First range session with Excalibur

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

learn2flyfish

First range session with Excalibur

Post by learn2flyfish »

Put an ad out looking for an Excalibur Vixen or Axiom recently. Problem was, I found great deals on two bows, an Axiom and an older Vixen. I couldn't make up my mind, so I bought both.

Contacted some folks here and Mr. Miller to get a couple of rope cockers, stringing aid, extra string, arrows, broad heads and field tips.

The Axiom had a scope mount so I chose to shoot it first. Got the glass installed headed to the range. I only had an hour or so before the Alabama game came on so I just shot at 20 yards to get an initial zero. I did notice that two of the arrows shot better groups than the other two. I will heed the warning about shooting the same point of aim. I had a couple of close calls like the one pictured.

Now I can't wait to try the Vixen. It has peep sights right now but I'll probably scope it too.

I'm wondering about follow through. I was totally loosing my sight picture during the shot cycle but was holding pretty light. What is your technique?

Thanks,

Paul

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Kegbelly

Re: First range session with Excalibur

Post by Kegbelly »

Congrats on the new bows! I shoot with both eyes open, makes it much easier for me to pick up the arrow in flight. A crossbow doesnt recoil in the same sense like a rifle kicks, there is some recoil but then it seems like it "jumps" and its easy to lose your target in the scope. Shoulder it firmly like you would a gun and hold steady after the shot. Use a good rest if possible when you're sighting in.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I hold the buttstock tight into my shoulder, it allows me to watch the arrow thru scope in flite
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

I'm new to this crossbow stuff too.Lots of good info on this site.I got the cheek piece from Danny and put on my Axiom.It feels more natural and better to me now.You might want to get one.
cdn.redneck

Post by cdn.redneck »

congrats on your new toys :mrgreen:
just remember not to shoot 2 arrows at the same dot, unless you want to see what a robin hood look like!
Leupold crossbones
Mathews Monster 7.0
Black Eagle - Carbon Express - Easton