crossbow for example and say I or someone else shoots a deer with that bow and the deer drops dead Well isn't that what it's all about in the end? Another words simply a lot of bells and whistles on a newr line of bows doesn't mean it's any better than bows say from 10 or 20 yrs ago-Just- mho :D
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

depends on how fast of an arrow want to have, depends on how bad of a vibration you want from light fast arrows....I went up to 550gr arrows in my exocet and have them cruzin at 290FPS now with a straight fletch....I just bought my next dozen arrows and thinking of dropping 50gr off arrow to 500gr and gain some speed with a 1 degree straight fletch to gain a bit of spin :wink: ....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

As I have posted many times - I do not chase speed. I like a heavier arrow for less vibration and all the advantages I believe it gives me while hunting. That being said, I shoot Flemish strings and have my 525gr arrows in the 295fps range
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
MJK

Post by MJK »

I have no idea how fast my Exocet 200 is. It really doesn't matter either, as long as it drops what I aim at I'm happy.
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

I have hunted with the old Horton 150lb bow for many years we cut are arrows down as short as we could and shot 90 grain punch utter heads and was very happy untill one day mister bill t came in to are shop and was talking about the excals cross bows. I got my first one out of his car trunk and have never looked back . lots has changed in 25 years of bow hunting for me and I find that speed is not everything learning to shoot what you have is going to get you a lot farther in the deer woods then just having all the speed in the world nothing makes up for practice and I find 3 d shooting to really help come hunting season. Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
mitch

Post by mitch »

Unread postby dutchhunter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:24 pm
I have hunted with the old Horton 150lb bow for many years we cut are arrows down as short as we could and shot 90 grain punch utter heads and was very happy untill one day mister bill t came in to are shop and was talking about the excals cross bows. I got my first one out of his car trunk and have never looked back . lots has changed in 25 years of bow hunting for me and I find that speed is not everything learning to shoot what you have is going to get you a lot farther in the deer woods then just having all the speed in the world nothing makes up for practice and I find 3 d shooting to really help come hunting season. Dutch I agree with that 100% well said
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D :lol: my vortex is around the 310-330 range, not as fast as some others, but my bear hated it!!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I find this poll very interesting. :shock: Out of my Phoenix I was shooting 290. 15 Fps slower than advertised. My 200lb bow was 307 fps 23 fps slower but when I used same arrows as ones out of Phoenix it jumped to 318 fps. There was 17 fps between the two bows. Now shooting same arrows I am 28 fps difference. A much better jump. Big bow is 12 below advertised speed. Now shooting 392 grain arrows out of all three Excaliburs. First year with a crono as I likely never noticed these things before.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

with the older xcal's before the new matrix came out, each bows speed was based on 350gr arrows shot from the xbows....i'm not sure what the min weight arrows these new xcals are, but I am perfectly happy with my 2008 exocet 200 :wink: ....
exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Seems a lot of folks are happy with a 200lb bow shooting under 310FPS. :shock: Seems 40 some grain off arrows adds 11FPS. I now shoot 400 grain arrows on all my Excaliburs.

Now I ask, Excalibur sells 150 grain heads for all bows. What 20 inch arrow do they sell that weights 200 grain to get their speeds on a 350 grain arrow? :? I want to buy a half dozen. :oops:

I have 70 grain field points. do they make 50 grain points? :?