R.E.D.S. on a Matrix 355

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lvt01

R.E.D.S. on a Matrix 355

Post by lvt01 »

I added a set of R.E.D.S. on my 355 a while back. Had shot the 355 for a while before I bought them and noticed that my string was slapping the riser before I added them. With no lines to go by I wasn't sure how far back I should move the string. I kept twisting the string until it was about where I had the strings set on my other Excals, but it still did seem to be getting kind of close to the riser. By the time I got the R.E.D.S., I had twisted the string to where I thought was a sweet spot for it. After I installed R.E.D.S. I saw that I had to still twist the string a little further in order to have it off the bumpers a string width or so.

At first I thought I noticed quite a bit of reduction in noise and vibration, but over time I don't think there was a much difference as I had first thought. I went to a heavier arrow...an Easton FMJ. Left them at a full 20 inches, added 110 grain brass insert and fletched it with some Blazers. Now that really made a noticeable difference in sound and vibration overall. Mind you...I'm not a person that obsesses over the loudness of a crossbow. As far as I'm concerned, the arrow will get there in great plenty time before the deer will react. Usually I like to keep the front end of my bow clean and don't want a lot of unnecessary stuff to add weight when I'm hunting.

So...my next thought was to take the R.E.D.S. back off and see what changed. Well....as far as I can tell nothing much changed in noise or vibration. I guess my whole thought here was...what real good do they do? They do serve as a little extra insurance for limb protection in case of a dry fire, but as far as any real sound or vibration dampening I don't think they do a lot. Now this wasn't a real scientific comparison, but just my observations...just in case someone is going ask me about real evidence. :wink:
Boo

Re: R.E.D.S. on a Matrix 355

Post by Boo »

I ground a third of the ball of to increase bumper life and to me they lower the noise and maybe shock afterwards. I have a couple of dB meters but never measured it because bumper life a was all I was interested in.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Boo wrote:I ground a third of the ball of to increase bumper life and to me they lower the noise and maybe shock afterwards. I have a couple of dB meters but never measured it because bumper life a was all I was interested in.
I agree , I make mine so they are only 1/8 pass center and if you shoot them and put a pair of factory ones on the shorter ones seam to have less noise . As far as longevity I have over 1000 shots on my Axiom and I'm on the same set. As far as my Matrix only have about 200 shots on them and they are still good.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Yes...I understand what you're both saying, but basically all they seem to be doing is cushioning the string a bit. As far as for noise or vibration dampening I don't see that they do anything. If that's all that is being accomplished by having them installed is to cushion the string, I'll take my chances without them. I would think that if Excalibur was really concerned about limb damage they would have them installed at the factory as part of the 355 package like they do on the 380. I don't mind having pieces on my bow that really serve a purpose, but for the 355 I don't see a real need or benefit to having a set of the R.E.D.S. installed.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Just make sure that your string isn't hitting the riser.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Yes...I saw that it was hitting the riser before the bumpers were installed, but now I know where the brace height should be set to keep that from happening. They do come from the factory with the string set way too close to the riser....at least mine was. Thanks!
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I never shot my Matrix 355 with the stock string or without Dan's bumpers.

I bought Danny Miller's Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers, Dan's version of the R.E.D.S. He sells the set for $25.00 which is far less than Excalibur's R.E.D.S, last longer and replacement bumpers are also far less expensive.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

lvt01 wrote:Yes...I saw that it was hitting the riser before the bumpers were installed, but now I know where the brace height should be set to keep that from happening. They do come from the factory with the string set way too close to the riser....at least mine was. Thanks!
Strings will creep, even in the box. So the BH could be set at the factory, but because the strings stretches, the BH will creep closer to the rail...some adjustment may be necessary with any of these bows, simply add twists to increase brace height.

They're right about modifying the REDS, it makes a huge difference for sound and vibration. It will extend limb life in the long run and could even save your scope from vibration that could shorten its shelf life too. I wouldn't be so quick to discount them.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits