String stretching and twisting.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

learn2flyfish

String stretching and twisting.

Post by learn2flyfish »

I've caught some talk around about having a string stretched prior to installation.

How long does this take? Also, I assume that twisting the string is to bring it back between the witness marks if it stretches beyond?

This tightening if the string begs the question, are there bows that perform better closer to one witness mark or the other?
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
vixenmaster

Re: String stretching and twisting.

Post by vixenmaster »

Stretchin a string takes some of the creepitous out of it fer the owner. It takes as long as it takes, some material may creep fer months. Twistin or untwisten is fer yer brace ht. Yup some models jus like their string at a certain ht. jus have to play wid it! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boo

Post by Boo »

Unless you are talking about Dacron modern materials don't really creep. What does cause the string to creep is squeezing out the wax from between string strands and string fibers.
How long does it take? Depends on how the string is tightened, how much wax and temperature. If I crank the pressure on daily mine are on a rack for up to a week or so. If I can check a couple of times a day it takes about 3 to 4 days. Once a person gets one of my strings it takes about 2 to 3 days and 50 shots depending on ambient temperature.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

learn2flyfish wrote:This tightening if the string begs the question, are there bows that perform better closer to one witness mark or the other?
Sorry, I missed this. There are a couple of things to consider. If there is a string stopper then you want a balance between bumper life and bumper effect. But at the same time you want the string to part from the arrow before the string makes solid contact with the bumpers so you want a good space between the bumper and the string.
If no bumper is involved then you want to experiment with the brace height a whole bunch. Start at one inch from where the rail meets the riser and move up. Treat it exactly like a traditional bow. Move back unit you get the accuracy you are looking for. Generally for hunting you don't want to waste speed so stick to about an inch from the riser. If you are looking to tweak a bit more move up. There is no one place that anyone can tell you where that is because it is dependent on the string (material, weight, type, serving, etc), arrow spine and arrow weight. Be open minded about where the brace height is best for you. It may be anywhere between 1" to above the upper most brace height line.
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

Boo wrote: Sorry, I missed this. There are a couple of things to consider. If there is a string stopper then you want a balance between bumper life and bumper effect. But at the same time you want the string to part from the arrow before the string makes solid contact with the bumpers so you want a good space between the bumper and the string.
If no bumper is involved then you want to experiment with the brace height a whole bunch. Start at one inch from where the rail meets the riser and move up. Treat it exactly like a traditional bow. Move back unit you get the accuracy you are looking for. Generally for hunting you don't want to waste speed so stick to about an inch from the riser. If you are looking to tweak a bit more move up. There is no one place that anyone can tell you where that is because it is dependent on the string (material, weight, type, serving, etc), arrow spine and arrow weight. Be open minded about where the brace height is best for you. It may be anywhere between 1" to above the upper most brace height line.
Forgive my ignorance but you're speaking a little Greek to me.

When you say Brace Height, is this the height of the string off of the rail? Or is it the distance of the string from the receiver when looking down from the top of the bow?

I have zero experience with any bow so this is all new to me.

Thanks
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Boo

Post by Boo »

With these bows brace height is measured from where the riser meets the rail.
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

Boo wrote:With these bows brace height is measured from where the riser meets the rail.
So if I understand correctly, if the stirrup is placed on the ground, the brace height would be decreased by twisting the string so that the string will move forward toward the riser? It would be increased with a less tight string that would move it in the direction of the trigger.
Boo

Post by Boo »

learn2flyfish wrote:
Boo wrote:With these bows brace height is measured from where the riser meets the rail.
So if I understand correctly, if the stirrup is placed on the ground, the brace height would be decreased by twisting the string so that the string will move forward toward the riser? It would be increased with a less tight string that would move it in the direction of the trigger.
The tighter the string, the shorter the string, the higher the brace height, the closer the string is to you, the further the string is from where the riser meets the rail.
A is where the brace height is measured from, B is the lowest brace height, C is the highest brace height mark.
Have you been to my website?
learn2flyfish

Post by learn2flyfish »

Boo wrote: Have you been to my website?
I had visited briefly but just went back and found your reference material. Thanks for the information.

Paul
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

learn2flyfish wrote:
Boo wrote: Have you been to my website?
I had visited briefly but just went back and found your reference material. Thanks for the information.

Paul
You should read the whole thing :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I haven't used Excal strings for a while now, got Boo's. Here's a few tips on using them. If your stock Excel sits too high above the high line, push down on the string toward the riser, aka the Miller push, lol. If you shoot the FFF [which used to stretch or creep like the dickens,] leave your xbow cocked over night a time or two. Set the FFF about 3/8" high above the mark before leaving it cocked, it will save you a bheight adjustment or two.

If you 'break' a string in, pin the end loops together w/ a twistie tie or paper clip, will go back on w/ same bheight which will give you same poi as long as the new string is same type as the old one. Some serious hunters carry a spare string ready to go.........

I like my bheight where the serving is just touching the 'high' mark also called 1 1/8"............Have fun!
"Eze 18:21"
rotty1

Post by rotty1 »

learn2flyfish wrote:I've caught some talk around about having a string stretched prior to installation.

How long does this take? Also, I assume that twisting the string is to bring it back between the witness marks if it stretches beyond?

This tightening if the string begs the question, are there bows that perform better closer to one witness mark or the other?

It took me about 30 shots until i had to twist mine i twisted it 7 or 8 turns.
mndoggie

Post by mndoggie »

awshucks wrote:I haven't used Excal strings for a while now, got Boo's. Here's a few tips on using them. If your stock Excel sits too high above the high line, push down on the string toward the riser, aka the Miller push, lol. If you shoot the FFF [which used to stretch or creep like the dickens,] leave your xbow cocked over night a time or two. Set the FFF about 3/8" high above the mark before leaving it cocked, it will save you a bheight adjustment or two.

If you 'break' a string in, pin the end loops together w/ a twistie tie or paper clip, will go back on w/ same bheight which will give you same poi as long as the new string is same type as the old one. Some serious hunters carry a spare string ready to go.........

I like my bheight where the serving is just touching the 'high' mark also called 1 1/8"............Have fun!
I wish I'd seen this tidbit about a week ago. Just changed strings to have two relatively new ones...
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I'm a little confused by one thing... I've put new strings on my bow a couple times now, and with a new string I start out with a higher brace height than I normally shoot, which causes the the POI to be higher, then as the string settles in and brace height gradually drops, the POI gradually drops as well. But with a lower brace height you supposedly pick up a few fps so shouldn't the arrow hit higher? More fps = flatter trajectory = higher POI? Seems contradictory, you'd think as brace height drops and arrows pick up speed the POI would raise, not drop. :?:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I've owned a number of different excal's, all had a different BH to maximize there best speed and accuracy, they range from 5/8 to 1 3/8, arrow weight and what string was used all play a part in this, 1'' BH is where to start. I had to modify my sts to do this also to get the BH i needed. Have fun
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers