Rainy Day Matrix Games

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fishous

Rainy Day Matrix Games

Post by Fishous »

It's raining today, so I decided to go out in the shop and play with the Matrix 355 a little.

First I wanted to do some sound tests. Not scientific by any means, but the software developer in me thought maybe it would tell me something.

I used my iPhone and an app called Decibel 10th to record sound levels. This was outside (between rain clouds), at 20 yards, as to prevent target noise, with no quiver, Diablo arrows with a 125 grain field tip, and 5/8" brace height. The phone was 4 feet in front, and 3ft off the ground.

Stock (no REDS): 97db
The rest of these were with the REDS:
Stock with REDS: 95db
With REDS and tape on stirrup: 92db
With REDS and NO stirrup: 94db (louder!)
With REDS, no tape on stirrup, with gasket: 92db
With REDS, with gasket, with tubing on stirrup: 93db (didn't seem to help)

My conclusion is that the REDS make the biggest difference, and pretty much everything else done with the stirrup didn't make a lot of difference. I think most of the noise comes from the string and the limbs. I didn't do multiple shots of the same configuration due to the impending rain.

Electrical Tape on Stirrup:

Stirrup Gasket:

Surgical Tubing on Stirrup:

Next I remembered someone asking if you could laser site a crossbow. Thinking about the laser sites I have, I thought that it would probably be pretty easy. I put my 30-06 shell casing laser under the arrow holder.

At 20 yards it lined up pretty dang close to the 30 yard reticle.
Here's a shot in the shop, which was about 28 feet, which is pretty much on the 40 yard reticle, which is about where it was at 40 yards also (it started raining, so no photo of that). Even at 40 yards the left/right was right on:
Mike
Excalibur Matrix 355
vixenmaster

Re: Rainy Day Matrix Games

Post by vixenmaster »

Interestin, we all have to do sumpin in the rain if'en were not at work. I don't work so i spend my time doin honey do's. What you did was better n more fun
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
lvt01

Post by lvt01 »

A little more sophisticated than what I tried before, but came to about the same conclusion. A little better with the Reds, but not a lot of difference. It would have been interesting to see what the difference was if you had some heavier arrows to try. I think they also make the bow quieter....a long with the Reds.

Larry
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Very interesting! I like tinkering also an gave up on the sound thing an shoot all my bows bare without anyting :D cool laser idea!