Finding Cock vane in Dark

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JPjunkie

Re: Finding Cock vane in Dark

Post by JPjunkie »

tradshooter wrote:The cock feather was used and still used for the traditional bow shooters as my arrows have the cock feather as I use wood arrows with my recurve bow. With Crossbows and the use of carbon and aluminum bolts it is not really needed. Mind you with todays varieties of coloured vanes some people are colour specific and like to have their own colour combo. It is just a mind set where people think an arrow is an arrow is an arrow and every arrow needs a cock feather. Not so....

Like as mentioned if your in a tournament I can see being specific. Other wise lock and load and whackem and stackem!!!!
Well Said
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Put some glow in the dark paint on it
wabi

Post by wabi »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:
8ptbuk wrote:
Limbs and Sticks wrote:I didn't think there was such a thing with Excal Xbows, like said FLAT NOCKS
Most xbows shoot more consistant when the stiff side( spine ) of the arrow is located at the same position on the rail each shot . If I dont do this the GT2's Im shooting varies up to 3 to 4 inches at 40 yds . When I get the RIGHT vane in the slot I get 2 inch groups all day . Search spine matching the veteran xbow shooters have alot of post on spine matching and indexing . :D

I don't have this problem with alum., no cock feathers, Im not going to get into the veteran thing
Not sure what it takes to qualify as a veteran but after trying a dozen carbons years ago I went back to aluminums the next season. Do most of my shooting (target practice) at 25 yards and they all stay in a 1" target dot at that range without worrying about arrow orientation. Close enough for me, and I like the K.I.S.S. method when it comes to hunting.
wabi
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

It depends on what you're shooting. For field points and probably most mechanicals, just load and go. If you shoot a fixed blade it can make a difference depending on what type of head it is. I line the 2 bigger blades on mine up vertically in line with one vane so yep I have a cock vane, thru trial and error I've found I get a little better accuracy and consistency from shot to shot this way.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
strum

Post by strum »

im in the habit of using the same cock vane but I agree with whats been said so far .
for hunting I don't think it matters...when you say you are getting 3-4 in groups at 40 yards when not using the right cock vane then to me you need some different arrows. that's a big difference.
I to use the gt 2 s and have very good luck with them ..I have never even messed with spine.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Put the cock vane facing downward in the quiver, load it the same way it comes out of the quiver, without turning, and you will be good to go.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

YOU COULD USE A FLORESCENT COCK VANE AND A BLACK LIGHT, WHICH MAKES FLO GLOW IN THE DARK AND DON'T SPOOK GAME.
Even a red light will do the trick.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

If I have an arrow that shoots to a different poi than the rest of my arrows I try rotating which vane I put in the slot, alot of the time I can get it to group with the others by doing this . The one that ends up in the slot is what Im calling my cock vane . Im basicaly just getting the spine of all the arrows at the same place on the rail . Spine indexing the poor mans way . Thanks for all the comments and advice . :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

8ptbuk wrote:If I have an arrow that shoots to a different poi than the rest of my arrows I try rotating which vane I put in the slot, alot of the time I can get it to group with the others by doing this . The one that ends up in the slot is what Im calling my cock vane . Im basicaly just getting the spine of all the arrows at the same place on the rail . Spine indexing the poor mans way . Thanks for all the comments and advice . :D
8 pt : I do the same thing. Sometimes they fly good no matter what but sometimes it can make a BIG difference
I notice it more with my G.T II's also.
JIM
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

If your shooting moon knocks you can feel the dip in the knock with your fingers only one way to load the arrow in the crossbow that way even in the dark the cock feather should be down in the barrel or the track of the bow :D
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

LongCarbine wrote:
8ptbuk wrote:If I have an arrow that shoots to a different poi than the rest of my arrows I try rotating which vane I put in the slot, alot of the time I can get it to group with the others by doing this . The one that ends up in the slot is what Im calling my cock vane . Im basicaly just getting the spine of all the arrows at the same place on the rail . Spine indexing the poor mans way . Thanks for all the comments and advice . :D
8 pt : I do the same thing. Sometimes they fly good no matter what but sometimes it can make a BIG difference
I notice it more with my G.T II's also.
JIM
I do the same thing. I figure if I can get that type of accuracy by using a cock vane, why not? When I build arrows I first find the spine and thus have a cock vane. Works well for me.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I do the same thing. I figure if I can get that type of accuracy by using a cock vane, why not? When I build arrows I first find the spine and thus have a cock vane. Works well for me.
That was exactly my point... for my particular arrow and broadhead combination I get a little better accuracy and consistency by lining up the heads a certain way then loading the arrow the same way, hence the use of a cock vane. I'm not saying every setup will do the same thing, but for me it makes a difference in how the arrow flies and where it hits. As always YMMV. If nothing else it gives me confidence in my equipment and that is worth the time it takes to set my arrows up the same. :D
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Kegbelly wrote:That was exactly my point... for my particular arrow and broadhead combination I get a little better accuracy and consistency by lining up the heads a certain way then loading the arrow the same way, hence the use of a cock vane. I'm not saying every setup will do the same thing, but for me it makes a difference in how the arrow flies and where it hits. As always YMMV. If nothing else it gives me confidence in my equipment and that is worth the time it takes to set my arrows up the same.
X2 ! I do all this because I really enjoy trying to make my xbow and arrows as accurate and consistant as possible .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

8ptbuk wrote: X2 ! I do all this because I really enjoy trying to make my xbow and arrows as accurate and consistant as possible .

I'm the same way. I like to tinker and doing this is a win win for me. It might not help me kill a deer....but then again it just might in the right situation.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
hillHuntR

Post by hillHuntR »

I was surprised to read how many don't use a cock vane, but I do used fixed blade heads. I use 2219 aluminums with 125gr slick trick standards on an Axiom SMF. With the wrong vane down I can be off up to 6 inches at 30 yards, which is unacceptable to me. This has also been the case for my Dad (same setup as me) and friend (carbon arrows and 150gr slicks). Could just be our equipment, but marking cock vanes I can often shoot a 2 inch group across 3 arrows at 40 yards. I make a large star on the cock vane with a black sharpie....can usually see this before I can see my scope crosshairs very well.
Axiom SMF
Redfield Revenge
2219's n' Slick Trick Std 125's

Exomax
Hawke 1" 1-5 SR
BEE's n' Slick Trick Std 125's