Meat Buck - 2013 Edition!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

korey99

Meat Buck - 2013 Edition!

Post by korey99 »

So far the 2013 season has been a great one...seeing deer practically every time on the stand this season...out in the woods 6 times and saw deer 5 times! This makes up for all of those times sitting there and not seeing any...it seems to come in waves. Enjoy it while it's here, and remember them when the next dry spell comes along.

This weekend was the best. Saw five does Saturday morning, two NICE bucks Sunday morning, and then this guy today. All different deer, so there are lots left for my newbies who I'm trying to put in front of one for the first time.

My young fellow wanted to go with me today (he's 8 years old)...so I obliged and woke him at 5:30 this morning. When I did, he woke up super excited, telling me he had been dreaming about deer hunting right before I woke him. I guess the passion must be in the blood!

We were up our stand by 6:30AM. In August I put up an extra ladder stand right beside mine so he could sit up a tree with me. I cammed it in with a commercial product that uses a metal safety bar and camo tarp. He's in there pretty solid so I need not worry about him falling out!

We heard lots of fun woods noises as we awaited the sun to rise. We heard something distinctly cross the river just as the sun was coming up. Our eyes met at the same time, and the excited look on his face was priceless! That's what it's all about.

Fast forward about an hour, and I spot movement out in the tall swale grass field I'm overlooking. Lukas is watching the woods behind me, where we saw a nice doe last weekend. I lean over and tell him I see a deer. He manoeuvres himself around to see the deer, about 100 yards out. He gets pretty pumped up. I tell him to not move too much, as deer have excellent eyes, and if they catch movement in our direction, he'll go the other way. Training a new hunter is the most satisfying part of being in the woods..passing on the tradition is very important to me.

Back to the deer....He starts moving across the swale, and not towards us. I didn't know he was a buck initially. I pulled out my doe bleat, and did three calls. Curiosity got to him, and he changed direction and headed our way. That's when the heart began to pump! He wasn't in a hurry, and we lost sight of him in and out of the swale grass that was over this bucks head. It wasn't until he 'reappeared' 60 yards out that I knew he was a six pointer. I managed to follow him as he moved along, turning and walking parallel to our stand at about 50 yards. It never works out perfect where they simply walk up to your stand and let you shoot them, does it?!?!

I whispered to Lukas to sit tight, and not move - it was 'show time'! The buck hung out in a clump of thistles at 45 yards, facing away from us (all I could see was the tail). I considered the bleat again, but thought I'd wait to see what he does next. Low and behold he turns around and starts coming right towards us! I had the Vortex up and ready to go. I was going to wait to see if he'd come closer, but at 40 yards he turned perfectly broadside, and began nibbling some field grass. I normally don't take shots at that distance, but I didn't know if he'd continue my way, turn around, or any of the other million choices this deer had. I had considerable time to hold steady on him, so I put the crosshairs on him, and whistled the GTII with a 100gr Slick Trick and Lumenok in his direction. He 'startled' at the release, and dropped slightly - this may have been good for me, since I estimated him at 30 yards while he was 38 yards away!

The shot sounded good, as it had the hollow sound you hear when it strikes the 'engine room'. He turned and trotted back through the swale grass, and I was lucky enough to be able to watch him as he left. He slowed to a walk, and that's when I began to think "WTH?!?". That's when you second guess your shot. I was thinking "Please just fall over!". He continued on, but just as he was going out of sight, and noticed him stumble, and then heard a crash. I was thinking this is good, but wasn't going to be too confident in our success. We waited up the tree for 15 minutes, giving him time to bleed out.

Once we got down, Lukas and I found the Lumenok arrow fairly easily, and it had solid blood on the shaft. We proceeded to stalk hunt over towards where I last saw him, just in case he was still alive. We found him close by, and after ensuring he was not going to run away, we exchanged high five's and a few 'whoohoo's'!

Deer down. Meat in the freezer, and a young man now hooked on deer hunting for many years to come - even AFTER witnessing the field dressing process!

A perfect Thanksgiving Day for this Dad and his son!

Last edited by korey99 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
slider

Re: Meat Buck - 2013 Edition!

Post by slider »

Wow...great story.....loved it and with your son life gets no better!!

Thanks for sharing the details and pics!
2008 Phoenix
Illuminated FireBolts
100 g spitfires
Varizone
Flemish String

Always try your best!
wackafew

Post by wackafew »

Way to go Dad. Now you are going to have to get your son an Excaliber. 8)
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I don't know how it could get any better than that ! Congrats to both of ya !
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Way to go and Congrats to the both of ya- What a great story and memory you will both have forever :D
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats to both of you on yer excitin hunt good deer & good recovery. I enjoyed yer story much
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D great story!!!and shot!!!! congrats!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Congrats on a fine day hunting!
Great story!Nice pics!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats and great story!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats on the buck! That is a real nice looking deer, I like that! :D :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Excellent story!

The deer were really on the move today.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Nice buck, excellent story and what awesome one on one time with the boy, good on you dad !!
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

That is THE BEST deer hunting story EVER! You are his hero!
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Congrats to dad for teaching and getting the job done! Congrats future hunter for sitting quiet and taking it all in like a champ! Awesome story/hunt! Congrats again.