Tact Zone Scope issue

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Jab

Tact Zone Scope issue

Post by Jab »

Any advice on this is appreciated. Do I have a bad scope?

Today I put together my new Matrix 380 Lite Zone bow and I have an issue with the tact zone scope. The issue I have is with the amount of windage and elevation clicks it took to adjust it at 20 yards.

The scope and rings are mounted correctly and all is tight as the instructions say. I bench zeroed it so, movement was kept to a minimum.

The issue I have is with the amount of windage and elevation clicks it took to adjust it at 20 yards.

I found that at 20 yards, I had to move it 25 + clicks to make the poi move down only about 1 inch; at times it seemed the elevation adjustment had no effect on the POI.

Similarly the windage took much more than the stated 1/2" per click at 20 yards; I had to turn it the same amount as the elevation to move the POI right about 1 inch at 20 yards.

Now I have the bow zeroed and it is shooting great, but I am very concerned there is something wrong with the scope as it should have not taken that many clicks to move it an inch at 20 yards.

The instructions say each click should be 1/2" at 20 yards, so 20 clicks should have moved it 10"!!! clearly something is wrong !!
one shot scott

Re: Tact Zone Scope issue

Post by one shot scott »

Did you shoot at 30, 40 & 50? how did it do?
there is instructions that came with the bow to adjust for a 50 yard shot, did you do that or only sighted in for 20 so far?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Jab

Post by Jab »

Yes I only sighted it in at 10 yards then 20 yards as the scope manual says and recommends.

Come to think of it, maybe the manual is wrong. How can the tiny single clicks change the Poi 1/2 inch at 20 yards? Hard to believe this is correct.

Maybe the scope is ok. Maybe it is the instructions that are wrong.
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Manual is correct. 1 click per 1/2" at 20 yards. Scope tube slid into the rings OK...no binding or pinching? A lot of times the scope doesn't slide into the rings completely and holds the scope up or down just enough to cause a lot of problems.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I think the manual suggests shooting at ten just to make sure its close, then shoot at 20 to dial it in.

Then you shoot at 50 and see if your hitting high or low, if low then dial the rear fps dial down, hitting high: adjust up

Im curious what its doing at further ranges now that you 20 is set.
Fishous

Post by Fishous »

Yes, it sounds like the scope is bad.
Mike
Excalibur Matrix 355
Jab

Post by Jab »

Thanks for your input guys; I have sent an email to the good people at Excalibur for help on this. I hope that the scope is not bad as I need it now to go hunting and cannot wait weeks to get a replacement LOL.

I was just thinking that each small click cannot alter poi by 1/2 inch as they are too tiny/small increments.

The picture of the knob in the manual seems to indicate that a "click" is a quarter turn as it only displays 4 points/clicks at 12AM, 3PM, 6PM and 9 PM (tried to post a picture but got message that the board attachment quota has been reached). Is it possible that this is what was meant by a click?
Fishous

Post by Fishous »

No, the click would be the marks on the scope, one click is about 1/8" around the dial. It sounds like the scope is toast, and even if you could get it sighted in, it might not stay sighted in. It may be why the clicks don't seem to move the point of impact to start with.
Mike
Excalibur Matrix 355
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

Would be interesting to know if it holds, now that you have it sighted in at 20 though. Might want to call Excalibur too. They should get you fixed up pretty quickly.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

If it holds zero and your fifty lines up it is fine to hunt the season and worry about it when season is over. Till you test longer yardages you are fretting over absolutely nothing!
Boo

Post by Boo »

wheelie wrote:If it holds zero and your fifty lines up it is fine to hunt the season and worry about it when season is over. Till you test longer yardages you are fretting over absolutely nothing!
Agreed, if a bad scope is going to show itself it will be obvious at longer ranges.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

wheelie wrote:If it holds zero and your fifty lines up it is fine to hunt the season and worry about it when season is over. Till you test longer yardages you are fretting over absolutely nothing!

Yup...agree with wheelie!
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

I would agee if you are only going to be shooting paper targets.
But as hunter you have an obligation to have the full confidence in you weapon to do its job .
Which clearly you have doults.
Call Excalibur first thing and get their take on your situation .
They may be able to either clarify if the scope as it is will do its job or not.
Further more being you live in southern ontario a quick solution if replacement is nesscary may be a short drive or delivery away.
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Jab

Post by Jab »

Thanks guys. I do not have confidence in this scope as it is obviously defective - happens once in a while - just happen to be the lucky one LOL. I really like the rest of the Matrix 380 bow and package though. I know Excalibur will take care of me with the scope as they are super at providing help and stand behind their products.

Until then I will not use it for hunting even though I did manage to get it to drive tacks at 20 yards by cranking the heck out of the knobs LOL. I will just have to use my vertical bow till then (I like all kinds of archery LOL).