Summit Viper clanking when I walk

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Normous

Re: Summit Viper clanking when I walk

Post by Normous »

I use padded back packing straps on my Summit...much more comfortable with them.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I think that is the way I will go Norm, I like the release on the current straps, but more comfort is welcome too.
I am not one who thinks about comfort or weight when I hunt, most times I have all my gear, plus my kids gear, and half the time carrying a kid too.. But I do notice the sharp edges of my climber straps when I walk and not geared in heavy clothes.
Jenn will fix that for me, once I get it quiet enough.
One step at a time..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
strum

Post by strum »

I was referring the third hand straps that connect the top to the bottom.
I liked these on the lone wolf..made it rock solid in the tree. and you crisscross them to strap the stand together which makes it nice and snug
as far as shoulder straps go I have never like the ones that come with the viper but I use em..my new one has bungee type straps. the bungee makes it have a little give ..or I guess I should say some bounce..i like these better than the others but I think im going to find something padded...
like already said they come together at the top at a V I would rather they were separated..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I will have to find the aftermarket straps, any little bit can help!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Just Googled the Third hand straps, looks perfect for holding everything tight.
My climber gets used at least once a day during archery season, and anything I can add to it will help.
They look like the same straps that hold the top of the viper together during transport, is that right?
If this stand was a once a week thing I would be less concerned, but I seem to be blowing out a lot of deer the last little while.. This is the only thing I am missing compared to prior years.
WMU 91
Boo string
strum

Post by strum »

Pydpiper wrote: They look like the same straps that hold the top of the viper together during transport, is that right?
go to their site and watch the video. im going to try them because I see they will eliminate the strap that connects the top to the tree and the one that connects th top and bottom together in case you drop the bottom..
and they stay connected to the stand so no more looking for the strap on the ground in the dark if you drop it.
im all about how fast I can set up and pack up...any wasted moves bug me .
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

strum wrote:
Pydpiper wrote: They look like the same straps that hold the top of the viper together during transport, is that right?
go to their site and watch the video. im going to try them because I see they will eliminate the strap that connects the top to the tree and the one that connects th top and bottom together in case you drop the bottom..
and they stay connected to the stand so no more looking for the strap on the ground in the dark if you drop it.
im all about how fast I can set up and pack up...any wasted moves bug me .
I like that, and thanks again!
WMU 91
Boo string
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Pydpiper wrote:I will have to find the aftermarket straps, any little bit can help!
IIRC mine are Allen padded straps. Not the best thing on the market I'm sure, but they work, big improvement over the original ones. The MOLLE straps as mentioned are good heavy duty padded straps, if I were to do it over I'd probably go that route with the quick release MOLLE II straps. They're pretty reasonable on ebay.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

The third hand straps look like a perfect fit for a climber think i will have to get me a pair!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
DanO

Post by DanO »

I have a Viper Summit as well. Thanks for posting the concern Pydpiper. Some great information here.
Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

https://www.net4sale.com/Shop/pc/viewPr ... ategory=12

I've always wondered if this stuff would work for us . . .rubber in a can. Sounds messy, but, could work on a variety of noise issues.

There's a good youtube video on the stuff too.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Ghostman

Post by Ghostman »

Summit stands while comfortable are notorious for being noisey when carrying and climbing.

Get a Lone Wolf and your noise problems will be solved.
Excalibur Exomax
Scorpyd Vent.
TenPoint Stealth SS
Hawke Scopes
BEE Arrows
Flex Fletch Vanes
Rocket & Slick Trick Broadheads
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Ghostman wrote:Summit stands while comfortable are notorious for being noisey when carrying and climbing.

Get a Lone Wolf and your noise problems will be solved.
It is only noisy when I carry it, but getting quieter by the day.
Climbing or decending it is very quiet, I had a few deer in the field after legal light last night, they never budged as I went down.
I need the comfort, had a fall a year or so ago, and the Viper is now my favorite place to sit. Probably the only place I can sit for a couple hours without it bugging me.
WMU 91
Boo string
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Pydpiper wrote: I need the comfort, had a fall a year or so ago, and the Viper is now my favorite place to sit. Probably the only place I can sit for a couple hours without it bugging me.
X2

My Goliath is the most comfortable I have ever been in the woods.
Kegbelly wrote: The MOLLE straps as mentioned are good heavy duty padded straps, if I were to do it over I'd probably go that route with the quick release MOLLE II straps. They're pretty reasonable on ebay.
These are the Molle straps attached to a Goliath. They make a world of difference when transporting the stand but it takes a little longer to break it down and set it up.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1612912

I also removed the rapid climb stirrups. I tend to be duck footed anyway so they were just in my way.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Same here Pydpiper, I've got lower back problems and a bad knee so about 2 hrs is my limit before I start squirming and have to alternate between standing and sitting.
Anyone had problems climbing down with the Goliath? Going up is no problem but I've almost got stuck a couple times coming down, with the added weight and length of the goliath platform, when it digs into a soft-barked tree sometimes I have a tough time getting it to pull it free again, so I stay out of certain kinds of trees. :oops:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers