Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dave31

Broadheads

Post by Dave31 »

I have the new Martix 380, I love it. However I am having some trouble using spitfire broadheads. I bought a rinehart broadhead target just to make sure the spitfires were really hitting like my field tips.First shot was about 1 inch low at 20 yards. Adjusted up, next shot was 3 inches low and 2 right. Thought I may have had a slight earthquake in the area, next shot was even worse. 3 inches low and 3 to the right. This just keep getting worse until the 5th shot when one of the blades broke. I also shot the same arrows during this time with field tips and was dead on!
Is this bow to fast for spitfires? I've been using them for years out of my Horton Black Hawk (about 300fps) with no problems.
Do I need to change to a fixed blade? If so what brand, I've always used spitfires and have no experience with fixed blades.
vixenmaster

Re: Broadheads

Post by vixenmaster »

Model fast but what type of fletchin do yer arrows have ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

A great fixed blade head is a slick trick they are a short profile and tough as nails I use the 175 gr four blade and blazer veins out of my Equinox and they fly true to the field points .
Make sure you are using a heavy enough head to get good front of center balance.
A heavy arrow at high poundage = dead stuff.
Also a arrow squaring tool is a great item to use to help tighten up broad head groups
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Dave31

Post by Dave31 »

Using an 18 inch Easton Carbon Bloodline 10.5 GPI, total weight is 440gr including the 100gr broad head with a 3 inch BTV vain.

Thing shoots like a rocket with field points.
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I been testing broadheads for my 380 and the 125 gr montec g5 shoots very good for me out to 50 yrds I got them on a zombie 18 in with blazers
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Tennessee Rebel

Post by Tennessee Rebel »

Shooting Diablos with 125gr Slick Trick mags on my 380. Shoot with the field points to 40 yards. Now if I could just see the 8pt that keeps passing my stand and camera while Im not there!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Dave31 wrote:Using an 18 inch Easton Carbon Bloodline 10.5 GPI, total weight is 440gr including the 100gr broad head with a 3 inch BTV vain.

Thing shoots like a rocket with field points.
What fletch ? Straight-right helical- right off-set? If'en its straight it maynot do well out on longer yardage
Half Bubble Off BD360

Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Get your self some magnus stingers or ss snuffers or g5's and go hunting....
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Dave31

Post by Dave31 »

Thanks to all who replied. Not sure just yet which one i'll go with, one more question; I have been using 100rg heads, should i go with one a little heaver?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Dave31 wrote:Thanks to all who replied. Not sure just yet which one i'll go with, one more question; I have been using 100rg heads, should i go with one a little heaver?
Only if'en you need abit extra weight
Half Bubble Off BD360

nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Lots of guys on here, me included, find that higher FOC gives you better accuracy. So my recommendation is to go heavier than 100 if you don't want to change out inserts. 150 gr Slick Tricks are great as are 150 gr Magnus Stinger 2 blades. If you can get FOC up to ~20% with an insert I really like the Montec CS too.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Dave31

Post by Dave31 »

that would put my arrow at about 4 90Gr, is that too heavy
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Most of the folks that shoot 3D foc is under 15% a lot under 10%, bh's are a problem for some, just build a better stick and problem solved
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

I shoot NAP spitfires out of my 355 just fine. I am using the 125 grain heads though with 110 grain brass inserts in BEE arrows to get more foc. Instead of wrecking a good broadhead though, buy yourself some of the practice blades to sight in. You can just take the 3 blades out of your broadhead and put the practice blades in. Saves on broadheads and definitely saves on your target. I don't bother much even using the practice heads, cuz the spitfires shoot almost exactly the same as my fieldpoints.
Dave31

Post by Dave31 »

Went to the bow shop, they didn't have the slick trick so i went with the x-cal bolt cutters.Figured they are from x-cal so I can't go wrong. Well they sure don't fly like a field tip. After about 40 shots, yep 40 shots I got them hitting ok at 30 yards. Been shooting crossbows for 30 years, do I pull a shot now and then, yep sure do, but not this much. Just having a hard time with broadheads on my martrix 380. Field points shoot great but i can't hunt deer with them.
Still looking for help!