Hunting Public Land

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Chris Dillard

Hunting Public Land

Post by Chris Dillard »

I only hunt fair chase deer on Public Hunting Land, I starting wondering how many other crossbow hunters only hunt Public Land :?:
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax
sipsey

Re: Hunting Public Land

Post by sipsey »

Chris,

Have shot some nice deer on the "Forever Wild" land near here. Also used to hunt some of the "Corps" land with good luck.
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Since i bought my small place, i no longer hunt deer on public land
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Since i met a friend of a CEO of a corporation whose company owns 116 acres within city limits,i no longer hunt public land.I used to hunt an Army base called Fort McCoy!Great hunting there but a 3hr ride to do it.
I now have a 30 min ride.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
rayman

Post by rayman »

Public land around here gets pretty crowded, but bow season is usually not too bad. I'm fortunate enough to have plenty of private land to hunt on though. :)

Oh yea, no hunting with crossbow during bow season on public land in Florida but fine on private land.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Public land is to far away and unfortunately it seems that everyone with private land wants a lot of money to hunt on it.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Both. Been hunting leased land, but still hunt Nat Forest and WMA land some too.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

I mostly hunt private land ,but on occasion i'll hunt public ,with good success.The trick is to stay all day and go deep off the beaten path.Most hunter's that hunt public land use rd bed's to go in on .At least around here .I hunt where there are no rd's in the forest .I like to hunt the cohutta's in ga.big forest and lot's of un hunted ground's if you go deep enough.Have to cross a few gully's to get to where i go.
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

I have hunted both private and public-here lately been hunting public close to Cesar Creek lake. But I would love to hunt Lake Hope which is in Vinton County Ohio- Nice big tall trees and an open tree forest for clean shooting lanes-Have taken a lot of Deer in both those places through the years of bow and gun hunting-Lake Hope is a very beautiful place here in Ohio :D
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

The Nat. Forest land here is pretty rugged terrain, its just about all ridges and "hollers", and anything behind a gate is closed to any kind of motorized vehicle. I've shot deer and hogs first thing in the morning and literally spent the rest of the day trying to get them out, even with help. Often wondered if its worth it. I still hunt public lands some, but I'll tell ya straight up I like private land a whole lot better, you've got a lot more control over things, and if you do have success its a lot easier to bring one out on a ATV, I'm getting too old to be hauling deer out on foot. And we absolutely DO NOT bait or hunt feeders, IMO its every bit as much a fair chase harvest as on public land.
Matrix 380
Exomag
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

(sorry, double post, must have double clicked by mistake)
Matrix 380
Exomag
steve rodo

Post by steve rodo »

I pack me in some 3 gal plastic baggie's if i go deep here in ga mountain's .To much work to get them out .I take what i can and leave the carcass .
30 lb's of meat is better then 150 pd deer dragging.

My climber and pack weigh in at 25lbs plus deer meat coming out in baggies.I dont have a problem toting out 60lb's on my back .
2013 380 excalibur X 2 BEE arra's 465gr loaded out arra . HHA Optizimer Lumenocks Red 150gr boltcutters Trigger Teck 1.5lb Dan's Custom String C2 Crank .24% FOC 105KE

A True Friend Never Lie's.
Chris Dillard

Post by Chris Dillard »

Steve I pack the majority of my deer out also.
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

Here in Jersey private land is hard to come by. :roll: Unless you know someone personally or a relative. Have been in a few clubs that leased land over the years but they never seem to last for one reason or another. :? Can be pretty expensive too. :shock: I now hunt only public land. but if and when the opportunity arises and I can afford it I will gladly take private over public. :wink:
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Chris,

I grew up wading the swamps also. Last year I ran 2 miles down a small stream, then unloaded a 10' kayak and paddled the slough systems. I was wondering as to how you scout these areas. I wind up scouting far more than I actually hunt. I am always looking for that "perfect" setup and it can be quite elusive. As my age increases exponentially, I seem to enjoy scouting as much as the hunt.

Anyway was wondering how others approach scouting these remote, swampy areas.
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines