Finding Cock vane in Dark

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hillHuntR

Re: Finding Cock vane in Dark

Post by hillHuntR »

I was surprised to read how many don't use a cock vane, but I do used fixed blade heads. I use 2219 aluminums with 125gr slick trick standards on an Axiom SMF. With the wrong vane down I can be off up to 6 inches at 30 yards, which is unacceptable to me. This has also been the case for my Dad (same setup as me) and friend (carbon arrows and 150gr slicks). Could just be our equipment, but marking cock vanes I can often shoot a 2 inch group across 3 arrows at 40 yards. I make a large star on the cock vane with a black sharpie....can usually see this before I can see my scope crosshairs very well.
Axiom SMF
Redfield Revenge
2219's n' Slick Trick Std 125's

Exomax
Hawke 1" 1-5 SR
BEE's n' Slick Trick Std 125's
Boo

Post by Boo »

hillHuntR wrote:I was surprised to read how many don't use a cock vane, but I do used fixed blade heads. I use 2219 aluminums with 125gr slick trick standards on an Axiom SMF. With the wrong vane down I can be off up to 6 inches at 30 yards, which is unacceptable to me. This has also been the case for my Dad (same setup as me) and friend (carbon arrows and 150gr slicks). Could just be our equipment, but marking cock vanes I can often shoot a 2 inch group across 3 arrows at 40 yards. I make a large star on the cock vane with a black sharpie....can usually see this before I can see my scope crosshairs very well.
Have you tried more helical? Your basic set up sounds good.
As far as having an indicator for which side is up a you should be able to feel a dot of paint laid between the fletchings.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
hillHuntR

Post by hillHuntR »

I have not tried more helical yet Boo...these are just the standard prefletched 2219 arrows Easton puts out. Getting into fletching my own will happen someday. I have been happy with the axiom for 2 years now....2 deer down last year to this combo. Just takes a little longer to sight in spinning each arrow to find the best vane.
Axiom SMF
Redfield Revenge
2219's n' Slick Trick Std 125's

Exomax
Hawke 1" 1-5 SR
BEE's n' Slick Trick Std 125's
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Use scissors or sharp knife and put a tiny notch in the back of the down vane.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"