Finding Cock vane in Dark

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8ptbuk

Finding Cock vane in Dark

Post by 8ptbuk »

Anyone got any tips for finding cock vane in the dark after getting in your stand without cutting on your light ? Dont wont to scare any game away. Mine are all the same color . Thanks :)
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
vixenmaster

Re: Finding Cock vane in Dark

Post by vixenmaster »

I have used a small piece of scotch tape to mark the vane. Can feel it in the dark, pull it off and load the arrow
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
FNARSCOT

Post by FNARSCOT »

If the word vane was missing I would worry :shock:
Ride Hard ,Shoot Straight, Tell the Truth
Matrix 380 Blackout
Xcaliber Custom String
wabi

Post by wabi »

With flat nocks there is no need to orient a cock vane. I usually fletch 3 identical vanes on my arrows and never worry about which one is where.
wabi
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

Cock vane Schmock vane put the sucker in there and shoot the deer your not aiming for a certain hair I think we over think this you have a ten inch radius to kill the deer Hunting is supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing Go have fun and dont over analize this stuff Happy Hunting
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
_woods

Post by _woods »

JPjunkie wrote:Cock vane Schmock vane put the sucker in there and shoot the deer your not aiming for a certain hair I think we over think this you have a ten inch radius to kill the deer Hunting is supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing Go have fun and dont over analize this stuff Happy Hunting
Aim small, miss small...
Last edited by _woods on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Eclipse
Home-brewed D10 Flemish string
GT II III w/ 175 'Tricks
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

_woods wrote:
JPjunkie wrote:...I think we over think this you have a ten inch radius to kill the deer...
Aim small, miss small...
If your shootin at quarters :lol:
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I color the arrow shaft from the vane back with a Silver Sharpie Marker. There is usually enough light to see it, and if there isn't you can't shoot anyway :mrgreen:

They make Sharpies in Silver and GOld metallic. Works. great.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You can wait til its light enuff to see & be legal on shootin time. You usually can see well enuff before its legal shootin time to get the marked cock vane in the arrow channel.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I didn't think there was such a thing with Excal Xbows, like said FLAT NOCKS
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:I didn't think there was such a thing with Excal Xbows, like said FLAT NOCKS
Most xbows shoot more consistant when the stiff side( spine ) of the arrow is located at the same position on the rail each shot . If I dont do this the GT2's Im shooting varies up to 3 to 4 inches at 40 yds . When I get the RIGHT vane in the slot I get 2 inch groups all day . Search spine matching the veteran xbow shooters have alot of post on spine matching and indexing . :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

8ptbuk wrote:
Limbs and Sticks wrote:I didn't think there was such a thing with Excal Xbows, like said FLAT NOCKS
Most xbows shoot more consistant when the stiff side( spine ) of the arrow is located at the same position on the rail each shot . If I dont do this the GT2's Im shooting varies up to 3 to 4 inches at 40 yds . When I get the RIGHT vane in the slot I get 2 inch groups all day . Search spine matching the veteran xbow shooters have alot of post on spine matching and indexing . :D

I don't have this problem with alum., no cock feathers, Im not going to get into the veteran thing
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:I don't have this problem with alum., no cock feathers, Im not going to get into the veteran thing
I hope I didnt offend you in any way . certainly didnt mean to . :D

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

8ptbuk wrote:
Limbs and Sticks wrote:I don't have this problem with alum., no cock feathers, Im not going to get into the veteran thing
I hope I didnt offend you in any way . certainly didnt mean to . :D
We are only saying that its not as critical for hunting 3 inches is not perfect but more than likely your gonna kill the animal If your shooting in 3D tourneys where money or trophys are involved then I could understand the micromanaging but if your hunting its good I got my 380 got it out of the box put it together within 20 minutes of messin with it I was ready to kill something Me myself I dont 3Dshoot so if Im off an inch every once in a while I will still be eatin backstraps Ive learned over the years not to get offended over what other people say or do :D
tradshooter

Post by tradshooter »

The cock feather was used and still used for the traditional bow shooters as my arrows have the cock feather as I use wood arrows with my recurve bow. With Crossbows and the use of carbon and aluminum bolts it is not really needed. Mind you with todays varieties of coloured vanes some people are colour specific and like to have their own colour combo. It is just a mind set where people think an arrow is an arrow is an arrow and every arrow needs a cock feather. Not so....

Like as mentioned if your in a tournament I can see being specific. Other wise lock and load and whackem and stackem!!!!